The apostrophe abuse thread

973 posts in this topic

I advocate the abbreviated, old-fashioned llees' but wouldn't grumble if someone insisted on llees's. The multiple double letters lend the phrase a subtle charm.

I'm not so sure, but this isn't my native language and English has so many undercurrents, hidden meanings and text between the lines that it is very hard for a non-native speaker to guess intentions correctly.

It's far easier in a face-to-face chat because the facial expression gives you a clue. I try to compensate that with using tons of smilies in my posts.

You can tell from people's facial expressions whether they're using an apostrophe or not?

Wow.

I try to compensate that with using tons of smilies in my posts.

Possibly even more annoying than misused apostrophe's. :)

Leeza told me to give up and not use any as it's better that way.

Yep, that's my suggestion! I get waaaaaay more bothered about seeing apostrophes in the wrong place than I do if there is one missing.

to me, people with poor grammar and spelling lose a lot of intellectual credibility.

what a load of bollox. You tellin' me you don't know any clever people who have poor spelling/grammar? everyone's got different talents, some people are simply geniuses at one thing though they can't spell for shit.

edit: and before the sticklers jump down my throat, I know genii is the technically correct word for the plural of genius, but most say geniuses - and that's why I used that word instead

You tellin' me you don't know any clever people who have poor spelling/grammar?

There are no doubt exceptions, but in my experience the correlation is very strong.

This may be an example of differences in education and culture. One may compare Major and Bush too - by God that's a minefield.

Depostrophe - but risk, i'n't. Imagine, you c'd have an imaginary Elvish friend called De'Urth V'nool from Ke'aal, but YOU said D'Eurth Vnool, well, you'd sound dick'sh, embarr'ssment uncover'd. Shame.

The Telegraph isn't worth the paper it's printed on any more.

In any event, never take seriously an article that writes "loosing thirst". The Telegraph have been obliterating their editorial staff and it's starting to show. The student temps just can't write as well.