Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TT Berlin Photography club photo meet up

915 posts in this topic

yep - and there's still the list on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/_toytowngermany_com_berlin_photo_meet/discuss/72157616436093802/

we could consider too.

Not sure whether you guys know about this place Niederfinow. The Niederfinow boat lift is the oldest extant boat lift in Germany. It lies on the Oder-Havel-Kanal near Niederfinow in Brandenburg. The lift overcomes a difference in elevation of 36m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederfinow_boat_lift

thanks Asamlaksa, never been yet but we are aware of it, its actually on our list of places to do that Rose posted above! I've been along a section of the Finow canal, but not not made this yet. I think this may be do-able at the same time as Kloster Chorin but with bikes.

Forecast on wetter.de and weather.com now looking good for the weekend but shite after that, so lets get out and make the most of it just in case. I'd like to do a trip out, the stuff around Berlin can be done easily in autumn/winter when days are shorter. I'm happy to do a Polish border town for pieroggi so long as it good for taking photos too, I can eat pieroggi when its dull and wet!!

So, who's around? Any opinions on destination, the ones already mentioned or off Rose's list?

How about Görlitz-Zgorzelec? This looks pretty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6rlitz

I am not sure how long the train journey will take. Maybe the train schedule expert can check? From what I understand, we can get there either via Dresden (train leaves hourly from Dresden) or via Cottbus (using the ODEG line). The latter is probably more interesting as it should travel along the border. And I believe the Länder/Wochenende Karte can be used on both.

Jade

Are we thinking saturday or sunday? For me, Sunday would be better - (and it's election day so... I think most germans won't be travelling if they have to vote...) Also - the lovely state department (US) has us on high alert for those of us in germany :-P you know... pesky terrorists and all that.

If we decide on Görlitz, it will have to be Saturday for me. Can you make it on Saturday, please? From the website, it looks like a relatively large city (and we'll be wandering around TWO cities this time).

Jade

I'd love to go to Goerlitz :D

Train expert, that would be DB - or maybe not considering the S-bahn chaos <_< .

Goerlitz is 3:12 with a change in Cottbus. Either 8:03 or 10:03 going out of Berlin west to east, so picks up at Zoo but Rose you'd need to get into Hbf or Friedrichstr. 10:03 would be my choice, gets in at 13:15.

Theres a return at 17:44 or 19:44, so would prob give us enough time if we took the 10:03 out in the mroning.

Jade I'm guessing Sunday will be out for you with this distance, for getting back to work?

And yeah, Germany is all on high terror alert, there's been more police around at main stations these past few days. Will probably just get worse after the elections

k so I re-arranged the schedule a bit so we can go on Saturday to

Gorlitz...

looks like the trains from Berlin HBF are

Depart 8:03 am track 12 - train RE 38135 ; switching in cottbus to oe 82625 ; track 5 - 10:03. Arrive Gorlitz at 11:15 AM.

Also goes through Fredrichstr -08:06 am track 1 - depending on where we want to meet.

The next train would be 10:03 am, arriving at 13:15pm.

Very early morning - this doesn't go through the south - but instead goes through Ostbahnhof...then to cottbus.

LOL Callie beat me... I'd prefer the 10:03 am one as well... that 8:03 would be the death of me.

I may need to bring the dog - either way - just looking time wise - because it's a long time to go (or not go). So, I'd say decide on times - then I'll price out doggie ticket.

great lets say saturday then at 10:03 from Hbf - although we'll get on at Friedrichstrasse at 10:06.

I just noticed the trains back go a different route into Berlin - Lichtenberg > Gesundbrunnen > Spandau. Gesundbrunnen is good for us, ok for you too Jade I guess, but not so great for you Rose? It does stop at Königs Wusterhausen if thats any easier?

The choice for coming back is:

17:44 arrive Gesundbrunnen at 20:54

19:44 arrive Gesundbrunnen at 23:01

first one may be ok, still gives us 5 hours there - looks like lots to see in Goerlitz but not so much on the Polish side.

So far then:

Rose and maybe dog

Jade

Serenissima

Callie

I believe we are talking about the RE2 (departs Zoo at 9.58am) to Cottbus, so I will board at Zoo Garten. For the return journey, anywhere on the ring is fine with me.

So far, the forecast is for splendid weather on Saturday.

Jade

just printed off the stadtplan from the tourist offices website and some other stuff - their recommendation for Polish food in Zgorzelec is Dreiradenmühle, an ancient mill on the Polish end of Altstadtbrücke with a patio overlooking the river, should be good for the pieroggi!

We'll only have about 6 minutes change at Friedrichstrasse in the morning, could someone else get the ticket?

I would be up for a trip this weekend. I would favor Saturday so I can get my Elvis freak on at the Sunday Bear Pit Yokee (weather permitting and whether or not they decide to do it).

db

thanks, and yes it is the Schöneswochenende Ticket. ok see you on the train - very much looking forward to pieroggi too!

Db great if you can join us, details as above, but if you want to join the train at Ostbahnhof you can - 10:13 platform 2 (this train)

which will make 5 on the ticket, so if anyone else is joining shout up so we get another ticket.

checked it already - replied first thing. I'm still game to go - though would need the 1744 train back. Dog's not going.