Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Craft stores in Stuttgart

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am hoping to start creating rosaries (a Catholic devotional item), and I was told by numerous people (State-side, naturally), that craft stores will have all I need (beads, wire, pliers) to build them, and for cheaper.

So, aside from the Idee store, Karstadt, and Kaufhof (which I'll be checking out later this week), does anyone have any recommendations/ideas for a good store that would have all this? I saw an Etsy site for someone who home-makes beads, so, depending on what I'm looking for, I might look at that online.

I know about the Haufler store (am Markt), but that, as I recall, is more stationary (sp?) and paper-things than more random hobby stuff?

Thanks very much!

Andy

Edit:

Any place in the surrounding Stuttgart area is fine (basically any place I can reach by the S-Bahn).

Strange man you are. One thread you asking about beer (albeit kloster bier) and one another where you can get stuff to make rosaries...

Just checked and it is only local to me, I thought they were a chain of shops. There's one in Calw, which doesn't really help you that much...sorry.

Schade.

Thanks anyway though.

Is there anything to see in Calw? It seems as though, if I were willing to make a day of it (which I might?), that Calw would be nice to see. It looks like a little, cute German town (based off of Wiki pages).

So, any recommendations for "things" to see in Calw?

And, in case i do end up heading out there, what street is the Kompf store on?

Thanks!

Seralynn As you said you will have base privileges, there is a decent craft store on one of the bases (Patch Bks) which has quite a large fabric assortment. It is more expensive than JoAnnes (approx $8-$10) a yard but it does have up to date fabric from the big designers like Amy Butler etc.

Personally I buy from Fabric.com they are really cheap and they ship to APO's in about a week, they also ship to German addreses if you are willing to pay the shipping and possible customs charges. You can buy fabric from Ikea but it is that jazzy Swedish style though it is pretty cheap at around 5 Eur per meter. The online stores do offer fabric but most that I've seen is like the stuff your Granny would upholster her couch with!

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to remember that when I get to Stuttgart. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of sewing ;)

Try Opitec.de and order a catalog. I buy accessories to paint on and the fabric paint and brushes from them at good prices (like wholesale in US). Delivery is usually 3-4 days. I pay their Rechnung with an Überweisung. I don't have much luck finding what I want on their website but their catalog is wonderful. Lots of beads and the things you need to work with beads. A full line of equipment, I think.

I buy my beads on ebay. This includes silver wire and sterling silver clasps and whatnot. It's a lot cheaper, especially for precious and semi precious stones. The user name Beadaholic has pretty great deals and ships for free in the US and I believe free or if not very cheap intl'. Ive been buying through ebay while here on my us ebay acct and havent had a problem

You can buy stuff like that on www.i-perlen.de This Online shop has all what you need for the rosaries much cheaper that in normal stores. I buy my stuff for selfmade necklaces there.

Hope this is helping you.

Irena