Microbreweries or brew pubs in Munich city

45 posts in this topic

Yes the Weisses Bräuhaus have a list of about 8 main beers plus others. This is unusual for Munich breweries who, ontop of their basic Helles, Weissbier and Dunkles only produce one "special" beer all year round these days. With another 2 seasonal beers. Oktoberfest beer and Strong beer and maybe a May beer.

Yes there is enough here for 10 days holiday. But it should be enjoyed in a different way to a town that has many smaller breweries competing against each other.

Well Schneider Weisse isn't a Munich brewery, or at least not for the past century or so. What it is is one of only about seven or eight breweries in Bavaria that understands the concept of choice, quality and experimentation. If every brewery owner had the same vision as Schneider we'd be living in a brewing paradise. (Fortunately he's a better brewer and manager than a painter, as anyone who has studied the bottle artwork will agree.)

Ah yes. True. They are from outside the protection zone Munich, yet within Bavaria where there are other breweries to put the Munich clique to shame. I actually thought I was posting on the other, similar, thread that linked here. I need a beer!

Just a little update on the Munich microbrewery situation from my side :)

The Bier Laboratorium has become Giesinger - and Unionsbräu is now closed, but is set to reopen next week under Igor Divjak. I'm keen to see how that develops...

Here's a piece I wrote on Munich's microbreweries - do feel free to let me know if I missed any off!

http://www.artsinmunich.com/places/munichs-best/munichs-best-small-breweries/

Local and often full: Giesing Brauerei (mentioned above).

http://www.giesinger-braeu.de/

Giesinger Bräu, Martin-Luther-Str. 2, 81539 München, Deutschland

Also to confuse, the TUM has a 'Forschungsbrauerei' in Weihenstephan (so you can confuse it with bad Weissbier and the Forschungsbrauerei on the other side of Minga). The TUM Forschungsbrauerei gave our TUM group a tour last year and we got to try 'Weihenstephan Pale Ale' and a stout. The WPA was alright (but my Italian and Bavarian coworkers disagreed, but who are they to judge).