Finding jobs with minimal German around Heilbronn

7 posts in this topic

I am working on my German, and plan to do the integration course once financially feasible. But being at home all the time is really starting to get to me. I have tried looking for work and only have found the freelance English positions.

Do you have any tips for jobs in the Heilronn area that would hire someone with minimal German. I would be happy with even a mini job, or just a few days a week. Just want to get back into the swing and make a few bucks for myself.

Any tips are appreciated.

I am willing to work in any field.

My work experience has been in retail management, sales, and marketing but not necessarily jobs easily completed with a limited German vocabulary.

Thanks a bunch

When I did the integration course, I met a lot of people who'd been working before with minimal German (and no English). There were two distinct fields for women. One was childcare. The other was commodity food chains: McD's, German bakery chains etc. Take a look around you perhaps - look who's working in these places (well maybe not in your area but certainly applies here, with 15% foreigners). For the blokes, it was odd job labouring, office moves and the like, cash in hand.

They almost always work through mates - it appears to be your social circle that finds these jobs and of course provides a buffer for the work (ie. you are with your mate / associate in the baker's store to bail you out if needed).

Also, bear in mind that the integration course is a big commitment. 4 hours a day plus travel plus homework. Every day for six months (with the odd week off). It's actually quite hard to balance any sort of regular job alongside that other than casual bakery store type stuff. I appreciate the point on money but, having done it, it's an investment. Once you have the b1 German, you have way more options, not just in work. The payback was immediate for the people on my course (and not just in earned income).

Finally, is a freelance English position *really* that bad (with reference to the alternatives I've given here). It's not like you have to do it forever, it gets you out, you meet loads of people, keeps your CV going etc - and you make loads of contacts too.

Yeah sadly I don't know anyone with any possible employment ties in the area.

I would really have no prob working in the food or childcare industry. I even tried to apply at mcdonalds and was told I needed fluent German. Or in regards to like bakeries that you ahve to speak german to complete a internship, even for jobs like the grocery store.

Thats why I was hoping the mini job route might be a bit simpler. Just someone who needs a little help.

Should I just call childcare places and ask if they need any extra hands, or is there any way to break into that circle?

Motto of a migrant - Do whatever it takes (presuming legal etc) :D . People can only say no. Another alternative is looking at the small ads in the local papers - in German but often quite simple. Another option could be to place a small ad yourself (with PO box number etc). What McD's say may indicate that it'll be hard to find different with the big offerers of these (ie. supermarkets, drugstores etc). One other option is any niche EL requirements. Round my way that's a the airport, call centres for hotels / hospitality etc (and EU bodies in the case of EU citizens).

The answer (which I suspect you know) is most likely to sort out the language. It's mainly speaking (and listening) that you need for much of the routine stuff. Do that and the jobs you see advertised in shop windows / cafes, in the small ads etc becomes much more real possibilities and you have more choice. You can walk down the streets and see the ads and know that's a fallback, which makes life a whole lot better. Even going to the course provides tons of contacts, builds up networks etc.

The other suggestion - which I have no idea if it's possible for your sit - is hook in to your previous profession. Join any professional bodies you can (here or in your home nation). Or hook up with a charity etc. I don't advise being joined at the hip to the "expat" community (as opposed to integrating) but maintaining links can provide local ops / info if your face is known. And so on.

Most of us have to put the individual blocks in place first - language, contacts, skills, etc. No short cuts, just a long, hard grind.

The bakeries bit sure ain't true btw. The central Americans on my course who worked in them certainly hadn't done German internships .

I understand that this post has been up for quite a few years. It might be too late to ask, but how you are doing now SJ1? Did you successfully get a job in the end? I'm living in Heilbronn as well now since September last year.  Hopefully, start taking my integration course with VHS in Heilbronn in couple of months.

I have been looking on the net for some english speaking jobs, but most of them require fluent Germany and not around Heilbronn area.

Looking forward to seeing the possibilities opening up for me in six months after finishing the integration course.   

The Irish Pub in Heilbronn are always looking for friendly, customer service orientated staff.

If you are right for the job then it is a perfect way to improve your German, earn some money and have fun.

Business should pick up at the start of Autumn so come by.

Hey guys,

I know this post is really old but for what it's worth, I came to Heilbronn with zero German and Phorms Education really helped me. I've been working for them since 2015 and we are always looking for new people to join our team, especially now that we are expanding :)  no german necessary… 
They also cover relocation costs/help with Visa applications & help finding a place to live. 

If this is something you'd be interested in then please contact me directly,
taylor.banting@phorms.de