Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Expected costs of TÜV and headlights

12 posts in this topic

I've just taken my English VW Polo to a Toytown recommended garage for a quote on getting it Germany-ready:

- TUV inspection

- Emissions thingy

- Replace the headlights and fog light

- Plus a general service (oil change, brake fluid, filter)

Quoted cost is €900 (of which €200 for the service).

Q: Is that a reasonable cost? It's much more than I was expecting!

Also, I still have UK plates. From reading somewhere in TT I was planning to get the TUV done and then register for Munich plates. Just to confirm, is that the correct order? I'm hesitant because I don't want to pay this money then discover I have to renew the TUV for a new registration...

Thanks!

No experience with them but plenty with Stimmer (who I'm pretty sure don't speak English but are very good at what they do) - if in doubt take it to them and ask for a quote. It sounds high - the TUV/AU is about 90€, oil change should be less than 50€ all in, and from your 900€ that leaves a lot of money for two headlight units, a fog lamp and an hour or two to fit them.

Edit: I noticed brake fluid change, and filters - still sounds high. What filters are they changing? Oil & air probably, fuel & aircon probably not.

Just tried Stimmer - they won't give me a quote over the phone, though they did confirm your TUV figures.

I told Liebl (the English speaking one) that it seemed a little expensive and he pointed out that the headlights alone cost 225 ex vat. Still, he came down 150 on the total cost, plus we agree to skip the service. The final cost of 550 is closer to being reasonable.

In answer to my own question, earlier, the TUV can be done before changing plates - the paperwork is taken to the registration office and applied to the new reg when changed.

Feel free to merge this elsewhere, thanks for the comments. :)

Stimmer did a similar job on my Skoda Octavia a few months ago, total cost was over 1K Euro but it did include 4 winter tyres as well. They also contacted TUV and got ball rolling for registration - TUV guy was confused by UK registration and MOT certificates. Got number plates and green Unwelt sticker at Stocker.

I can dig out Stimmer invoice details for breakdown if it helps.

When you have your paperwork in order, TUV test and exhaust, and you're on the way to register the car, don't forget to take your old UK number plates with you. When I registered my car in Ulm, I took every piece of paper I had for the car, included UK MOTs etc etc. They were pretty fast, and only cared about the TUV, exhaust test, and the V5 doc (UK registration doc). But I forgot to take the number plates with me, and they wouldn't give me Germany plates without handing my old ones over. The other doc you'll need, is your passport. I had this with me for the car, but when I registered my motorbike, I didn't ... so I had to come back the next day with that.

You'll need to tell the DVLA that you've exported the car. If you don't do this they'll keep sending SWORN notifications to you.

The Fiat Stilo just needed new headlights, but the Fiat garage was happy for me to buy pattern lights, and just pay for them to fit them. Original Fiat lights were expensive. Maybe you could try that option? I found new lights via eBay.

On a different note, my wife hates driving the car with the wheel on the "wrong" side. But hey! It gives the car character!

Good Luck!

I do not understand the logic of this - unless possibly you want to drive the vehicle

until it is "schrott".

A RHD German registered vehicle is just about worhless. If it goes back to the UK

it will need converting again.

You can drive a UK vehicle in D for year as long as it is insured.

(German law is more generous than the EU rules) - take it back to the UK every year and bring it back again

for another year! (I did this for years).