Leaving a bike unlocked around town

42 posts in this topic

I lived for 3 years in Westkreuz and never locked my bike; it was an old but still good looking bike but I wouldn't care much if it got stolen. After about 2 years it finally vanished, so I could buy a new one :)

and about leaving your car unlocked, I also got a fine from the police. It was like this: I left my car over the night with the window partially open, door clearly unlocked and navigation device turned on. Police came at 2AM in the morning, found out where I live from the license plate, then ring my bell. I had to lock the car, then pay 15€ because they said my behavior would encourage thieves. I don't blame them though, learned my lesson

I had a locked bike (a nice mountain bike belonging to a friend) stolen from the S-Bahn near my house after I left it there overnight. The lock was a good one too. The S-Bahn is not in some little dark corner, the bike area is in a well-lit area directly next to the main road that goes through the village. It's not hopping on a Saturday night, but it for sure is not totally dead either.

The local cops said that ten bikes were reported stolen that night from the S-Bahn. Apparently, Eastern Europeans (she said Poles) come in a big van with heavy duty bolt cutters, single out the high end bikes, snip the locks, throw them in the van and are gone in mere minutes.

So my theory is the average Münchener won't take a bike laying around, but the bike gangs are the ones to watch out for. I never thought a bike would get stolen in my little affluent village. Now I have an ugly but functional beater that I doubt anyone would bother to steal.

That cop seems to know a lot of details for not having caught anyone. A van of Polish people did it, eh? Without seeing it happen or catching anyone. Impressive.

Umm, Have you ever thought that Perhaps because they (Or other police depts. in the Munich region) have caught them before and they know the MO

of the Polish/van people enough to come to a conclusion...

I had the valves stolen on two separate occasions in Munich.

Always May 1st.

For some reason every year there's the shaving foam smeared on doors, the odd broken bottle and people have the valves nicked.

My bike goes in the cellar the day before thesedays.

Bit bizarre for leafy Neuhausen.

It's pretty much the same deal in San Francisco... People with 'real' bikes (e.g. lycra wearers) never lock them. You go on your ride, you go home. You also own a rust bucket that you can lock up around town. Such is life!

I rode my road bike to work one day and left it in front of the building I worked in (a busy street in the middle of BMW#s buildings). I locked. I peeked out the window at 1 pm, bike's still there. Left work at 5 pm, bike was gone. They nicked it in broad daylight from a busy street. Whoever did it definitely had heavy duty cutters. I was happy and skipped down the street to the bus singing "I'm getting a new biiiike,I'm getting a new biiikke! Whoohoo"

However, now that I have said new bike, I always bring it into the office when I ride it.

I have what seems to be an abandoned, unlocked bike in front of my place. It's been there for a couple of months, maybe it's stolen.

This is of course, in the middle of our condo, which itself is located in a very quiet and peripheral area, though technically accessible to the public at large.

A fine? On what charge?

I honestly cannot remember the "exact" wording or anything, it was way back, when I was here first. I just remember him ranting about the fine - because the car had been left unlocked. He found it early in the morning, so for some reason they had been sniffing around late at night. It was in the outskirts of Karlsruhe, not the centre.

I had the valves stolen on two separate occasions in Munich. Particularly annoying as the things only cost a few cents but without them the bike is unridable.

Yes, that is what I had not remembered in my first post. It was not just letting air out of the tyres it was the taking of the valves .. arrgghhhhhhhhh. Now you bring back the pain ...

I was wandering aound near Central Park once and came across a really nice new-looking bike frame securely anchored to a street lamp post with an impressive lock & chain. No wheels, no saddle, no pedals, no handlebars, just the frame. They know how to do things in NY.

That is just so sad.

When living in Amsterdam I always used to leave my old shed of a Renault 30 unlocked so that would be car radio thieves wouldn't smash my side windows only to find I had nothing of worth within.

My bicycle has been stolen while parked at Feldmoching S-Bahn station during a weekend (I cycled to the station to get the S-bahn to the airport).

The bike was locked, and wasn't a fancy bike at all... I bought it used for 30€.

So these things can happen even in Munich if you are unlucky.

I guess Munich is safer than California, for bikes.

Lance Armstrong's time trial bike stolen at race.

A one-of-a-kind bicycle belonging to U.S. cycling legend Lance Armstrong was stolen from a team truck in California just hours after he rode it Saturday on the first day of a nine-day race.

That takes some balls. It's worth $10,000-plus!

A fine? On what charge?

Worth 3 points on the driving test if you don't know you have to lock your car, secure the windws, and lock the steering wheel too. Not a bad idea. Apparently in the Navy (here we go) people who left things lying around received equal punishment to those who stole things. (I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's going to start a fight...)

Armstrong ... hehehe ... takes some balls ... hehehehehehe

Dammit - I missed that one, but so did he.

Here is a picture (which he twittered) of Lance Armstrong's stolen $15,000 time trial bike. It's the only one like it in the world, so if any of you see it for sale on eBay, give Lance a ring. There's a reward. :) Stolen from Sacramento, at the Tour of California race.

post-33917-1234887944_thumb.jpg