Lasagne recipes

54 posts in this topic

Lasagna scares me, I have never tried it. I generally avoid things that cost more to make then buy pre-made. I get a good sized one for 2.79.

OMG, bought lasagne has to be the worst thing on this earth. It really doesn't take that much to make and the difference is unbelievable.

I like it, but then again I miss frozen mystery meat, so... :ph34r:

I try to make it a bit more healthy to lessen the guilt so I grab an eggplant (aubergine for those not from Oz:) and cut it really, really thinly and layer it under the tomato sauce layer so that it soaks in and cooks it nicely. Really lovely flavour addition if you like eggplant.

Lasagne, in my opinion always tastes better reheated the next day for some reason. If I have time I make the sauce the day before and for richness add shin of beef and let it cook for ages before assembling the lasagne. I have also substituted a couple of tubs of Creme Fraiche for bechamel, that tastes good too.

I would like to share my lasagna recipe if it is okay. My mother law taught me how to make it and I added my own twist to it.

Ingredients:

mushroom

orange and red bell peppers

onion

1 container sahne (liquid whip cream) (I think they only sell them in the small containers..I could be wrong)

water

cheese

lasagna noodles sheets

lean mince meat/ground beef/turkey beef

lasagna season pack (Magee or Knor)

I place half a pound of lean mince meat in a frying pan that is high enough to hold everything. I added a little water. The fat that is in the meat will produce enough oil to help cook it. I break it with my spatula into little peaces and continue flipping it. I let it sit on the stove meanwhile I cut up one yellow and orange bell pepper, and 1 big onion. I open two cans of mushrooms and place them in the pot. I continue mixing everything until I see the chop up onions are transparent looking. 

Next I grab a container of sahne and pour it into the frying pan. I add the pack of lasagna season and do the same. Now I mix them all together and let it sit stimmering on medium heat for 5 minutes as I turn on my oven to 200.

I grab out my lasagna bakeware, cheese out the fridge (you can use any form of cheese you like..I like to use the one that is schredded), and take my noodles sheets out the box. You be amaze that a small box of noodle sheets can be use to make 3 good size lasagnas.

Okay so the pot of meat sauce is ready. I grab a big plastic spoon and make my first layer of the meat sauce. Above the meat sauce the noodle sheets. Next the meat sauce and then the noodle sheets. Last row is meat sauce on top shredded cheese. Place it in the oven for 30 minutes. 

Dinner is serve

There are different variation to this recipe. I tried one that had carrot and corn to it with the same ingredients above. I also tried a spinach lasagna with every thing I mention above except for no meat and no lasagna season pack.

I will try to show you pictures of how it look in the pot when cooking and the end result. I made this last week and shared with our neighbors. 

post-81733-12743064839628_thumb.jpg

The bigger one I made for our neighbors and the smaller one my husband and I split. Just eating half of it we were stuff. You might also notice I ran out of shredded cheese by the time I got to the big one so I had to use the flat cheese to the remaining area of the lasagna. 

post-81733-12743065510548_thumb.jpg

Also, do as your recipe books say - warm the milk as you make the roux, and add it a little bit at a time at first to get it all properly incorporated. EVeryone, me included, is lazy and just wants to chuck all the milk in at once, or cannot be arsed to warm the milk - but it is false economics for the lazy man, because you'll spend 4 times as long working the whisk to get the mups out, until your arm feels like you have just watched 5 hours of Gabrielle Anwar videos...

And, if you do give into temptation, get a magic little helper to make things good again ...

Lasagne is like meatloaf and chili. One person's treasured recipe is another's nightmare meal.

Add some cinnamon,allspice and cloves to the meat/tomato sauce, replace the beef with lamb, cook down so that it is more reduced than a ragu, and replace the lasagna sheets with slices of fried aubergine.

Here's a Mexican lasagne -veggie, but you could do it with meat.

Cook up a mix of onions, tomatoes, sweetcorn, beans, chili, bell pepper, whaetever you fele like really. Season to taste. I like chucking some cumin and chili spice in there. It shoulnd't be too liquid by the end, so it's best not to sue tinned tomatoes unless they are good quality (i.e. thick juice and not runny)

Lay 2 or 3 of soft tortillas in a round dish. Add half the chili mix. Cover with some cottage cheese. Add 2 or 3 more tortillas, the rest of the mix, the rest of the cottage cheese and then sprinkle with grated cheese on top.

Now you can either heat through in the microwave for 10 minutes or heat through in the oven. The oven gives a nice grilled-cheese topping, but you could always grill the top after microwaving. This just softens up the tortillas. It's great hot or cold and it's pretty healthy too.

A mexican, vegetarian, microwaved lasagna. Wow. Can't wait to try it myself. What part of Mexico is the recipe from? Does the wattage of the microwave make any difference to cooking times? Could you chuck a load of grated cheddar cheese in that, or is it frowned upon to use an english cheese in a mexican vegetarian microwaved lasagna?

It reminds me of one of those word transition puzzles - you know, the ones where you change one letter at a time. To wit, I set a challenge for TT: shortest number of "moves" from Lasagne to Burrito wins a packet of Knorr Lasagne Mix (or Maggi if you prefer).

Go!

I think the original came from this book "Moosewood Restaurant: Low Fat Favourites" so you can blame upstate New York for this one. Although Mexican Lasagne is no weirder a fusion than Chicago Pizza or American Chop Suey and is probably quicker to type than Multi-Layered Chili-Tortilla Casserole with Cottage Cheese ;-)

But even microwaved, it does taste really good - yep, even without the meat.

here are some real off the wall Lasagne recipes...

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/national-lasagna-day-chocolate-lasagna-taco-lasagna-pancake-lasagna-recipes

and this one I´m gonna have to try

http://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nation/philly-cheesesteak-lasagna-thrillist-recipes