Why isn't my question about visas allowed here?

70 posts in this topic

What I want to know is why the hell is my Visa bill so high? Editor Bob this is a time sensitive question.

Newcomers who specifically sign-up to the forum in order to ask a visa question will always have that question denied. Only established forum members are allowed to start topics in the visas section. The rationale for this is that TT is not a freebie question-and-answer service for visas. Expecting valuable free advice out of the community without ever having previously contributed to the community is unfair and not the intended purpose of this site. The definition of "established member" is a loose one, but a member who joined more than three months ago and has more than ten posts to their name will be looked upon much more favourably than a member who joined one hour ago and has zero other posts.

I really WISH the Aussie expat forum I read had such a policy. It's overloaded with the same spouse/relative/etc. visa questions over and over and over asked by people who disappear once they've gotten their answers. There's very little community to the board, simply because it gets buried underneath all the same old repeated stuff.

I just happened to "discover" this discussion, but I do think there is one more aspect that Editor Bob didn't really discuss.

Unlike many other threads where questions of a dubious nature are asked, a question (and answer) about a visa could have very serious consequences. If the questioner relied upon the answer and made a "legal" decision about what to do, he/she could find a real problem. That is not to say the answer was in error, but the circumstances around each case are different, and the rules are not always clear.

It's true I've seen other advice of a "legal" nature posted here, but I don't recall any where doing the wrong thing might end up with deportation or whatever. And, it's a given, that the advice/answers here are the best people know...and sometimes they might be wrong, or the rules might have changed.

In general, I agree. If you want visa-related advice...except for perdido who simply can't manage finances...the best source is the appropriate embassy or national web site. If the answer isn't there, direct contact with a government official is in order. What might have been true for me could well be different for someone else, even though our situations "appear" to be identical.

I admit that when I first joined TT, I started by asking a question...seeking somebody with experience to tell me. Thankfully, many others did, and although there were conflicting answers, I found what I needed. Yep, I had to sort through the dross, but there were some gems in there, and for that, I thank every member here.

WA

hello Ed.

am trying to get my info in edgeways :) but your rules are strict (and make sense, I might add!) I am a newbie around here in that I visit often, laugh a lot, know lots of TTers by name and post.. but haven't had a lot of useful things to add to the forum seeing as I've been in Germany only a few weeks. But in this short time, I have had LOTS of trouble with my visa, which I doggedly resolved and THAT info might be of help to others. So here goes (and if you deem fit, you can move/delete this post)

Schengen Business visa (C-type) extension (I have read elsewhere on the forum that this is impossible) :

I arrived here on a Schengen business visa for 3 months - y'all know that 90 days in 6 months rule. Well, turns out I was on the wrong visa since my fantastic company admin that was supposed to help, guide, handhold.. well, just wasn't up to speed. Now I needed to stay for a 6 month project and there seemed to be no way to get my 90 days extended to 180 days. everywhere I looked told me the same thing - including the Auslanderamt. Extensions only granted on the 90 days visa if you are over 65 or deathly ill. Small mercy - I am neither :)

The only answer was to go back to home country, apply for new visa/work permit and get back after 6-8 weeks, by which time the project would almost be over. Hallejluiah.

Solution: It's not over until it's over. So push every button, get as much info as you can (it's in your own interest after all) bug everyone in HR until someone does their job! or until someone *up* there smiles down on you...

A senior guy at Auslanderamt turned out to be helpful on the phone to a German friend I set up as my spokesperson. This was the first ray of hope - if someone was willing to help in an unbureaucratic way, maybe there was a chance. I got hold of my HR and convinced them to speak to Auslanderamt. A friendly soul there admitted that getting the visa extended might even be possible, but she didn't have the authority - passed it on to her boss. Boss repeated that it was possible to get the extension, but he was the wrong guy. After a few hits and misses we finally got the 'right' guy - convinced him of the need for the extension (basically that I'd been given the wrong visa, HR had f-ed up, we are soooo sorrry, etcetera). He told me to go get registered, fill out a form and by the evening I had a new national visa (D type) which extends my stay, but doesn't allow me to travel in Schengen states (sad, but can live with that) - and just a day before I'd have to leave the country.

Moral of the long story: It IS possible to get a 90 days Schengen visa (C type) extended. You have to get your company team on your side, get all the info in advance, and pray for a little luck.

Because your an idiot man if you rely on TT people to answer visa questions. You go to the relevant embassy.

Owain, your too soft with these clowns. Tell it like it is. They are idiots man!!!

whoa! hold it eagle.

Other people's experiences can often point us in the right direction. Visa offices, embassy, foreigner offices are far to quick to say - NO! NOT POSSIBLE and tell you the hardest bally way to get to the solution. But if someone else has tripped over a usable solution, why shouldn't the others be able to use that info if they need help. And that IS the whole point of a community.

It's easy to get all high n mighty about it when you DONT have a problem..

m23, when someone else has the same problem you had with immigration, and is at the point where they just won't help anymore, what should that person say? "I know this guy from Toytown, m23, who talked to some other guy in the Auslaenderamt in Berlin, and HE said . . ." Think that would be effective?

That's the problem with these questions in Germany. There really is very little consistency, and if you expect it, you are likely to be disappointed.

I think M23 is saying the answers may not be there but there can be a guide of possible solutions. Besides what do you care Cinzia its not your problem so why are you on this thread.

cinza..

nope, not at all - that wasn't my point.

let's take my case as an example - from all 'official' quarters, including very expensive immigration lawyers :) i was told that extending a 90 days c type visa is impossible. it's only when i read on another forum that someone had their visa changed to d type at auslanderamt that i knew: 1) it might be possible 2) there is a precedence so i know i am not asking for the moon! 3) it's the auslanderamt that has the authority.

and you are right, there is here (as everywhere else in the world) complete inconsistency even when it comes to these very official and red-tape bound matters such as visa/immigration. so it helps to know that it is indeed (sometimes) possible and not give up on it altogether as though it weren't possible.

anyway - i hope my experience helps someone else.. as i was helped by this lil gem of info from elsewhere :D

Because your an idiot man if you rely on TT people to answer visa questions. You go to the relevant embassy.

Owain, your too soft with these clowns. Tell it like it is. They are idiots man!!!

Everywhere you write your you mean you're, fucking loudmouth idiot. If someone takes the time to post an even semi relevant story of success in the face of idiot bureaucracy then let them.

It is not about the answers really, it is about the listening. Being organized is great, but the point of that is to provide info? Well, we all know that Visa info is only helpful if it is current and even then, the rules change. The truth is, people asking questions are not really looking to dispel ignorance, they are looking to dispel innocence.

I posted my question here and the most wonderful people HELPED me. Not with the answers, but with the sympathy, with warmth and friendship, just like family. And if I can do the same for the next new folks, I will. I do know what it feels like to be scared, lonely and a fish out of water. Knowing that there are others like me and also those that have been there, done that, makes it all a little easier to get through. Thank you for that.

hello

i find it disappointing that you dont allow newbies ot post visa questions. i understand that users dont want to answer the same ridiculous posts over and over again, but no one forces them to answer in the first place. my understanding of forums are to create a place where people can get together and ask questions and assist each other. by not being able to ask a question from this community because i am not established enough, it discourages me from wanting to become established. perhaps this isnt a concern for you but i would want a more welcoming site. that being said i will post my question below and hope that you are willing to post it anyway since i am having a hard time finding others who have had actual experience with the issue rather that the 'i heard from someone' advice.

thank you for your time,

my question...

i am applying for the student visa with the intent to learn german so that i may transfer to a university here and finish my degree in biology. the information that i have found for a student visa also requires that you prove that you are finacial stable or have someone who is willing to support you. i have found the forms that are used when you have a german citizen who is willing to support you but i am having a hard time finding information of what to do when you have a non related friend from the states who is willing to support you. does anyone have experience with this? i have heard of the ever elusive friend of a friend but i am hoping for some first hand experience. if this is not possible i will would like to know so i can find another way before going to the aliens office (i am already here in berlin and have 30 plus days left on my tourist visa).

thanks again for your time

theresa

i find it disappointing that you dont allow newbies ot post visa questions. i understand that users dont want to answer the same ridiculous posts over and over again, but no one forces them to answer in the first place. my understanding of forums are to create a place where people can get together and ask questions and assist each other. by not being able to ask a question from this community because i am not established enough, it discourages me from wanting to become established.

You haven't really thought that one through. If any and all questions are allowed to be posted with the assumption that people don't have to bother answering then the board will become cluttered with dozens and dozens of unanswered threads. By forcing people to engage their grey matter just a little bit it means that the visa threads which exist do actually contain lots of useful answers.

Rather than just considering how helpful we can be to you specifically, Leafgirl, we prefer to take the approach of trying to provide the most useful help to the largest possible number of people. Sorry if this causes an inconvenience for you personally and discourages you from joining the community. We are all the poorer for your lack of establishment.

@ leafgirl12 you only joined half an hour ago but did you already filter through the TT 'student visa' search results.

I for one am all for the new system. I also like the feature of having to search first before posting a new thread. I see some people still don't use that feature.

The same old visa threads, 'How can I stay here' 'I need a job but can't get a visa, catch 22' BS gets tired after the first 254 or so. blah blah blah...hmm I don't feel like typing any more all of a sudden...

You need to have your sponsor fill out a "Verpflichtungserklärung". You should be able to obtain one at your local aliens office. This is the only document they will accept for your visa. It is basically an affidavit of support. They prefer you to have someone in Germany sponsor you, rather than parents living in the USA. And when I say prefer, I mean it is almost mandatory. Good luck.

There.

There's the name of the form, a poster who has been through the system and a bit of personal experience too.

Adding any further questions to that specific thread about "sponsors" would have been well-placed and would probably have garnered yet more reponses.

A new thread was not necessary.

Does no one else find this discussion amusing? Ed Bob posts a topic, on approving visa topics and three pages later there is still an ear bashing going on, on the topic which is meant to be approved :P

This rule is very unusual. Where am I supposed to ask for help with visa problems if I am not allowed post in this forum?

Moral of the story (as I learned at the visa office today): "we don't care.. go back to your country".