Killing and rape of white girls in India

145 posts in this topic

Weird, doesn't look 15 to me at all in that pic. And, pointing out the last paragraph ("she was staying with her 25yo boyfriend") i'm relatively sure that should be another rape charge (statuatory - age of consent is 16 in India, except in Manipur).

Yes, sorry about that, nothing better came into my head, which is clogged with other work-related shit at the moment. I don't see the relevance of Eve Teasing to the OP's question.

Eve Teasing is usually more of a low-level annoyance - groping on crowded buses being a popular manifestation - and while unpleasant and illegal isn't comparable to rape or murder. India is a very different place to anywhere in the West and the police just won't take that sort of offence seriously unless you're a diplomat's daughter, in which case they'll just go find some peasant they don't like somewhere and blame him.

Fact is most Indians are just impossibly generous and hospitable, then considering the massive disparity in wealth between us and them it's almost impossible to understand. Makes our society look very selfish and self centred in comparison.

I dunno, you teach people cricket, and they show no gratitude atall.

The worst part is that, after all the teaching, you keep losing to almost all the cricket teams in the world. Shame! Apart from that, you guys show no gratitude for us teaching you chess/hockey, et al. :P

Smilin'_Eyes :I think what David I is referring to is what is known as 'eve teasing' in India and Pakistan. A quick google will yield the following info for anyone interested:

You seem to be too paranoid of travelling to Asian countries. Much of the problems which are discussed in this thread, did exist before, to some extent. Now, its much better as its gradually improving. Eve teasing is an offence now, in most of the places, although its hard to figure out who did what. Just because I'm posting here, I dont wanna claim that India is perfectly safe and all the people are great, but its an amazing country - even for Indians who have travelled across the country and seen things. Sometimes, I (or educated Indians) am ashamed of all these stray incidents and can't do much overnight...and a lot of Indians feel the same. Its hard because, its a very diverse country with millions of people and hard to control things.

For example:

1) If you go to the North-East India - people resemble more like Chinese/Fillipinos.

2) If you go to North-West (like Rajasthan) - not much educated people, but an interesting place and touristic.

3) If you go to Mumbai - its the World's biggest city (by population and size) and westerners might feel it as a choatic place and prefer small places.

4) Delhi - Its the same as mumbai, but you got a couple of places to see in/around it.

5) Kashmir - Its not so safe at the moment (specially along the India-Pak border), but its like Switzerland or any other cold, mountainous, beautiful places. Although it aint safe along the India-Pak border, people can check other places in North-East Kashmir, like Ladakh, Leh, etc.

6) West Bengal - Calucutta, Darjeeling, etc

7) Madhya Pradesh - There are still some remote, unaffected tribal areas here, where there are bandits that get into the trains and loot.

8) South India - South India is more developed than North India and the people are more educated. Cities like Bangalore/Hydearabad/Chennai (Madras), Trivandrum/Kochin, et al. In the last 20 years, Bangalore and Hyderabad have developed to a great extent. All the major software/Hadrware firms like Texas Instruments, Intel, Google, Microsoft, GE (General Electric), Goldmann Stachs, Morgan Stanley, CitiBank, SAP Labs, Deutsche Bank, Infineon, Siemens and many others have their presence there. Although all these companies have their presence, the infrastructure aint so great, but improving.

9) Tamil Nadu has a lot of interesting temples, great in architechture/sculpture, but a hot and humid place - apart from some hill stations (Ooty and Kodaikanal).

10) Kerala is a small, but interesting and touristic state - with lots of things to see and do.

11) Karnataka is one of the prosperous states in India, for which the capital is Bangalore. Its green, has great weather, many things to do and places to see. There are lot of interesting places in Karnataka like Hampi, Jog Falls, Coorg, etc.

Apart from what I listed above, there are many other things. India is similar to Europe, in that, the Indian states can be compared to the countries in Europe - by size, as well as by people and cultures. Do some research when you travel to a totally different place, instead of being paranoid. If you dont wanna do that, just look for other places of your interest. I was in a similar position, when I wanted to visit some places in Middle-East/Africa, but I just did that and enjoyed it.

Oh, another great tip - before you go to India, grow a moustache, I think it is law that everyone should proudly sport a moustache. Not sure if this applies to the women, but alot of them have sideburns, so there is certainly some sort of facial hair theme going on.

Fact is most Indians are just impossibly generous and hospitable, then considering the massive disparity in wealth between us and them it's almost impossible to understand. Makes our society look very selfish and self centred in comparison.

been said here by a few peeps who've been there so must b some truth in it. That's a good reason to go.

you seem to be too paranoid of travelling to Asian countries.

Whoa! How did you manage to make the astronomic leap to that conclusion!? I've a huge interest in travelling to Asia and am saving up for it at the mo. For starters, I never mentioned Asia, just India. Secondly, I don't think I'm paranoid - I'm just trying to do what you suggested - i.e. - do some research. I generally like to be safe wherever I am and think that knowing more about the situ will better enable me to achieve that. Hence, if/when I go to India, I'll try to be more aware than I ussually would be, not go out much on my own and avoid the streets at night-time.

I don't see the relevance of Eve Teasing to the OP's question.

The OP said that he'd heard that western women face a risk of rape or murder if they travel to India. That seemed to me to be related to harassment and sexual assault (or as you call it "low-level annoyance") as it can escalate into something more serious, plus I thought that what he heard may have been an exaggerated rumour, which stemmed from somebody's limited knowledge of eve-teasing

BE - yea that happened in Goa but it was drug related and who leaves their 15 year old alone in Goa that’s what her mother did, so the mother is held accountable for not protecting her child, there are evil men everywhere in India, Europe, the Middle East everywhere...so you cannot generalise. I have part of my family in India and spent a part of my life there, so I know what I’m talking about.

I have had nasty men try grope me and have even hit a guy once because he thought he could rub my ass on his way to the train..yes I have heard of rape but its towards any women if she is stupid enough to walk in some shady crime area or befriend strangers, all they want is to rob you usually...I was in Mumbai in June of last year and crime over a billion people is probably lower than the average US or other countries...I don’t have stats but you get the idea.

Use common sense, move around in groups, don’t wear jewellery or carry large amounts of money, dont drink till you are shitfaced or use drugs if you dont have someone around you who you can trust...Come on that’s a given even here in Germany.

Oh, another great tip - before you go to India, grow a moustache.

Oh, you got a lot of grey cells in your 'kopf', dude. This is how 'don' looked like, when he was in India:

post-18121-1233835329.jpg

- i.e. - do some research google.

This thread requires a picture.

post-6734-1233835467_thumb.jpg

EDIT - Well.. a second picture.

Smilin' Eyes, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. You just can't compare rape and murder to some perv having a shafty grope on a crowded bus, and you must also appreciate how crowded Indian buses can get. It doesn't make sexual assault, that your sheltered and cosy world view gives you as a definition, any less reprehensible but puts it in a different category from rape and murder.

You have to put your experiences in India into the context of the country, there's no point going there if you expect a well orgainised, efficient, and motivated Polizei to take your minor (by their standards) complaints seriously, or a bus to turn up on time, and have glass in the windows and suspension. India is generally just not like that. If you want to know about the TT of India view of the world then it's on IndaMike. If you go to India be sure to tell them you're coming and for the duration of your trip they'll behave as you expect them to :rolleyes:

shafty grope on a crowded bus

Note hte use of "on" rather than "inside" the bus. The locals prefer to simply clamber onto the outside of motorised transport rather than go inside and use the seats.

This "eve teasing" goes on all over the world. Haven't any of you single females visited any country south of the USA? grope galore. Knowing how to fight helps heaps. Lift weights before your trip.

@HellesAngels,

straw men again. I don't expect them to behave like the Irish/German etc - I just expect not be intimidated, groped etc. on account of being a woman.

I didn't say that rape and murder are equivalent to assault (let me spell it out - I agree with you that rape and murder are worse) but they are related.

If a society views groping/assault etc. as fairly acceptable, I would generally expect that that society would not hold the same view that I would of rape etc.

your sheltered and cosy world view

Is this a standard retort for TT members? It often features in threads, generally (as in this case) without the person having any knowledge or understanding of the other's world-view, life experience, personality...

If a society views groping/assault etc. as fairly acceptable, I would generally expect that that society would not hold the same view that I would of rape etc.

You should try a Tokyo commuter train sometime.

This "eve teasing" goes on all over the world. .. Knowing how to fight helps heaps

Remind me to craftily fondle your arse if we ever meet. I like 'em with a bit of fight...

My own impression of you is enough for me, you can be upset if I'm wrong if you like, but you don't seem to have any clue what you're talking about.

Indian society does not view groping as acceptable, most Indians think the same way you and I do and usually have a higher and stricter moral code than Westerners, but the way the country works provides ample opportunity for groping for those who are so inclined. If you go there then you must be prepared for it to happen, and probably be so tightly packed into the bus that you just can't get away or even move your arms to stop it. That's a possibility in India. Most tourists view that as an acceptable risk to go see a country so full of wonderful things that the risk is worth it.

You're getting tedious now, so please try to think about a world that you haven't experienced yet with a bit more of an open mind. (And no, that doesn't mean that I expect you to enjoy being groped).

Remind me to craftily fondle your arse if we ever meet. I like 'em with a bit of fight...

heh heh... Last time that happened in a club (it was my boob), I knocked the guy out cold. My European companions were stunned. "It's just a boob!". Yeah, well, it's MY boob, and this wasn't Europe.

post-33917-1233837023.jpg

have even hit a guy once because he thought he could rub my ass on his way to the train..

Did a genie pop out and offer him 3 wishes???