The apostrophe abuse thread

981 posts in this topic

... because the are belonging to political correctness like totally lame dudes? What are are, and why are are plural? It's political correctness gone mad, I tell you!

If theres one thing I cant stand its a pedan't

I don´t.

Actually I do. Using apostrophes might deter RSS (Repetitive Stress Syndrome). Using the apostrophe entails one hit less on the keyboard. When you use the accent, you need to key in a space before you see it.

If in doubt, stick an apostrophe before every "s".

Hey people, I was just wondering how hot the weather get's in the summer over there?. Also how cold doe's it get, i heard it gets really cold there . Cheer's

how cold doe's it get

Oh deer, oh deer...

I bought a book on English grammar over the weekend. I shall be closing this thread in a few weeks.

Post #1

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread for Green Tea, Leeza and the other Apohstrophe nazis pedants to highlight examples and explain why they are wrong so as to educate the world to their correct usage

- Did you get a spellin' book too? :)

*edit: and before anyone mentions it, yes, I know I originally spelt the Concert Title wrong... It now has the apostrophe in the correct place "Summer's Evening"...

Pas, just be grateful that I only correct you one out of every 50 times.

PS: It is "high heels" not "high heals".

You're welcome!

Actually I do. Using apostrophes might deter RSS (Repetitive Stress Syndrome). Using the apostrophe entails one hit less on the keyboard. When you use the accent, you need to key in a space before you see it.

I hate to admit it, but my ex taught me to abuse the accent key, rather than use the apostrophe.

I´m not sure if Orla uses an English or German keyboard, but I use German, and have to hit the shift key in order to produce a "proper" apostrophe, whereas misusing the German, I just hit the key´and keep right on prattling...

(commonly known as laziness!)

I use a German keyboard. I type with 10 fingers so pressing the shift key is no bother. I hate using the accent key (for accents!!) - 'cause you hit it and nothing happens until your next hit.

R100, I really do hate your "apostrophes". :P

Sorry that you don´t like them Orla!

(I guess I´ll just have to live with it...)

I would now like to draw your attention to the subtitle of the Aussie town bans bottled water thread.

Can you imagine the German's following suit?

Well, I'm imagining something crossed between The Wrong Trousers and The Invisible Man, but belonging to some bloke from Leipzig, with slightly mismatched trousers and jacket, trailing him around town. Or have I somehow misunderstood?

another gem:

I too have a Stalker who reads my every posts on here and makes up fake names and send me dodgy email's ect

because some people like to hide behind anonymous name's and hurl abuse about due to there own social inadequacy's

And we have a winner.

I also intensely dislike "having to read" posts formulated like these:

another gem:

(Blue Cow) "I too have a Stalker who reads my every posts on here and makes up fake names and send me dodgy email's ect"

(Blue Cow) "because some people like to hide behind anonymous name's and hurl abuse about due to there own social inadequacy's"

And we have a winner.

However, to give Blue Cow her(?) due, she wrote elsewhere as follows:

... (and yes I know my spelling is bad but a least I give it a go)

Maybe we should put a little blame at Toytown's door, in that the spellchecker recognises (for example) "inadequacy" as correct and lets it go unmarked, recognises "inadequacys" as incorrect and underscores it accordingly, but fails to recognise "inadequacy's" as incorrect and leaves it unmarked.

Perhaps we should request Editor Bob to spend some of his spare kronor euro on improving the forum software (again) to give possibly dyslexic posters a chance.

The forum software doesn't have a spellchecker. Your browser might (mine does). But no matter what, artificial intelligence is still no replacement for natural stupidity.

Oops - you're right - it's my browser's fault. I take it all some of my post back. However, while your "artificial intelligence is still no replacement for natural stupidity" may well be true, this doesn't change my statement that a spell checker would give possibly dyslexic posters a chance. Not all bad spellers with a tendency to sprinkle apostrophes throughout their posts are stupid and, if the spellchecker in your browser and in other programs on your machine are enabled, this doesn't make you stupid either.