Murder of student Meredith Kercher in Italy

221 posts in this topic

Good article explaining the points the jury must discover.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/0...er-murder-trial

Nara Capezzali had gone to bed early that night, at 9.30. After a while - she has no idea how long - she got up to go to the lavatory. It was then she heard a "bloodcurdling scream". Capezzali lives about 70 metres from the flat at Via della Pergola 7 that Meredith Kercher, a British student at Perugia university, shared with Amanda Knox and two others. It seems highly likely that what the woman heard was Kercher's dying scream, for the next day - 2 November 2007 - the Leeds University student was found dead in her bedroom, almost naked and with her throat slashed.

The discovery marked the start of what soon developed into an outlandishly lurid mystery.

At first I was ready to convict but after reading about it, I'm more confused as ever. The Italian media isn't reporting honestly and the district attourney is grandstanding. I hope that in the end justice is truly served.

Taking bets? Probably walks. As does her Italian former boyfriend. She mentions that being convicted makes her fearful of "losing herself." I wonder if she's probably a really dissociated person, having said that, but then, they never released any psychological profiles of her, did they? Media only ever gave accounts of the prosecution's ideas of what happened, based on little evidence--text messages between her and Kercher and what Kercher told her parents about the fights going on between her and her roommate. Otherwise the media just posted lots of pictures of her. No clue if she's guilty or not, but I think she and her boyfriend were there (cellphones off at the same time, switched on early, but they claim to have got up earlier.) However, they've got Guede, so my guess is that the Italian boy walks, and therefore Knox. Not enough evidence.

On a serious note, the events of that evening sound so confused and unclear that I think it's going to be difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that she was the killer. Especially as they've already convicted someone else of it. On the other hand, this is Italy, so she's doomed.

I haven't followed it at all, mostly because I don't understand how this trial is dragging on when some dude's already serving time for the murder. Shouldn't this whole thing have been wrapped up at the same time? Can anyone shed light on that for me?

All three of them were charged, he opted for a fast-track trial.

Edit: They are intertwined, of course. I don't know all the ins and outs, but IIRC he was convicted for conspiracy to murder.

But I would think the charges, the motive(s), act(s), etc., intertwine. Makes no sense to me.

Edit: Okay, then the next question is, since he's already been convicted, they obviously had a lot of evidence. So did they rule that he acted alone or with the aid of these two that are now on trial? The verdict should already be known I would think.

She deserves a sentence. It is hardly fair that the black guy is already serving whilst the American girl with rich parents (compared to the black guy) is fighting to get away with murder.

If she walks, what does she do with our life after? I'm curious if Playboy will pick her up for a photo shoot. I'd buy that issue!