Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TT Berlin Photography club photo meet up

915 posts in this topic

ahh for those of you who didn't go - Goerlitz is lovely, and the food just across the polish border at the restaurant you recommended, Callie - well worth the trip. I think The 8am train is actually the better one - just because you have more time to explore the TWO cities. The later trains to make the 1744 train (sunset is around then) just don't give you enough time (about 2 hours per city minus getting lost, photo ops, and lunch is more like 1 hour) to explore and see the sites.

This weekend is the puppet parade thing I mentioned earlier, and also - for those of you who know I live in Teltow, the annual Teltow "Harvest" festival. It's the only thing going on (EVER) in Teltow - and because I live 3 blocks away - if anyone wants to go, You'd be welcome. I'd be happy to give you a tour of the "old town" (the party is in the newer section) and some of the highlights of the area - including the "remnants of the wall". It's walkable but I'd suggest a bike (we can lock it up at my apartment where it's a bit safer and walk to the festival).

My suggestion for that would be either Friday night (they have a Rolling stones impersonator & AC/DC tribute bands playing) or Sunday - when they have pop/jazz stuff going on. That being said, the festival is also running Saturday, but they have all country music... (and I'm figuring on the giant puppet parade in Berlin that day).

Hello. My name is Justin, I am here from DC/NYC. Photographer, and interested in doing some shoots with others. I think you had a posting a while back about Beelitz-? I am very interested in going and spending a full day taking pictures. I went down there last week alone, and if no one has been, it's very creepy. I went into one small building, but couldn't get myself go to into the others by myself. If there are others that want to go, PLEASE let me know. If you haven't seen pictures, it's amazing. I took a flip cam as well and it was a lot of fun to get some video as well.

I have been making pictures for about 10 years off and on, but have gotten more focused over the last couple of years. I shoot Canon (for anyone interested), and have some light lighting equipment here as well that I would love to get some time with as well (off camera/remote flash, soft box for flash, reflectors, some gels).

I am here until the 8th of October, so do have some time, but not a ton. Is anyone around/up for this this week or weekend?

Also, do you guys ever get together with other artists (make-up/models) and do shoots together? I would love to do some of that.

My site is www.justinharrisphoto.com

Regards,

Justin.

The next focused-on, a get together for Berlin creatives, is happening this Thursday 01/10 at 7:00pm at Sloppy Joe's (Elisabethkirchstr. 3) There will be BBQ (small €5.50 & large €10) available for those that don't like beer without meat.

post-2021-12541545491135_thumb.jpg

Great! Are there details yet for time/place? I would like to spend a good solid day down there, if you all are up for that-? For clarification, it would be myself and at the most 2 other people. sorry about that vague reference. I'm going to buy me some crazy combat boots tomorrow. 'needleproof'!

How many people are in this excursion so far? Has anyone from the group been before and know which buildings are the 'good' ones?

Happy to research if needed.

J.

I've been to Beelitz before and would really like to go back and spend more time (and use a tripod this time for the darker hallways). We did it before as a group and we could get a laender ticket which covers the Brandenburg region for up to 5 people for the day (someone correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't actually bought one, just joined the group). Or we can use a Happy Weekend Ticket for up to 5, but I think we would be limited to slow trains. I am free this weekend and several weekdays next week if others are. Yes, boots are recommended, the last time I went with sandals and shorts. Cuz I roll like dat.

Some of my Beelitz shots from our last outing in case you want to have a look:

http://berlinphotographer.net/beelitzslideshow.aspx

db

Dunkin' are you available to go this Saturday with the others? Waiting on details, but I am a definite for Saturday. J.

I've been before as well - and would recommend a couple things for beelitz -

a) good boots (lots of glass, wonky uneven floors, and debris inside.)

B) gloves (you may not want to touch things.)

c) Flashlight (s) (there are some very very dark places that require this - because of holes in the floor that you can't see... also helps with illuminating objects properly.)

d) face mask (this was a turbulosis hospital and these buildings are rotting - so there's lots of mold, dust, asbestos floating around that you maybe don't want to breathe in)

e) Tripod

I will note that it's supposed to rain all weekend - and the last time I was there - the surgery rooms had been destroyed (they used to be the neatest ones to go into), and someone had hacked away at several of the pillars that supported ceilings to get at the old subway tiles - it means that the rooms are even more "unstable" than they were 2 weeks prior. Mostly this was because there was a tv program about it in between. Stupid vandals.

What time are you thinking to go? Do you really want to go in the rain?

Dunkin' are you available to go this Saturday with the others? Waiting on details, but I am a definite for Saturday. J.

I would like to go, but which others are you referring to? I think the others are talking about light festivals and harvest festivals and such.

d) face mask (this was a turbulosis hospital and these buildings are rotting - so there's lots of mold, dust, asbestos floating around that you maybe don't want to breathe in)

I think the face mask bit is a bit paranoid, but it gives me a great idea for portraits: surgical masks on scantily clad babes in the eerie Beelitz hallways and rooms. If we can't scare up any scantily clad babes, we can each try on a mask and make with the crazy eyes. Y'know, like in 'Hostel.'

Add names to the list for Saturday to Beelitz:

Craig

Justin

?

db

Hi. I'm a strong "maybe". Last time we went, I only had my point-n'-shoot. I would like to try again. I'm concerned about rain or more precisely, overcast skies. The dramatic photos all have a strong natural light coming through windows, doors, assorted openings.

Paul

Re d) Yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid for the TB thing - but the mold/mildew/dust/etc that I don't know what's in it - there were a couple places last time (Climbing around in one of the basements and in one of the buildings where the ceiling had collapsed and the entire place smelled like mold/mildew and you could SEE the crap in the air) that I wished I'd have had one.

My friend that would be modeling for me, not actually taking pictures would be my only addition. that would be Ve.

Re d) Yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid for the TB thing - but the mold/mildew/dust/etc that I don't know what's in it - there were a couple places last time (Climbing around in one of the basements and in one of the buildings where the ceiling had collapsed and the entire place smelled like mold/mildew and you could SEE the crap in the air) that I wished I'd have had one.

No risks = no rewards. Besides, TB germs can't live 100 years on a cold plate. Or in a damp, dusty dump. You are much more likely to get lung disease from a pub (die raucher).

db

Hi. I'm a strong "maybe". Last time we went, I only had my point-n'-shoot. I would like to try again. I'm concerned about rain or more precisely, overcast skies. The dramatic photos all have a strong natural light coming through windows, doors, assorted openings.

Paul

Overcast skies will cut the overall light by 1 - 2 f/stops. Since I plan to use a tripod this time, that will not be a problem. Also, strong sun entering the windows is more often a problem than a dramatic lighting situation. Dark shadow exposures can be blasted out of range with a few bright squares in the middle of a room. Overcast skies are more of a studio softbox for even lighting. Don't fear the clouds. However, outright rain would be a no go for me as I don't want the roof to cave in on my head. That place is about a year away from being completely ruined. Maybe a combination of the elements and the vandals, or the youth storming through the place on motorbikes. We're lucky to get to go there at all. In the 'free country' I'm from, such sites would be verboten and guarded heavily.

PS: Paul, leave the point and shoot and bring your real camera and a tripod. And boots. And a surgical mask. I'm thinking of you as a 'Hostel' doctor portrait subject. Whaddaya think? And bring a scantily clad babe with a surgical mask as well. ;)

db

for those not interested in going to Beelitz today, the giant marionettes are on parade between the Brandenburg gate (Parisier Platz) over toward the bridge near HBF where they will load onto a ship (Alt Moabit) starting at about 2pm today. Full map below:

http://www.riesen-in-berlin.de/en/the-giants-arrive/route-4-oct.html

Sky looks a bit dodgy today. If it doesn't look a bit clearer by noon I'll have to skip Beelitz. That place wouldn't be very hospitable (ouch) with water all over the floors.

db

p.s. went to the Giants yesterday and got a few shots. Will post soon.

Weather.com saying 20% chance of rain (and therefore I would assume more cloud cover) going to 10% for the rest of the day starting at about 2. I am in for sure and will be on the platform as planned. See you all there! Looking forward to it. Justin.

Hey Justin - sorry I missed everyone yesterday. Got Delayed at Brunch and then wound up late for the train. Hope LOLO met up with everyone and did the big Beelitz tour.

Wound up seeing the puppets instead, then hanging around. Got some nice twilight and night shots of the city - and wound up SOAKED in the rain. Luckily the camera stayed dry.

Sander - can you tell us a bit more specifically what you're looking for? I'm sure one of us can accomodate you!