Killing and rape of white girls in India

145 posts in this topic

...Is Sweden incredibly dangerous for women, 33x more than India? ...

I was shocked with that and the reason is:

The Swedish police record each instance of sexual violence in every case separately, leading to an inflated number of cases compared to other countries. Sweden also has a comparatively wide definition of rape. This means that more sexual crimes are registered as rape than in most other countries. For example, in 2005 Sweden reformed its sex crime legislation and made the legal definition of rape much wider, which led to a marked increase in reports.

I agree that it is a rare occasion that numbers and statistic cannot be trusted. I wanted to point out that following certain logical rules, India is not more dangerous than most places.

ibid,

essentially 'eve teasing' would get you tossed in the slammer in Sweden as rape. Good for the Swedes.

(Statistically or not, if someone from Sweden is 1/33 as careful as they are in Stockholm as when in Kolkatta, they are going to lose everything.)

And more bad news, one case of a foreign women being attacked and raped involved the perpetrators tying up her husband nearby. He witnessed the crime (Swiss couple camping). Awful. But still rare. Nightmare Clockwork Orange scenario.

That said, I still think India is worth visiting.

You're either being totally disingenous or you (to put it politely) haven't thought your argument through very carefully. The reason those western countries have apparently higher rates of rape is because, a: rape is recognised as a serious crime in those countries, regardless of your social standing, and b: there is the infrastructure in place to prosecute, with due process, the perpetrators.

Yes I would erase that comment now if I could as you can see from the comments I made after that. :)

As an Indian woman, I think the threat of being molested is much higher in India. Even if it isn't rape, people ogling, groping etc. is unfortunately very common. I have traveled alone plenty of times in Europe and felt absolutely safe. But I would never travel alone in India. Traveling in a group is fine, especially more so if there is a male presence in the group :).

Mumbai to Goa train should be fine, although not as comfortable as the German trains. But I would recommend traveling first class to someone who isn't used to how things work (or don't) in India. ;)

Have a nice trip!