The apostrophe abuse thread

973 posts in this topic

And what's up with this, I wonder?

English-speaker's?

It's a deliberate dig at this very thread, FT.

24.Feb.2009 - 08:46:17

Kay... The men's razor fraud exposed

Cheap shaving kit is good as the expensive stuff

As copied from the title edit page...

I thought it was "Mens" Plural and not "Men's" ??

oder?

Never for for one minute did I think the Grammer Nazi was wrong.. I just couldnt fathom it out...

I were totally flummoxed! :rolleyes:

Alright, so does "couples" in this sentence take an apostrophe?

"This perfect couples relaxation can also be enjoyed..."

I say yes (couples'). Google says no (only 1 out of 50-odd with an apostrophe). Any opinions?

I would use the apostrophe. Without it the sentence looks strange (to me at least) and the meaning is not immediately clear. Substitution argues in favour, too: e.g. "This perfect men's relaxation" makes sense only if you use the possessive. On the other hand, I think in both cases it would sound better if you turned it around - "This perfect relaxation for couples/men/ladies..." (if it fits in with the rest of the sentence, obviously).

OK, thanks for the reassurance. I'm not allowed to make any stylistic improvements unfortunately, but the apostrophe is going in.

There is an example of 'possibly right/wrong' at the restaurant at Munich's Goetheplatz housed within the Royal Palast Cinema, named "Movie's"... Now I don't know anyone called Movie, but I know what a movie is, but "movies" is plural so surely the plural possessive is movies'? Or am I just being pernickety? But even that does not make sense (now I am confussing myself...). Do multiple movies possess a single restaurant?

Alright, so does "couples" in this sentence take an apostrophe?

"This perfect couples relaxation can also be enjoyed..."

I say yes (couples'). Google says no (only 1 out of 50-odd with an apostrophe). Any opinions?

But is it a single couple's relaxation, or multiple couples' relaxation?

Hmmm... for marketing and advertising, I'd usually stick with saying "couples resort" without the apostrophe. It's meant like an adjective, describing the subject.

It is a couple's resort - a couple owns the resort

It is a couples resort - a resort for couples

I can see the same principle being used for "couple's relaxation", though it looks a bit funny to me either way. Too bad you can't edit and rewrite.

STB must be busy with his text so I'll try to answer although I'm only guessing: to me it sounds like a general description (a spa?) so a plural fits in nicely (as suggested above, "relaxation for couples" would be another - better? - way of saying it). If you used a singular the result would be confusing because the adjective "perfect" could be understood to refer to the couple ("This perfect couple's relaxation" = "Relaxation of/for this perfect couple").