Why isn't my question about visas allowed here?

70 posts in this topic

We are not discussing the validity of a particular question but the principle of allowing the mods to separate the wheat from the chaff for a certain topic.

The first post in this thread has been updated with information about why many posts are being denied to this section.

Here's the relevant snippet:

Newcomers who specifically sign-up to the forum in order to ask a visa question will always have that question denied. Only established forum members are allowed to start topics in the visas section. The rationale for this is that TT is not a freebie question-and-answer service for visas. Expecting valuable free advice out of the community without ever having previously contributed to the community is unfair and not the intended purpose of this site. The definition of "established member" is a loose one, but a member who joined more than three months ago and has more than ten posts to their name will be looked upon much more favourably than a member who joined one hour ago and has zero other posts.

Whether your post is authorised or not, either way you will not be informed. If TT were a commercial visa advisory service and you paid to use it, you could expect customer service. That is not the nature of this site, so you shouldn't expect any kind of service at all.

Three new topics this afternoon alone have been denied.

All three were questions posted by newcomers who joined less than an hour before posting and who were demanding to know the answers to their particular visa situation. In all three cases the only thing that the posters should be doing is talking to the immigration office. Regardless of what advice is given here you are going to have to go to the immigration office anyway, so you might as well go straight there. Nothing said here will change what the officials will say or do to you.

In a few cases there is advice that can be made here that is helpful in preparation before going to immigration. In those cases the posts are allowed through.

I also joined with the hope of sharing information as well as asking questions, but have been very turned off by some of the nastiness.

Did you really? Strange that you are not "sharing information" or "asking questions" then. Just complaining and critising which, of course, seems be OK for you to do, even though you object to the rest of us doing it. Perhaps you need a change of approach if you genuinely want to achieve your "hope"?

Someone who joins an established group in real life and immediately starts complaining about the group dynamics of that established group is probably not going to be welcome with open arms (regardless of whether their comments might have some vailidity). Neither, usually, are "freeloaders" who want to take and not give back. Many real life groups also have some hosility, bitching, double-dealing and other dysfunctional traits etc. The list goes on. No different in the "virtual" world.

EDIT - And there is of course, nothing at all "nasty" about suggesting that anyone with an individual immigration query might be better advised to ask the authorities rather than a bunch of strangers. Actually it's doing them a favour. And, if not getting a buch of TT-er's responding to your query by telling you how great you are and giving you everything you need turns you into a jibbering wreck or puts up an insurmountable barrier to your emigration plans, it's probably also done you a favour. Clearly the demands of immigration are not for you because, really, you have *no* idea of what you'll be up against.

It is very strange that people take such comfort in being so rude to one another.

I see this was your first post, I'm sure you will continue to be an asset to the community of TT. No, arse to that, I don't care what you do on TT. So far you have contributed nothing so don't feel obliged to continue to inform the rest of us of the value or lack thereof of our posts. There are many TTers who enjoy a bile filled rant from time to time but spend much of their employer's time answering questions about Germany. Who you are or what you can contribute interests me not one jot but your attitude is shit. Good day, sir.

there is of course, nothing at all "nasty" about suggesting that anyone with an individual immigration query might be better advised to ask the authorities rather than a bunch of strangers. Actually it's doing them a favour.

Yes - but that's generally not what is wanted right? OPs keep asking until they find SOMEONE who will give them an answer that aligns with what they want to hear rather than ask those who have the power to decide (in this case the authorities). Phenomena can be seen regularly on the "why do I have to buy a U-Bahn ticket in Berlin and when I don't why do I get fined it is so unfair" threads...

For info, Fricka's above post is his/her second. Their first post was a visa question but it was denied, which is why you can't see it. The visa question was posted just 13 minutes after joining.

Fricka said in that visa post that he/she had already spoken to the authorities and gotten an answer, but he/she wanted independent confirmation of that answer here. That is not what TT is for.

Editor Bob:

Actually since I have been here I have experienced that in german bureaucracy you are often told one thing by one person at the auslaender behoerde and then another thing by another employee. If there is one thing I have learned is that there is often not a consistency. That is why I posted here. I was told at the the immigration office, yes this will probably be okay, but even they expressed uncertainty. Then to be sure I called a german consulate in america so that I could least talk to someone in my native language. I received another "yes, it seems like that would be alright". There was never a definitive answer because my situation was truly unique in it's nature. Thus, it seemed to be a wholly reasonable and intelligent thing to post here in hopes that there might be one or two people to pipe up and say. "Yes, I was in your situation and this is how things worked out for me". It is scary being in this country and trying to figure out this system and it is helpful to reach out to those who speak your language.

I have complete respect for your job as moderator. However, I must express dissent at your decision to censor my question. There might be someone on the forum who might have some information or perspective that would be helpful to me and who might be happy to answer my question and I seriously do not understand the harm in posting it. In fact, in posting it, you wouldn't actually be hurting anyone, but in choosing to censor it, you are denying me the small opportunity that someone might have something helpful to say.

Lastly, I really am a believer in just general goodwill towards others. So, I felt compelled in my earlier post on the thread to call it like I see it. I just started checking out this forum because I came to Germany for a contract job and am now looking to possibly move here. I really thought it was an excellent resource. Then I starting reading the forum and seeing how often people get hostile, mean responses to their questions. True, some of the questions were truly asked by lazy people who could easily find it on their own through the internet. But there were many other threads where someone would ask a genuine, legitimate question and get ripped to shreds because some felt their question was not worthy of being asked. That's just not how I personally chose to deal with things. I like to keep it positive, so someone asks a foolish question I probably would just ignore it rather than respond by being abusive or mean. But to each their own.

In any case, best wishes to all who are working their way through red tape.

Peace,

Fricka

I can respect that! :) How can one possibly join? I really enjoy this forum and would like to be a part of it :D

Sometimes a question someone asks is just searching for someone who has had the same or a similar experience. After posting a question of my own a few days ago, i saw the msg about Q's related to Visas and thought "Oh well, there goes that chance"... And I seem to have been right... Still not posted just because I mentioned Visa as part of the post.

But at the same time, my Q was not directly related to Visas but more to any body out there that has had a German GF that dumped them after telling them she was pregnant and asking for advice on rights etc. as an Australian here in Germany.

I think I will rewrite the post ohne Visum fragen.

Ive run a few forum communities myself and made similar moves to counter "lurkers", or people who come to take and not give back.. in the end I believe it was a bad idea, less people came.. and it gave a negative sense, basically telling people you need to do this first before your accepted.. which most people would shy away from and find a answer elsewhere. Although the community has strong growth, its limiting its true potential. Even if its pointless questions, or the same questions over and over, whats the use of a Forum if your gonna tell everyone to ask someone else or use Google? Might as well close the section, that gets the point across more directly than this.

Every forum has a different dynamic. I run three expat forums for three different countries. On the other two forums it wouldn't be good to restrict the visa/permit sections. On this forum, however, I stand by the current ruling.

You've previously contributed to this forum, Elis, so your recent question about study visas has now been approved.

It depends on what kind of forum you want to run and so is up to the guy who runs the forum. If somebody feels that a Q&A forum is needed, they can start one.

I am on another forum which is a true Q&A forum although with no link to Germany and the amount of repeat questions is overwhelming. People come in to ask their question or 20 and then are off, never to be seen again. It's just a different type of forum, totally different atmosphere, much less community.