A rant about Germans pointing out rules you break

320 posts in this topic

Just imagine, you are a citizen of the nation of the Free and the Good, yet your government tells you that you can´t even visit Cuba. You can´t even have some booze wherever you like, let alone smoke some innocent weed. Basically you can´t even sell some wine across a state border. Accept it, you can´t just do whatever you like wherever you may live.

Accept it, you can´t just do whatever you like wherever you may live.

After 12 years I still find this difficult to accept. I'm one of the expats who frequently get the head shake of disdain for not ahering to the ascribed societal rules. There's a german police in every citizen and I even see this trait developing very early in the German children.

Lassies in Newcastle are reknown for not wearing coats, actually for wearing very very little, even in the deepest and harshest of a Northsea winter.

Oh, I see. :lol:

continue...

I am still trying to work out of the OP was being serious or if just posting for a Friday laugh.

The OP breaks some laws/rules and then complains that he has been told off. Well, that's just terrible!

Not sure where the OP is from but they are listed as English - if so, perhaps the reason all those fuckers back in the UK do what they do with out fear is because no one has said anything to them about what they are doing for 20 years or so.

If people had been stepping in and saying stuff maybe the UK wouldn't be the place it is today.

It has to be a laugh at post - no one could move to another country, break some laws/rules and then complain about it...

It's like going to your mates house, shitting in his bath, pissing on his bed and then complaining when he starts to say something about it..

@Deccie - sometimes I really miss the northeast of England...

Umm, considering I studied Latin throughout high school and into college, no, they will not tell you it's not practical. Actually, the teachers were excited about us (class of 10 or so) and said we should become linguists. Latin is a wonderful language to learn to read and write to help you learn other languages.

And in high school (not everywhere but I still haven't met the opposite) all the kids want to go to college to study something. No one is separated early and told they are stupid. So many people do wonderful and impressive things, even when not expected to be able to. Here you can't just walk off and start doing anything that you learned from experience. You have to have proof that you are 'allowed' to do it.

All kids want to go to college and study? Which part of the U.S. is this? Utopiaville? Tell that to the 20+% of American kids that don't put enough effort in to graduate. People who go off and truly do "wonderful and impressive things" are those that do so despite what terrible family conditions and lack of encouragement they might have. The problem with the American education system is messed up exactly because of people having delusional expectations of all kids wanting to and having the ability to get a strong liberal arts education and get a masters degree. Obsessing over test scores like English, Science, Math and History benchmark tests have forced schools to all but eliminate practical education like economics, workshop, civics, and others. Not everyone thrives in a Liberal Arts environment. You end up with kids that feel left out and discriminated against because they cannot perform up to benchmark scores on standardized tests, fail high school and end up at age 18 with no experience and no skills. It simply unrealistic to expect everyone to aspire to be a scholar and the high school model here in the US provides no exceptions. Either you conform and perform or you're deemed a failure despite with rosy encouragement your teacher might give you. So much better than people who tell you, "hey I guess you're no good at physics or literature, but you seem to be good at fixing machines, so lets help you learn how to do that."

But it's not that smart when you're someone who absolutely doesn't want to do it. And then makes an ausbuildung for three years, and afterwards decides to be a teacher and has make another ausbuildung. That was three wasted years of your life, especially since you can't take that time back to learn something that you'll want to use.

There are plenty of Americans who take nothing away from high school, wasted 4 full years of their life getting failing grades, told they are no-good, and end up having to spend another 4 years trying to get practical work experience.

I still don't think you get it... here they separate the kids in school way too early. You might end up being a plumber when you have aspirations to be a filmmaker, because they wouldn't let you go into gymnasium or study. And you being not let in might not have anything to do with your intelligence, but your family stand.

It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, but it has to do with effort. You can't be a filmmaker if you don't have good motivation, communication, writing and social skills, and if you can't pass prerequisite classes or fulfill other requirements why should they let you study film-making aside from the fact that "you simply want to?" Should we allow kids who fail biology and basic language classes to go to med school anyways? And most high schools in the US I've encountered don't even have pilot programs for ANY profession so your argument is moot. Most people who get jobs in the film making industry worked hard through high schools to get good grades across the board, went to college, and got a degree from a film school, not because Mr. So-and-so from Utopiaville High School said they could.

The German system isn't perfect, but the American system is far from being so either, so stop trying to make it sound like it is. I respect other point-of-views. but unapologetic open bias like yours is just annoying.

Just imagine, you are a citizen of the nation of the Free and the Good, yet your government tells you that you can´t even visit Cuba. You can´t even have some booze wherever you like, let alone smoke some innocent weed. Basically you can´t even sell some wine across a state border. Accept it, you can´t just do whatever you like wherever you may live.

Who needs those things when you get to live in this place?

post-42569-1232727292_thumb.jpg

What the humourless idiots fail to realise here is that the original topic is about how Zivilcourage is taken to extremes, whereby complete strangers impinge on the civil liberties of others. This is a peculiarity known to Germany, but it's not unheard of in other countries. I would say that rural communities in England are similarly nosey and intrusive as to the behaviour of others, but in London, people get stabbed on the bus while fellow passengers pretend to look out of the window.

This topic bemoans the abject lack of discretion exercised by some people in Germany. So fucking what if it's against the law - if no-one else is involved or affected, keep your fucking nose out of my affairs, thank you very much.

Who are those humourless idiots then?

If someone is opinting out to you that you shouldn't cycle without a light (as in the OP), is this an infringement on your personal liberty??

You can't have booze whenever you like here either, and the same goes for not smoking weed. If you haven't sold wine across the state border than you haven't done it right. Your list was a lot shorter than mine about germany.

All kids want to go to college and study? Which part of the U.S. is this? Utopiaville? Tell that to the 20+% of American kids that don't put enough effort in to graduate. People who go off and truly do "wonderful and impressive things" are those that do so despite what terrible family conditions and lack of encouragement they might have. The problem with the American education system is messed up exactly because of people having delusional expectations of all kids wanting to and having the ability to get a strong liberal arts education and get a masters degree. Obsessing over test scores like English, Science, Math and History benchmark tests have forced schools to all but eliminate practical education like economics, workshop, civics, and others. Not everyone thrives in a Liberal Arts environment. You end up with kids that feel left out and discriminated against because they cannot perform up to benchmark scores on standardized tests, fail high school and end up at age 18 with no experience and no skills. It simply unrealistic to expect everyone to aspire to be a scholar and the high school model here in the US provides no exceptions. Either you conform and perform or you're deemed a failure despite with rosy encouragement your teacher might give you. So much better than people who tell you, "hey I guess you're no good at physics or literature, but you seem to be good at fixing machines, so lets help you learn how to do that."

There are plenty of Americans who take nothing away from high school, wasted 4 full years of their life getting failing grades, told they are no-good, and end up having to spend another 4 years trying to get practical work experience.

It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, but it has to do with effort. You can't be a filmmaker if you don't have good motivation, communication, writing and social skills, and if you can't pass prerequisite classes or fulfill other requirements why should they let you study film-making aside from the fact that "you simply want to?" Should we allow kids who fail biology and basic language classes to go to med school anyways? And most high schools in the US I've encountered don't even have pilot programs for ANY profession so your argument is moot. Most people who get jobs in the film making industry worked hard through high schools to get good grades across the board, went to college, and got a degree from a film school, not because Mr. So-and-so from Utopiaville High School said they could.

The German system isn't perfect, but the American system is far from being so either, so stop trying to make it sound like it is. I respect other point-of-views. but unapologetic open bias like yours is just annoying.

I didn't claim the US was a Utopia. It sounds like you wanted to infer that from my posts. No one has the perfect answer, but I'm really proud of my country and the opprotunities I've had from going to school in the US. It's a lot more than I can say about germans my age, coming from their own mouths as well. Everything is organized down to your aspirations. And in the states you can do anything you put your mind to. In germany you need a piece of paper to prove that you can actually start that process.

...but I'm really proud of my country and the opprotunities I've had from going to school in the US. It's a lot more than I can say about germans my age...

Some Germans are quite pround of their country too and feel they've had good opportunities. Just let them.

It's like going to your mates house, shitting in his bath, pissing on his bed and then complaining when he starts to say something about it..

ahh, those were the days...

@ iline...yeah. that's whati was getting at.

really quite like germany. if i was to draw a line down a piece of paper, pros on one side, cons on the other; i think pros would come out on top.

ah...another example of religious zealotry. down by cheimsee last summer with GF. over heard a table of couples, aged between 40 to old, complaining about the new person who'd moved in and was PUTTING HER WASHING OUT ON A SUNDAY....FFS.

oh, and crisps. that is CRISPS, not chips. chips are at least the size of my thumb, deep fried till golden brown and fluffy on the inside. not a pathetic slither of saddened pomm d'terre. ohh. i fancy a snack. what flavour crisps should i buy? salted, paprika, paprika or...erm...salted? FFS get some flavour on your life.

same goes for curry. "we're having curry" no you're not. you simply chucking a spice named curry into a pot. that is not curry.

and 'hot'-scharf- food. not really hot is it? just a bit tingly.

J

didn't think this post would run and run as it has done...

YAY GERMANY!!!

America is such a terrible place...I am so happy that the military saw fit to station me in a country wherein I can freely roam around smoking weed. God bless this country's liberal drug laws!

That was definitely NOT a generalisation for all Germans - but anyone who hears me complaining about not being able to break minor laws undisturbed, using sarcasm and humorous context to explain my actions, and then proceeds to tell me that my behaviour was unlawful (I know, that's the point of the story, numbnuts) - that is a person devoid of humour or the ability to recognise just why I am admitting my crimes. Therefore: a humourless idiot. Clearly there is a culture clash here - Britain has more laws than Germany, yet Britons seem to compete on how many laws they can break in one day. I don't know a single law-abiding English person, not a priest, not a teacher, not a doctor. I don't know any judges or lawyers, but I know a law student who has a habit that could payroll the contras.

So, here in Berlin there exists a really nice feeling when everyone's obeying the law, as everything's running smoothly. Then some heavy-set dude with an attitude gets on the U-bahn and ruins our day, and the lack of security cameras, barriers and patrol officers suddenly nips the concept of Zivilcourage in the arse as the rest of us are too petrified to confront said offender, as he saunters off the train after smashing his fist into a scared and angry hipster's astonished mush. No civil courage in evidence there.

On the whole I get on with the Zivilcourage concept. London's a scarier place for lack of it. However, the 7-foot skinheads on the U5 at night and the Xberg gangs are never admonished by brave citizens, because that would be a stupid fucking thing to do. I just avoid those ones and let them throw their bottles at the wall. If you do want to step in, I'd suggest you ask them to recoup the pfand on the bottle rather than telling them to put it in the bin.

On the whole, there's a bit more of a community vibe if everyone's looking out for each other and not fucking the place up - I mean, do they need ASBOs here? Berliners don't put their feet up on the seats, or cross on the little red man, but they happily pop ten pills and dance for 36 hours in clubs with no health & safety regulation.

It's all about which area of the civil legislature you want to observe, I guess.

I've had the good fortune to live in Germany for 2 yrs and there's many things I love about your country and some that I scratch my head on...but I would never consider trading life in the good ol USA for Germany or anywhere else. I count my blessings (even more so now) for being born in America.