Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TT Berlin Photography club photo meet up

915 posts in this topic

Went to the Teufelsberg myself today. Was scared and worried at first being the only soul there until more and more people started to appear. Was rather fun and scary at the same time. Here are some of my pictures to share with you guys.

Teufelsberg, Berlin

ps. 80% of the pics are exported from LR without post processing.

thanks asamlaksa, excellent! I love the graffiti and the view from the top looks really great, thanks for sharing them!

Anyone up to photo things this weekend? I would like to do some night photography around the city (maybe the Berlin Lights thing but...) if it's clear.

If not, what about a exhibition some nice warm place somewhere?

~Rose

PS - some night photos from beginning of month up on the blog/flickr.

http://blog.phoenixrosedesign.com/

yep would be up for something! I always love night photography, not overly fussed about the lights thing since they copyrighted the light show, but don't mind wandering along if you're doing some and taking other stuff. I do want to take some on Unter den Linden though of the trees/lights and also have a mental list of other shots I want at night around the city!

But yeah, if its not clear an exhibition somewhere warm would be good - I never did the one I mentioned above at Max Liebermann Haus, must admit though I'm as intrigued to see the inside of the building as the photos! Not sure what else is on at the mo, but can check around the net later.

For night photography, some of the Industriehöfe in Keruzberg and Prenzlauerberg can be good. There is actually a lot of atmosphere in these places at night.

I am looking for location to do some light painting, so if you are going to places at night in a group then I am definitely interested.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this...

Have any of you participating in this group worked with actors/models for any of your photography? If so, how did you come about them? What sort of lead time would I need, how could I access them?

Yes, can pay.

Are there any that frequent this group?

Thanks.

Sorry all - my home phone/internet is completely dead - and I'm having a time trying to get it back up and running. Posting from work at the moment. Callie - let's pick a time/place and go. I don't care much about the lights festival either, but am loving the new tripod - though I've run out of subjects near where I live. (small town and all). The one place I want to get at night is around the technology museum/anhalter bahnhof. I've also thought a bit about kulturebrewerai and maybe some street shots up and around wedding. Wouldn't mind shoeneburg either - that rathhaus is really pretty. Hampster, Hampster, you're welcome, as always to join.

I've been testing, and it feels like the best time (before time change) is the 30-45 minutes (to me at least) between about 5:45 and 6:30 ish. When the sky kind of turns that nice deep blue purple and the lights look warm and inviting. Of course, the fog where I live has been rather intriguing too, but... BRR! ;)

Seattle101 - nope, not yet, just because of some of the "getting people to sign releases" stuff that's involved. If it doesn't bother you, you could try posting here in the models wanted (make sure you state what kind of model and what kind of photography) and you could even try some of the Berlin flickr groups (and/or craigslist/kijiji.com).

Hi there,

I'm a newbie in Toytown and would love to join the club. I'm just a beginner in photography as well, so I kinda hope that we can exchange our experiences and you guys can help me with my huge bunch of questions about cameras and so on.

Btw, when and where will the next meeting be?

Thanks,

Ly

Rose how about this coming Sunday for around technology museum and anhalter bahnhof area? Other suggestions sound good too, I'd certainly like to do some around the Kulturbrauerei and P.berg. As for time, yeah the ideal is as the sun is going down, still a little blue in the sky and the building lights are on - thats if there is any blue in the sky, which there doesn't seem to be much at the moment! I went out around museum island last night, got there around 5:15 which was just about right. With the cloudy skies we're getting now though, timing isn't so crucial, you're not going to get the lovely blue/purply sky and often the cloud will reflect light back and look pretty good. But how about say 5:15 by Anhalter Bahnhof on Sunday? Hamster Hamster and Unilynth hope you'll join us, you're very welcome! And Hamster, light painting can be good fun, we should certainly give it a go some place.

Sunday sounds Great Callie. I'll plan on being there with tripod.

Also thinking to do something tonight/tomorrow as the colors on the trees really popped over night - at least where I am. Hoping to get off work a bit early - and if the weather holds, head into the Stahnsdorf Cemetery or somewhere for a bit of wandering in the autumn splendor. I went about a week to late last year (november 1) and got some lovely pictures:

http://www.flickr.co...57608995607435/

but am hoping that this works out better - as the colors will be a bit more intense rather than fading. Now, if only the SUN will co-operate.

Hamster - I'd be glad to try light painting as well - not sure how to do it - but yes... lets. smile.gif

Unilynth - welcome. Looks like it's going to be Sunday. smile.gif.

Oh - just a reminder - November 7-9 will have the big "fall of the wall" celebrations in and around Berlin. Mark your calendars for the photo opportunities.

Hey Callie, I'm totally in ^^. Autumn sky's too good to be wasted. Yay, so excited! Sunday 5:15, Anhalter Bahnhof - where exactly? Or how can I recognize you guys?

Oh and could anyone tell me where I can get lenses and equipments, apart from Saturn or MediaMarkt? Can you actually recommend ebay, 'cause I don't mind second-hand stuff but am not sure enough about purchasing it without testing.

Really look forward to meeting you

Ly

Excellent Unilynth looking forward to meeting you! I think we'll be easy to spot, just look for people with camera tripods! I'll be there around 17:10 so will get set up and take some pics of Anhalter Bahnhof for starters, so will see you somewhere on the front of there.

For lenses and equipment I'd recommend Calumet, their prices are very good compared to Saturn and Media Markt and its a good profi store with staff that really know what they're talking about. They have a store in Berlin on Lützowstrasse 37, Tiergarten area, and a website so you can check prices of stuff http://www.calumetphoto.de/ As for ebay, yes I've had some great buys from there, fortunately I never had trouble with anything so never had to resort to trying to get refunds. I've really always found people quite honest and if they give a good description of what you're buying and have a good feedback then I find it ok. Rose will tell you better about ebay though, she has far more experience with them! Only thing I am careful with, I've seen (and sold) stuff for prices only slightly cheaper than you could buy in the stores if you shop around, so it makes no sense getting second hand without a warranty then.

Rose just saw your pics from Stahnsdorf, very nice! Did you make it there yesterday? Weather was not so good but yeah the colours are perfect right now.

I was around Potsdamer Platz area last night trying to take shots inbetween the xmas market being set up there :rolleyes: I'll be doing lots of night shoots around the more touristy areas of the city in the coming weeks if anyone else wants to join, I want to renew all the old night stuff on my website and just got a nice new agency contract offer so want new stuff for them too, but needs to be touristy site shots :D .

Seattle101 - nope, not yet, just because of some of the "getting people to sign releases" stuff that's involved. If it doesn't bother you, you could try posting here in the models wanted (make sure you state what kind of model and what kind of photography) and you could even try some of the Berlin flickr groups (and/or craigslist/kijiji.com).

Hey thanks for the info...

Didn't make it to Stahnsdorf - wound up not being able to leave early that day. Left early yesterday, but wound up with several other things to do. STILL NO HOME INTERNET/PHONE. mad.gif Trying to stay in touch with what I can from work. Company still owes me 3.5 hours, so might try to go early tonight and early Friday - (been going in at 8am to get some extra time on the net).

Re eBay - I've bought almost everything off eBay and have been quite pleased. The only thing that I ever had a problem with camera wise was a flash - and that was just defective. No problems returning or getting a refund. As always, check the seller, and what's being offered. Buying "used" lenses and filters and stuff I don't mind. The Camera body itself / maybe the actual electronic stuff - well, that I would do my homework before I bought and ask a lot of questions. Remember - if it looks too good to be true, it probabally is.

About Light Painting, techniques are not that complicated and with digital it should be very easy.

A tutorial here:

And some samples on what is possible:

I will try to pick up a cheap torch at the flea market sunday and do some film test. :P

Callie and Rose, thanks for the advice, it really helps. I think I'm gonna check out the prices in Calumet first. About this evening, so sorry but I can't be there. Got a bad cold and am not sure I can get out today. Was so excited, sigh. Enjoy yourselves ^^!