Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Claiming US/UK veterans benefits in Germany

2 posts in this topic

Well, the topic title and description pretty much says it all- has anyone used veterans tuition benefits at a German university or known someone who has (according to the US GI Bill website there are some German universities that have been approved)?

Thanks in advance...

Very few german unis have been approved and mostly these were in US army base areas in Bavaria and in an English language bubble. The GI Bill in Buffalo approves German unis fast, they approved my program in about 4 months. Every German uni or fachhochshule (the latter are generally better these days for getting jobs after graduation because they teach what germans firms need, like IT skills, electrical engineering...) has an international student office. But I have found that only expensive English language international programs wanting native English speakers from Anglo-American countries within universities are willing to apply for approval. I wanted to go to a fachhochschule but no one was interested in helping, nor were regular uni people willing to help. Just the people in the expensive programs within the unis. So, since I could only get an expensive program (GI Bill covered only 1/3 of program expenses, and now I have to learn German and my professional specialty at home over a year or two because i cannot afford training in it because GI Bill won't pay...60,0000 in benefits are being withheld...) the GI Bill did not even cover tuition let alone living expenses. Ideal would be if you could chat up an employee at the international student office at a uni or Fachhochschule and convince them to apply to get the school approved...I failed to convince anyone...hope you have better luck. If you have good luck please PM me on it as I have been trying very hard for years to use my GI Bill here with no real luck.