Microbreweries or brew pubs in Munich city

45 posts in this topic

It's changed its spots so many times I didn't think the brew-pub part had survived.

they still claim to brew on the premises but i've always been sceptical. the machinery doesn't look like it's in use.

There is no Brew Pub next to Pullach station! This information is quite inacurate and missleading to people who do not know the area. There is however a brew pub next to Grossheselhoe station called 'Isarbraeu' which is one station further in to Munich. This pub has been there for some time and was intrduced to me by a german friend.

If memory serves, some brewery just outside of Munich (Prinz somethingorother?) opened a microbrewery there, in the city limits, in order to get a tent at the Wies'n. They didn't succeed in getting a tent but were there for a few years. It was more of a cellar pub/restaurant when we went some years ago.

I don't think anything is official yet, but a new microbrewery called Ale Werkstatt is looking to turn the former public showers just north of Theresienwiese into a brewpub. I believe they're looking for investors at the moment. There are good profits to be made from brewpubs, because without any middlemen something that costs a few pennies to make can be sold for €3.80 per half-litre. However you have to get the concept and the food right. This venue looks a little small to me and I'd be concerned about the location.

Crew Alewerkstatt

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I will be in Munich soon for ten days. I know how to find the major brews, but would like to know if there are any good places to drink German craft or microbrews in Munich. Somewhere that also serves good food would be a real plus.

It's a common mistake to think that Munich might be a good place to drink beer, but I'm afraid it isn't. The only places of even vague interest are the Forschungsbrauerei as mentioned above, and the Andechs pub or a restaurant serving beer from Aktienbrauerei for slightly superior standard beers. If you want selection then you need to get on a train and head north, at least as far as Regensburg and preferably all the way to Bamberg. It's a different world up there.

Thanks to all for confirming my fears. It's funny, when I was in Berlin earlier this year, I was told I needed to go to places like Munich to find Germans that took their beer seriously. But it seems as though all Germans have lost that old time religion.

What about CREW? Have they opened their own location in the former "public showers" yet? If not, are they available only in bottles, or where can I find them on tap?

I think Crew were just bullshitting about that location; it is now going to be turned into a pub but I don't think they have anything to do with it. Their website has a list of pubs and stores that sell their beer, but if you're coming from America then it's a bit like tea to China, since they only brew American-style beer.

Berlin actually has a much larger number of small breweries as well as pubs/stores with an international/interesting selection of beer. Here it's still VERY conservative – and that is their religion, for better or for worse.

Don't be too disheartened, Munich beer is very good, it's just that there is very little variety, most of the available beers taste pretty much the same regardless of which brewery they come from. Some people claim they can tell the difference between one brewery and another, personally I think that is nonsense.

Well, I will only be there for ten days, so I am sure I won't get bored. I like most of the German styles, and with Crew I suspect that tasting the German play on the American play on the quintessentially English style known as INDIA Pale Ale should at minimum provide me with a United Nations moment. I will just have to try very hard to see if I can taste the differences between German brews!