Choosing between Bonn and Düsseldorf

21 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've just been offered 2 FANTASTIC new jobs, so either way I'm moving to Germany!! Now the tough choice... which to choose. My choice is between Bonn and Dusseldorf. The decision is going to come down to location and where I'm going to be happier living. Can anyone offer me some perspective about the differences between living in Bonn or living in Duseldorf? What are the benefits of each? Drawbacks? Which would you choose? Why?

Thanks for the insight! It's difficult to make a decision without visiting either place, so I'd appreciate some advise from someone who has a bit of perspective.

H.

You know every german I know has not a bad thing to say about Bonn aber they also say it is a boring city. Just my input...

Bonn is turning back into a bit of a smaller provincial town these days.

Relaxed and friendly perhas compared to a bigger city like DUS.

I've a mate living there and he loves it.

When you want the big city and all the naughtiness, Kölle is but a short trip away on the tram.

Bonn is a tad dull, but it's a nice enough little city. Düsseldorf is just this big, overpriced, sprawling mass of ugliness and pretension, much like LA just without the palm trees. If you have to choose between BN and D, go for Bonn, which at least has a convenient S-Bahn connection to Cologne for weekend merriment.

Both Bonn and Düsseldorf are 30 mins away by train from Cologne... so that shouldn't be a choice factor.

I used to think Bonn is nicer, but Düsseldorf has started growing on me and I think it might even come to par with Bonn.

Bonn is smaller and "cuter" (which is how a lot of Germans I've met like to refer to it), it has a huge park and a concentrated city center. It's also a great place to go around with a bike.

Düsseldorf is bigger, more international, has lots of exhibitions and big companies and a lot of different "scenes" (art, music, indie, salsa... and moany other scenes).

To sum it up, I think if you live in düsseldorf, you won't need to visit Cologne so much, maybe 2-3 times a year.

But if you live in Bonn you will end up going to Cologne for some nightlife around 2-3 times a week, again depending on the person and what kind of nightlife/scenes they are into.

I would mainly base my decision on the position. So choose the better position for you at this point in your life.

Cheers

Bonn is a tad dull, but it's a nice enough little city. Düsseldorf is just this big, overpriced, sprawling mass of ugliness and pretension, much like LA just without the palm trees. If you have to choose between BN and D, go for Bonn, which at least has a convenient S-Bahn connection to Cologne for weekend merriment.

Well, actually, there are palm trees in Düss! I see them every day on way to and from the Banhoff! As for Düss being like LA... huh? I've lived in LA for years and there is nothing similar except the 12 palm trees I see every day! And not all of LA is ugly, and not all of Düss is ugly. I find Köln, where I live, a bit uglier, and friendlier as well as more fun!

There is always that option too, but you will have a door-to-door hour commute each way if you do (depending on which train you take). I don't know how old you are and whether or not you are into more nightlife, but Köln is a pretty easy place to meet friends and play. Bonn is a little boring for first coming to a new country to work and live. I think either Düss or Köln would be a better place to live at first. If and when you become two, then think about a quieter place. But I really like both Düss and Köln. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

They are quite different cities so without knowing anything about you it is hard to offer advice. Where do you live at the moment? What is it like? What do you like/dislike about it? I have lived in Bonn for nearly 14 years without getting bored, it is more picturesque than Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf is a larger, busier city. Both are conveniently near to Cologne.

In a nutshell...

Düsseldorf is quite a cool place - especially around the Altstadt (Old Town). Well worth a visit and although I've never lived there, I know people who have and the loved it.

It's got a reputation for being a little stuck up... not trying to upset anyone in Düsseldorf, just telling it like it is... and if you visit Königsallee you'll see why ( Königsallee (Wikipedia) )

Bonn is the other side of Cologne from Düsseldorf and is also a lovely, lovely city. Especially at Christmas time. I like Bonn and don't think it's boring. The thing in Bonn's favour is that it is so very close to Cologne (where I live, but I'm honestly not being biased here). The nice thing about Bonn is that you have a big city on your doorstep but can escape it with ease back in Bonn.

I'm a big fan of Düsseldorf but for me, Bonn would just tip it as you get the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

If you work in Bonn you also have the option of living in Cologne, lots do this.

What do you want to get out of a city? I am biased, I live in Düsseldorf and love it, but one of the big advantages as I see it is that it is in the middle of everything, or so it feels. The Düsseldorf airport is fairly sized with plenty of international flights, as well as domestic, and it is very close to the city centre - about 10 minutes if you take the regional train... Also, there are intercity trains to all the major cities in the nearby. Amsterdam etc is close as well.

Düsseldorf is international, with a big expat community - plus a lot of people from all over the world who have lived here for a long time, but yet it is easy to walk around here. It is more expensive but like all other cities it also depends on where you go. Sure, Altstadt is nice but a bit touristy, there are other parts of the city where you pay less but get better food etc.

My husband is starting a job soon in Wuppertal and we are trying to decide where to live. My question is should we live in Dusseldorf and Koln? I would appreciate various opinions on the matter. We have lived all over the US and are pretty open minded people. Dusseldorf looks a bit closer and has a large expat community which would be nice. Koln seems more charming and we want to really experience Germany and learn German. Is the cost of living about the same? We have children in their early twenties that will be visiting us as much as they can from the states. They are either in school or working… Thanks….

I've not heard Koln described as charming before, it does have it's positives but it's appearance is definitely not one of them.

Nowhere near as ugly as Wuppertal but aside from a few green spaces and the Dom, it's pretty grim on the photogenic front unless you head into the surrounding countryside.

Duesseldorf has the better beer. Also, Die Toten Hosen are from there, so...that'd be my vote. My reasoning may be a little questionable, of course.

I would choose Düsseldorf personally, but Köln is nice also.

I personally like and live in the "Unterrath" area. Close to freeways, easy access into downtown, close to the airport and public transportation, but free from the hussel and bussel of downtown. I have lived here for 4 months now and love it!

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/findNew.national.searchType/similaritySearchRegionListDialog.go;jsessionid=E79473DFECE99B535D209B65A79864BB.worker1?iac=0&event:doSelectIntervalSearch=go&style=is24&is24EC=IS24&regionControl=1276010012015

If you have any questions, let me know.

I live in Wuppertal and Work in Cologne. Dont rule living in Wuppertal out, there are some very nice areas. However if it was between Cologne and Duss i would go for Duss myself, its closer and seems to have a bit more about it.

I live and work in wuppertal. I would definitely go with Düsseldorf, as the guy above me mentioned it is closer, and as for transportation you could easily get to wuppertal by train (which you have to pay only VRR taarif B compared to cologne where you are crossing two regions) or by car which is always jammed in cologne.(in the morning most jams are from wuppertal to Düsseldorf and not the other way around, other than the always existing construction before the katernberg exit which is 2 kilometers and takes around 5 minutes every morning).

Another thing to mention is how old are you? this is my own opinion only, but i find cologne much more fitting to young people while Düsseldorf i find more suit to old people or families.

Another thing to mention is how old are you? this is my own opinion only, but i find cologne much more fitting to young people while Düsseldorf i find more suit to old people or families.

I would very much agree with that. My husband and I were talking to my parents who were just here from the states, and they thought this would be a place where they would live, more than where we would and I am assuming you are their age with you saying you have children in their 20s.

Like I said before, any questions, let me know.

I have lived in Düsseldorf for many years but for the past 4 years I've been living in Cologne. Cologne is much bigger. It sure has some very nice restaurants, museums and such but I would recommend Düsseldorf because its downtown area and promenade by the river is much nicer. Also I personally find shopping in Düsseldorf better and less stressful. Rent is much more expensive in Cologne and so is public transportation. By train or car it's an extra 40 minutes more than Düsseldorf. Hope that helps. :)

Wuppertal isn't a bad area. I used to have a boyfriend there and the nice thing about it is the surrounding area. Nice little villages, rivers, lakes and.. mountains and hills. D'dorf if flat.

It's a bit of an ugly town, Wuppertal, but it's comfortable and the shops ain't bad. There are some nice places and I'm sure you could find a nice apartment. The river Wupper runs through the place and there is a groovy little monorail that goes along the river.

D'dorf is flat and open. The area along the Rhine is very nice. The airport is 12 minutes by train from the main station - the closest that any international airport is to the centre of its town.

D'dorf has lots of wonderful food - international cuisine from all around the world.

Cologne is big. The bit along the Rhine is no so good and is regularly flooded. The shopping street (Hohestr.) is like a narrow passageway and you feel like you're on a conveyor belt. You have to go with the flow. And if you want to cross the street to get to a shop on the other side (Germans tend to walk on the right of the pavements/sidewalks), then you almost have to walk to the end of the street and turn round. It's not so great.

Cologne does have a good zoo. Wuppertal has a zoo, too, but I've never been there.

I'd go for either D'dorf or.. if you like countryside more and want to do things like mountain-biking, canoeing, cycling, walking, Wuppertal is the better bet.