Microbreweries or brew pubs in Munich city

45 posts in this topic

I love beer, especially the huge variety of it available in every corner of the planet but as good as a jar of Augustiner vom Holzfass may be there's not much variety in it. In the UK microbreweries and brew pubs are springing up everywhere, and there are many small breweries throughout the Bavarian countryside, all of which offer an interesting twist to a night out in the pub.

Considering Munich's beer culture it is surprising that there aren't more small breweries in the city, and pubs with a brewery attached that offer frequently changing beers. I can only think of one microbrewery, Unions-Bräu-Haidhausen, within the city boundaries and of course Fliegerbrau if you push that definition of the city a bit and Airbräu at the airport, the best thing about flying. There doesn't even seem to be a TT thread about microbreweries in Munich, although there are plenty about beer, bars and enjoying the same ;).

Can anyone think of any more small breweries that are in or very close to the city, or bars that take regular deliveries of interesting beers (ideally cask conditioned) from them?

Paulaner in der Kapuzinerstr. beim Arbeitsamt -- they do actually brew a beer on the premises that you can't get anywhere else. Changes regularly, too.

Sure, it's officially part of Munich. It's only between Giesing and Neuperlach on the S-Bahn, it's not miles away *tchoh*.

The Forschungsbrauerei that Crusoe links to is the only independent microbrewery in Munich. They brew an excellent Franconian-style Pils and a Heller Bock, both of which are significantly different to the standard Munich offering. Unionsbräu is owned by Löwenbräu (or at least used to be).

Otherwise you'll have to do a Getränkemarkt run up to Franconia; as previously discussed, the beer scene in Munich is depressingly limited.

Actually, I forgot another one - on Birkenau in the south of Munich there's the Untergiesing brauerei Das Bier Laboratorium which produce some rather interesting beers (but why do Germans name fun things after science? Forschungs this and laboratory that :rolleyes: ). It's a real garage outfit, run by two very friendly guys who are doing relatively well. They sell crates direct to the public, and it's available in Kathmandu in bottles, but I've not seen casks anywhere and they don't run a bar/biergarten.

The fact that people are listing microbreweries already mentioned on this thread says everything we need to know about the lack of variety here. It also says something about poor reading skills, but that's a separate issue.

Actually, I forgot another one - on Birkenau in the south of Munich there's the Untergiesing brauerei

Birkenau? Rather depressing name for a Brewery :o

I'm sure the name of the Birch Meadow pre-dates the establishment of the Polish concentration camp. And the brewery is in Birkenau Street, anyway. It's not the name of the brewery. :rolleyes:

That was a German concentration camp by the way, just happened to be located in occupied Poland.

While out with the wife enjoying the sun the other weekend we stumbled across another brewery, this one directly on the Theresienwiese next to Lutz. She suggested we stop for a coffee in a bar that was in the sun and she just happened to choose the Hacker-Pschorr Bräuhaus (there's a very good reason why I married her ;) ) who brew their own stuff on site in their small brewery there and the results are pretty good. Sadly it's still the same helles, dunkles, weissbier trio and a variation seasonal brew but without any really interesting beers. It's a huge place and certainly worth a look...

Haven't actually been there for years, but the Dreigroschenkeller just behind Museum Lichtspiel still seems to do what the menu seems to call Plopp (presumably because it's in a swing-top bottle).

Well, I managed to get to FB in Perlach on a Tages Karte 'Innenzone' so it must be within the city limits.