3,4 Ct to UK with Deutsche Telekom

16 posts in this topic

For those poor fools (me as I work for DT) using Deutsche Telekom and can't be hassled with Call-By-Call or preselection, you can get 3,4 Ct a minute to the UK (instead of standard 12,3ct) or 3,7 Ct to the US (standard 12,7) just by:

- going to the www.t-com.de website,

- search for Country Select (or CountrySelect, not sure which)

and select one of the links

- fill out the online form

- enjoy 3,4 Ct 2 days later onwards

Why Deutsche Telekom?

- because you're too lazy to use preselection

- you like a clearer line than most call-by-call or cheap operators

This is not a "I get cheaper that DT" thread, or "I have XXL" thread ok? Its for the lazy people...

I do not know it is this service or not, but I had a similar country select plan to call the US and it was fine until I tried to end my phone bill. You have to give three months notice that you want to end this plan. I still do not understand the logic for that. What I believe is the purpose is that you have "newbies" who haven't heard of billiger-telefonieren.de and do not know about the vorwahls. They purchase this thinking it is a great idea and the next month when they realise that they pay more per minute with this than with the vorwahls then they have to still pay for three more months. Maybe a good service (doubt it), but beware the notification schedule.

Careful now!

http://www.telekom.de/dtag/agb/dokument/pd...384,1145,00.pdf

is where you find the price list.

Now. Look at the small print if there are *'s beside your country.

** (for Ireland) = Zuschlag von 25c je angefangener minute (what?? a 25 cent supplement for each minute on top of the advertised price per minute??!!??)

Price per minute including the advertised 3.5 cent... 28.5c

*** (for the UK) = Zuschag von 28c je angefangener minute, + the advertised 3.4 cent per min = 31.4 cent per minute.

Its for the lazy people...

Exactly the type of person DT is looking for. One who does not really know what they are letting themselves in for.

"Deutsche Telekom - always read the label"

the extra 25c is for the first minute, as far as my translation reads it.

je : every

angefangener : starting

je: every

angefangener: starting

minute: minute

every minute starts, which means a 9 minute 59 second conversation is charged at 10 mins and a 10 minute 1 second conversation is 11 mins.

Its like at a car park... you usually pay per hour and not part thereof, regardless of how long the final "hour" is.

It doesn't mention per second billing

and now for maths for calling Éire

============================

30 sec call (25+3.5) = 28.5 cent

1 minute 30 sec call (25+3.5*2) = 32 cent (21.13 cent per minute)

2 minute 30 sec call (25+3.5*3) = 35.5 cent (14 cent per minute)

100 minute 30 sec call (25 + 3.5*101) = 378.5 cent (3.7 cent per minute)

===============

That's how I read it anyway. The longer the call the more the cost approaches the limit of 3.5 cent per minute.

damn calculator, error fixed

learn to understand German small print.

Deutsch Telekom are well known for their hidden extras.

25 cent Zuschlag je Angefangener minute is

25 cent supplement per minute or part thereof.

I was crap in maths, but good in smallprint.

:blink:

it's not right, false - if it says "je angefangener Minute" then you pay that charge for each minute that you're on the call (whether the minute is completed or not).

so you've got your brackets in the wrong place.

e.g. 2 minute 30 sec call = (25+3.5)*2

well, I just had these awful visions of false nattering away for hours to his family back home, then having heart failure when his bill arrived :o

perhaps I'm wrong, but then there pricing structure is completly misguiding, and not like any I've ever seen. Maybe NoGo will help us out to clear this up.

Apart from the limitation of it being only a single country preference the charges are still double the cheapest call-by-call providers. I'm happy to dial an extra 5 digits if I halve my costs... (although I have a phone exchange that does that bit for me anyway...)

YL6

OK. Maisflocke was right in some respects, but, like me, he didn't read it properly either, like the bit where it explains where the extra costs come into play...

For Mobile numbers in the UK and "special" numbers (weird ones that cost DT a ton more to connect to, maybe like Pay-to-call numbers?? Am clueless here) Deutsche Telekom DO add this 23 ct per minute (RIPOFF!!!). But not (supposedly) to "normal" telephone UK / Ireland etc numbers.

I was assured by the helpful chappie at DT that "normal" landline destination numbers are not charged at more than the advertised 3.4 Ct. Will see it on my bill to believe it, however...

So. Bottom line:

- DON'T use it to call UK/Ireland/US MOBILE phones (can you always know what type of line you're calling? Luckily I do, but there will be some of you that don't.)

This is not a plug for DT - its a rip-off shop (I only work indirectly for DT), and I wouldn't use them if I didn't (almost) have to - but I get a clear line when I use DT to the UK, and I don't have to try 10x to get through - both used to fk me off bigtime.

Anyone else I'd recommend Skyper or whatever - supposed to have an even clearer line than DT! However you have to use your computer... which ain't as lazy as I'd like it. Bit geeky even, to save that 1ct... and I also can't be fkt to load an account with money before I can phone using it... whatamI? Bone idle!!

OK, I'll let you all know if this sh*t works. I'm just as mistrusting as the rest of you...

Well spotted NoGo. <_<

My DT smallprint experiences have reached new heights. There is smallprint for the smallprint, or rather a smallprint explanation on page 1 for the smallprint on each of the following pages. :blink:

Why they could not just write "Mobilfunkzuschlag" on the bottom of each page instead of "Zuschlag" beats me. :rolleyes:

Deutsche Telekom - always read the label... good and proper.

Actually phoning a mobile in the UK, with CoutrySelect for the UK activated, costs 28Ct or 31Ct, for each minute started, as was mentioned earlier, so it aint a complete disaster if you make a mistake and phone a mobile number...

- end of commercial -