SATOURDAY 2015 - free museum entry, last Sat. each month in Frankfurt

70 posts in this topic

For all of those folks who are new to Frankfurt, the last Saturday of each month is Satourday, which means many of the museums are free.

Check out:

Museum of Modern Art

Archaeology Museum

Communication Museum

Jewish Museum

Judengasse Museum

Historical Museum

Museum of Applied Arts

Museum of World Cultures

Bible Museum

Film Museum

Architecture Museum

Dom Museum

Kinder Museum

There may be others, but I lost my pamphlet with all the listings, will post again when I find it. This is a great way to see the musuems. I do know that the Städel and the Liebig Haus are NOT free.

Well, I made it to the Archaeology museum, which by the way has a wonderful exhibit on the "white gold" of the Celts. All about the salt mines in Hallstatt. It is all in English too. It is only there til the end of April, so make sure you see this. I quite enjoyed it and I also like all the Roman stuff that they found in Nida. Also went to the Museum of Modern Art. Some nice exhibits, but I am glad I did not pay, as about half the space is getting ready for new exhibits opening up on 6 Mar. Has anyone else been to the Angel Dust exhibit across the street? Tell me what YOU think. Went to the Historical museum last, as have been there many times. They have the Saalhof chapel part closed off. I do like looking at the model of old Frankfurt and the pictures. The Frankfurt through the ages section is pretty good too.

so, there is my trip report. Where did you go?

Thanks for the tip. I just happened to check the forums yesterday, saw this post and decided to drive up to Frankfurt. I probably would have otherwise just stayed home all day. Do anyone know of similar things in other cities in the area? It seems like lots of cities do this, or maybe it's a Hessen thing. About 2 years ago I remember going to Wiesbaden, I think, for something similar. All the art galleries were open and free to the public. It was interesting because you got to see all different styles and types of art. Germany has lots of interesting things to do and see, the problem is just finding out about them.

I believe the museums in Berlin are also free on the first Sunday of each month.

YAY! the museums are free again today. To add to my earlier lists since I found my brochure:

- Ikon Museum

I am going back to the Museum of Modern Art to see the new exhibits that went up 6 Mar. then a quick trip into the Judengasse Museum simply cause I haven't been in there for a while, then the Architecture Museum. I went in there at the Museums Ufer Fest, but want to take a longer look and they have some new exhibits too. The Dom museum can be seen really quickly if you have been in there before, but it was all kind of dark and mysterious looking yesterday when I went by, so maybe they have something interesting. Then, if time allows and cause I have never been there before, maybe the Icon museum.

To end the day, always a stop in the Communication Museum at "Das Cafe" for a cappuccino and the best brownies in town. Seriously delicious brownies.

Well, I have to take a bit of my post back. Not all the museums want to let you in for free each month. The Dom museum said only if I was a family, singles have to pay. The Communication Museum also said no, but they are cheap anyway. The Judengasse Museum was fine and the Museum of Modern Art and the Architecture museum all let me in.

So, next month if you are planning on visiting any of the museums on the last Sat. you might want to call first and find out their policy. I apologize for the somewhat false information. The brochures are a bit misleading.

i got into Städel and Liebig Haus free when i went on the last Sat of May! there're so many museums along the same stretch that i think it doesn't really matter if a few of them aren't free after all. haha.. i find it strange that the museums are still relatively empty even though there's free entry. the museums in singapore tend to be flooded whenever there's free admission. singaporeans (incl me) just LOVE free stuff :D

mmmmm.. brownies! shall make a stop there when i go museum-hopping on the last Sat of June :D

That is great you got in, maybe they changed theier policy. The last time I was there and tried it a very dour faced man told me very seriously that "this museum is never free". Haven't picked up the new schedules yet for this half of the year, but will try and find one today.

You can pop into the cafe at the Communication Museum anytime without needing to pay entrance fees. Nothing like a Brownie fix to brighten up your day!

Just a reminder, today is "Satourday". The theme this month seems to be magic and or witches with special family workshops in many museums. So have fun!

Also the Berger strasse fest is today and tomorrow too.

Thanks for posting this. I have tried to find out about the free saturdays by going to each museum's homepage but couldn't really find anything about it.

All the museums and the tourist info office will have the new brochures. They come out every 6 months and tell what workshops and themes will be presented each month. You usually can get these brochures without having to pay an entrance fee.

So, what did you go see?

I went to the Jewish Museum to see "Raub and Restitution" which I thought was really good. I hope lots of people go see this. It is quite a large exhibition and won't be there forever. I think just til Sept. perhaps. Then a sort of quick visit to the Archeology museum to see their new exhibit. It was kind of interesting, but tons of text and nothing in English. They do have a nice little video set up over in the area where they have stuff from the area in front of the Dom, etc. It is a nice computer generated film about the palace and churches that used to sit there and where the Dom is. You can pick your choice of language too. This was the best part of the museum for me today, though the skeleton and grave goods from the Celtic lord that they found in the city forest is cool.

The lady working there said the frescoes over in the cloister part are open now, but not on the weekends. Weird. Anyway, these are supposed to be REALLY fantastic. Can't wait to go see them. This is a separate part and not part of the Archeology museum in case you want to go see them.

The architecture museum was free today and has a very interesting photographic exhibition all about Las Vegas c.1969, on the top floor.

Does anyone know why the archeological museum is covered in yellow plastic strips?

That is the Historical Museum with the yellow strips. The Archeology museum is in the Karmeliter Church and Cloister.

Those strip are supposed to symbolize the long hair and fingernails from Struwwelpeter. (sp?) This is a famous childrens book written by Heinrich Hoffman and it is his 200 birthday this year. There are benches all over town with info about him. He was a Dr. over at the mental hospital once located where the IG Farben building is now. Mark Twain liked this book so much that he translated it into English for his daughter. You can still buy this translation today in bookstores.

Thanks for the clarification, "the one with the statue" and "the convent one" are actually not very good definitions at least not outside my own head! Is the Archeology Museum worth a visit? I wanted to get there before my Museums Card ran out but have missed our now.

I would never have never associated the plastic strips with Struwwelpeter in a million years, even knowing its the anniversary year, I thought of giant flies, I thought of Cristo, but not the naughty boy who never washed... maybe thats where the flies come into it?

Yep, it's that time again. This Saturday, 25 July. The Raub and Restitution exhibit at the Jewish Museum is only there until 2 Aug. so you really should go see this if you have the chance.

I keep giving my Satourday brochures away, so don't have the theme for the workshops this month. Oh double drat! Will have to pick one up today when I get downtown, or if someone else has one handy, could you post the theme? I want to say cooking or witches and magic, but this is probably wrong.

Still find the yellow strips on the Historical Museum funny. They do look like Fly Strips!

The brochures are in every museum as well as the Tourist infos. I think I have all the museums listed that are free on one the posts here. I wish the Dialog museum was free too, but it isn't. Been wanting to go there for a long time now.

Did check out the new exhibit in the Architecture museum. Pavillions and the White City - Tel Aviv. The Pavillion one was really cool and interesting. The White city not so much.

Fun Lego thing for kids though. 3 euros to enter and play and buiild with tons of lego. I could see taking a kid there and spending the day!

Hi Frankfurters

...I wil be there in Farnkfurt this week... is there any musuem you would recommend in particular?

Regards

KP

MoMA? Frankfurt is not New York (yet ;)), Frankfurt's "MoMA" = Museum für Moderne Kunst

I would like to add the Städel, a great permanent art collection with some well-known masterpieces and interesting temporary exhibitions, nicely presented.

Perhaps also the Historisches Museum for local history. Other museums are worth a visit, too, of course; in fact, the choice really depends on your interests.