The apostrophe abuse thread

973 posts in this topic

I'm a recovering Apostrophe abuser. I apologise to those offended by my many years of abuse. I appreciate it's only a little punctuation mark and really can't defend itself.

Article from Wikipedia

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread for Green Tea, Leeza and the other Apohstrophe nazis pedants to highlight examples and explain why they are wrong so as to educate the world to their correct usage.

Example's please.

May I post a picture of my German co-worker who uses the Saxon genetive in German? Drives me up the wall's, she does.

how about this one?

hi im interestred

im a professional english trainer

please email glynford613@hotmail.com and ill send my cv

I was always annoyed with the Dutch habit of making plurals with apostrophes. Baby's means babies in Dutch. Okay. But annoying.

IMO, the worst is "who's", instead of whose. I see this mistake made often by teachers!

At a new job I once had, where you're much like a little slave with a computer terminal, one of my 5 "managers" sent an email around with

hey guy's,

... blah blah

and I just thought "aw, fuck." Now I gotta have this muppet as a boss, and pretend to be nice, knowing full well if you can't get your own native language correct, you're probably not the brightest bulb in the pack.

to me, people with poor grammar and spelling lose a lot of intellectual credibility.

Funnily enough I think people who get hung up about spelling and grammar are probably closed minded and need to follow rules all the time. Though maybe we're all just stupid?

people with poor grammar and spelling lose a lot of intellectual credibility

I'm with horseshoe7 on this one

It's a misspelt Saxon genitive, otherwise known as the English possessive.

I'm not sure that many of the abuses cited in that one site are actually of the same variety as possessives and such. Many of those have words that historically had different spellings. German has changed quite a bit in the past hundred or so years. For instance they've lost most of their 'th' spellings (their becoming tier) and many plurals have been reduced by removing the final 'e'.

So Nudel'n could be referencing a missing 'e' from nudelen.

to me, people with poor grammar and spelling lose a lot of intellectual credibility.

Please don't dis the dyslexics.

@ Kay - Thanks for the correction, that error was not intentional.

I can see being irritated at work on formal letters. But on an internet forum where everyone is relaxed and typing fast? I just don't see the problem. It just doesn't bother me. But the funny thing is when someone tries to be "anonymous" you always know who they are by the typical way they write. So it turns out that there really isn't any anonymity if you are already a member of the community due to little mistakes such as these. (Misuse of apostrophes , commas or etc...)

There's a big difference between a typo due to quick typing, and not knowing the difference between there, their, they're, for example.

or goddamit - how to spell MORON. B)

Please don't dis the dyslexics.

Only a very small number of people can claim dyslexia to be the cause of their poor grammar.

There's a big difference between a typo due to quick typing, and not knowing the difference between there, their, they're

Or you start a sentence with a capital?

Apropos apostrophes, how about adding one to this sentence...

Given Llees propensity for stabbing me I guess I shouldn't come?