Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German firefighters burn down their own station

8 posts in this topic

Sky News: Doh! Fire crews burn down station.

A group of German firefighters have apparently managed to set fire to their own station and let it burn - for the second time. All the station's fire engines were destroyed in the blaze. The blaze was reportedly started by the firefighters themselves during a training exercise. But investigators say it could have been caused by faulty wiring at the station in Syke, northern Germany.

Strange thing is I read here, Freiwillige feuerwehr, this morning that the fire service is having problems getting youngsters to join. It all sound rather fun to me.

post-16-1231958721.jpg

It all sound rather fun to me.

"Fun"... and potentially very dangerous. It isn't a job for the faint of heart. You must be willing to put your own life on the line in order to save others.

Sounds like those idiots could use a bit more training.

Strange thing is I read here, Freiwillige feuerwehr, this morning that the fire service is having problems getting youngsters to join. It all sound rather fun to me.

Ah, the difference is that the Berufsfeuerwehr gets to lay... err... fight fire. The Freiwillige Feuerwehr mostly scrapes accident victims off the highway, or at least the former volunteer firefighters i know did.

The Freiwillige Feuerwehr mostly scrapes accident victims off the highway

It depends on where you are. In the small town where I used to live, the Freiwillige Feuerwehr did the works (including the rescuing of cats up trees). However, if they had something big, I guess they had a nearby crew to call on and the factory there had their own fire brigade.

Basically any organisation (be it Freiwillige feuerwehr, some sporting activity even political party) is currently having difficulties getting people to join because it means COMMITMENT & not just sitting in front of a PC...

Getting people to commit their time to the FF is a problem for us too, here in Grafschaft Hoya, but we are lucky enough to have some very good trainers who give more than just their spare tme to the job. Our problem here is having fourteen different FF stations in the county, and trying to do our best by all of them. I have the unenviable job of approving new appliances for the FF, as part of my job as County Councillor.

I only hope that the people in Syke - which was a part of the Grafschaft Hoya until 1977 - manage to get their acttogether and call up enough funds to replace their vehicles otherwise we, being neighbours, will have to answer their call outs!

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the last time they burnt down the station was back in the Seventies.

Adam.