The apostrophe abuse thread

973 posts in this topic

Sorry, I always criticise others for not providing context and then fail to do so myself. Kay was close with spa; specifically, it's for a massage. You can either have this particular massage by yourself or have it for two people, in which case it becomes this "perfect relaxation". I agree that the sentence basically needs to be rewritten, but working with what I have I think an apostrophe is needed because it's possessive – the relaxation "belongs to" the couples, as it were.

now i'm starting to understand why my dad used to bitch about people not knowing english, as every day use of english has certainly changed since the 50's. I wish the dumbfuckery would stop, but I'm afraid the language is gonna take a deeper nose dive (or glass half full: a further "evolution") now as it is the world business language, spoken more as a second language than as a first.

but i still think there is no excuse for using the apostrophe for pluralizing. such people are to me, instant idiots.

now i'm starting to understand why my dad used to bitch about people not knowing english, as every day use of english has certainly changed since the 50's. I wish the dumbfuckery would stop, but I'm afraid the language is gonna take a deeper nose dive (or glass half full: a further "evolution") now as it is the world business language, spoken more as a second language than as a first.

but i still think there is no excuse for using the apostrophe for pluralizing. such people are to me, instant idiots.

Are you having us on? Is this a wind up? You are ranting at the misuse of apostrophes yet, you yourself, fail to start a sentence with a capital letter. Do you not know that the name of this "world business language" starts with a capital letter?

I am somewhat baffled (and amused) by your "accusations" and name calling.

PS, what I cannot understand is: When there is a typo/misspelling I get a squiggle underneath the word (if it makes no sense) Not capitalising "english" or "i" gets a squiggle. Why do more people not get this feature and use it?

Edit: Oh fook I missed the "50's" :lol: @ Guy.

Whilst I can only support Orla_inka's assertions, perhaps we need to remind people that this is an English Speaking ex-pat site, not American-English, or American or Canadian or (and the god of your choice forbid) Text/SMS Speaking site... That means incorrect use apostrophes, incorrect spelling (color etc), laziness (gonna), creating verbs from nouns (pluralizing) and bizarre use of 'z' are actually banned??? :ph34r:

Maybe we can write a text script that is executed on post submission that removes these (or corrects them) for people? :P

see, mj davey gets it.

being lazy is not the same as being ignorant. please feel free to tear a strip off me if i fuck up apostrophes (how would you shorten the 50's ? that's how i've seen it spelled my whole life...), or don't correctly write their, they're, or there, and so forth.

ask me to write a formal letter, and you will get your capitalizations. for now i'm gonna be a lazy internet forum guy, who knows the proper tone for the proper environment.

I don't believe that sloppy English is the proper tone for an Internet forum. The fact that much writing on such fora is of a poor standard doesn't mean we all have to sink to that level. A well-written post is quicker for other users to read and is more readily understandable, and what you write is likely to be better received by those people able to identify mistakes. No-one's perfect, but I personally don't really take seriously any user not capable of at least a reasonable standard of English. Saying "I could write properly if I wanted to" doesn't really cut the mustard for me.

For the record, both UK and US style guides advocate "1950s". Not '50s and not 50's.

see, mj davey gets it. ...being lazy is not the same as being ignorant. ...for now i'm gonna be a lazy internet forum guy, who knows the proper tone for the proper environment.

Well, if you think this thread is the "proper environment" to be in "lazy mode", in order to bitch like your "dad used to bitch about people not knowing english," Sounds a wee bit oxyMORONIC to me.

It was you who said: every day use of english has certainly changed since the 50's. I wish thedumbfuckery would stop

Then you say:

The name calling is the funniest of all - seeing as the name caller considers him/herself above it all .. s/he is in lazy mode :lol:

@HS7: Do not for one moment think 'I get it' means I support you. You clearly fail to understand sarcasm - which is a most singular requirement for this forum. Hence my point (laboured) about English-speaking...

I am right with STB & OI and maybe if you stopped thumbing your keyboard like a mobile phone SMS 'T9' thing and engage at least one of the few remaining greycells you may posess, you would understand it.

I hereby retract all statements that may or may not have offended the readers of this thread. I do understand the semantic difficulties that exist when posting to an internet forum, and falsely assumed that my short-sighted wankery would not be taken as it was. You may continue to lay a "smack down" if you see fit, and well, it would seem you all feel I deserve it. That is of course your perogative.

I would like to say it does however please me to know that at least two people on TT know how to correctly spell the word "moron".

As you were.

I can recommend the succinct The Great Apostrophe Survey to all those interested in this wonderful language of ours that seems to be constantly under threat:

This gem begins with...

We are all too used to seeing missing apostrophes, as in sentences like "Dont press that button, you moron, its linked to the detonator!", as well as extra apostrophes in phrases like "Who'se pantie's are those in your pocket?!"

and ends with...

The big outstanding question is where do all the missing apostrophes go? Many millions must be missed out of words every day, and we know they aren't going into non-apostrophed words in any large numbers, so somewhere they're piling up. Physicists thought they had their hands full explaining missing matter, but the problem of having mislaid 90% of the universe is clearly trivial in comparison to the one now faced by grammaticians.

(I wish the writer had gone for "grammarians" instead of "grammaticians")

It seems to happen much more often that people type an apostrophe where it doesn't belong, rather than omitting one that should be there. If you take the number (no doubt in the millions) of apostrophically-challenged internet users and multiply it by the average number of superfluous apostrophes each one of them churns out in a day, that adds up to a helluva lot of wasted energy. If there were some way to educate people about the devastating effects of apostrophe abuse, we could make a significant dent in global warming. Education is the key to saving the planet.

These two caught my eye as they sat side by side in the new posts list. The image could also go in some other threads but this one seemed most suitable. Both posters get an E for effort...

post-4088-1241424518_thumb.jpg

Is anyone bothered by the German apostrophe? For example: I don´t know what it is but even the correct use of the apostrophe with the wrong symbol seems odd. Maybe it's the spacing this strange apostrophe makes in the word. To me this is also an abuse of the apostrophe.

I dislike German keyboards with a passion and I either replace the keyboard with an English one or remap the keys. Anyone who develops code knows what I am talking about. The German keyboard makes a developer have to use the dreaded Alt-GR key just to make a backslash. Seems they screwed up the apostrophe too.

ROFL :lol: There is no such thing as the "German apostrophe". You have screwed up used the "accent" - which is ´ and `. To make the accent appear you have to make a space. The space is for the letter the accent should go above, for example "é" (I hate when my students do that.)

The apostrophe, on the other hand, is two keys below - on the # and ' key.

post-33471-1241427750.jpg

The English keyboard does not use the Alt-GR key?

IIRC, my last British laptop had Alt Gr, but at the time it was only used to type the Euro sign € (as it does on the German keyboards). I'm now used to the German layout. Had problems at first (2-3 months) with the swapped Z and Y, but actually now, it seems to have more useful characters available than a British keyboard. I can even gossip about the weather! 10°C! ^_^

ROFL There is no such thing as the "German apostrophe". You have screwed up used the "accent" - which is ´ and `. To make the accent appear you have to make a space. The space is for the letter the accent should go above, for example "é" (I hate when my students do that.)

The apostrophe, on the other hand, is two keys below - on the # and ' key.

post-33471-1241427750.jpg

The English keyboard does not use the Alt-GR key?

So I guess it is indeed an abuse of the apostrophe through misappropriation of an innocent symbol. But it wasn't me that screwed it up - it is the posters on this forum. I don't use a German keyboard (I refused even the company one and insisted on US English). I copied and pasted it from another post. I also noticed that accent symbol in place of an apostrophe on some signs written in English by the government. I can't remember exactly where I saw this but if I see it again I'll snap a photo.

Both posters get an E for effort...

post-4088-1241424518_thumb.jpg

The second one is correct.