French/Belgian supermarkets nearest to Frankfurt

17 posts in this topic

Where does the collective brain of TT think that the nearest decent-sized French or Belgian supermarket might be to FFM? I'm thinking Carrefour / Auchan / Leclerc / Delhaize - those sort of places.

Let the Googlemapping commence B)

K

if you know to google and googlemap it then why not do it yourself?

Or take a drive/train over to Liege or Strasbourg

Because (a) it's more fun this way, and (B) someone may have already done the calculations! "A problem shared is a problem halved" and all that.

K

So what's the consensus on why Belgian/French supermarkets are superior? Cleanliness?

I suppose the German supermarkets I saw weren't as pretty as the Dutch ones, but I was so interested in looking at the different sorts of foods that they had, that I wasn't put off. Of course, I wasn't looking for pork, or any sort of meat, so that I didn't notice what wasn't available at them.

All I know is that, somehow, in the States, no matter that we have gigantic supermarkets, there somehow is still not a lot of variety. Just different corporations trotting out their own version of an item.

I'd kill for British Heinz baked beans, which we used to have, until about ten years ago!

Those cubic 5 liter plastic wine canisters for a few bucks used to make a good argument for Carrefour. You could use them as good spare water canisters for your car when they were empty. Perfect for camping. Ah well.

Imho, it's variety, something that German supermarkets are exceedingly lacking. Pretty much the only discounter supermarkets with any variety left in Germany are Rewe Group, Edeka Group and some chains belonging to the Schwarz empire.

I'm totally with @Kato on this one - it's the variety (and in some cases, quality too) issue. Think things like Belgian beer, cheese, frozen foods, wet fish, fresh meat (that isn't pork), cat food. The wonderful Scheck-In Center has gone a long way to plugging this gap, but it's still a fair distance from ideal (Waitrose...<sigh>)

K

Ah. I went to Rewe. And to me, there was variety, as I don't see dumplings or marzipan at my home supermarkets. Everyone misses Belgian beer, worldwide, if that helps. Even the Dutch only get one or two of the Belgian beers, remarkably. Or maybe not, since they've got their own brands to promote.

Imho, it's variety, something that German supermarkets are exceedingly lacking. Pretty much the only discounter supermarkets with any variety left in Germany are Rewe Group, Edeka Group and some chains belonging to the Schwarz empire.

Well - those are not discounters. And that is precisely the reason why they offer (some) variety.

Als Diskonter bzw. Discounter (von engl. discount = Preisnachlass, Rabatt) bezeichnet man Unternehmen des Einzelhandels, die sich durch ein schmales Warensortiment, einfache Warenpräsentation, kleine Verkaufsflächen und durch diese Kosteneinsparungen ermöglichte geringe Preise auszeichnen.

BTW i would add Tengelmann supermarkets to that list.

What i found silly is that even as Scheckin-Center is part of the EDEKA group you can find some articles in smaller E-Centers (like the one in Griesheim) that are missing in the Scheckin-Center. And quite small REWEs have stuff you won't find in a toom.

Why?

And there appears to be caste system in the REWE society: The better REWEs have a salad bar where you can packetise the salad from components of your choice, the Pariah REWEs only offer pre-packaged salads.

The big toom centers are in the Pariah caste in that regard.

It's probably in the vicinity of Hagenau: There's a good Cora just north of Strasbourg, or if you want a good day out head for the Auchan at Luxembourg-Kirchberg, At least they know what fresh vegetables are!

The Auchan is in a decent mall with good restaurants/bistros and the superb multi-cinema complex Utopolis (see www.utopolis.lu) is right next door. There's also a Park 'n Ride to cover the couple of kms into Lux-Ville.

Auchan all the way. You can turn off the motorway and virtually drive into the car park. 2hrs free parking. The trip from FFM takes 3 hours by car so you need to make it part of a day out.

On the south side of Lux city at Howald there is a big Cactus and if you don't turn off at Lux city but drive 12 mins directiion Esch on the N4 there is a very nice Cora at Foetz (stop sniggering at the back)! If you drive across the boarder into BE, then there is another big complex at Atus on the Route de Europe.

Necro bump but hey...

Super U in Seltz,France just across the border from Rastatt

Good French supermarket(big chain) and its only about 1:45 minutes from FFM