General central heating questions

116 posts in this topic

I have just moved to Germany and have not had central heating before. I thought that I would be warm and toasty inside my apartment but I'm freezing, even with all 3 heaters turned to 5 on the dial. My apartment has wooden floors which might account for some of the cold but is it normal to still be cold inside with heaters turned to their max? I am wearing many, many layers btw so it isn't just that I am in summer clothing.

Did you close the window? ;)

How much heat are the radiators kicking out and do you hear any gurgling? It might be you need to bleed the radiators to let the air out.

Are your radiators actually hot? The heating could be on a timer, switching off during the middle of the day. ?? ;)

lol, yes the windows are closed! no sounds coming from any of the heaters. the small one in the kitchen seems to be putting out more hot air than the big one in the living area though if I put my hand above it.

I second checking if you need to bleed the radiators. That being said, all of ours are in working condition, cranked to 5, in-floor heating on, heaters turn off automatically at night, but it never gets above 17 degrees in here. I wonder if it's just the placement of the heaters? Or more likely the layout of our place with a stairwell covering three stories right in the freaking middle of our house... (It's probably the staircase)

Are you sure it is not full of air? There should be key for heating somewhere around (you can use other tool as well). On the side of the radiator there should be small thingie you can turn and air gets out. You have to keep an eye on it while doing that, so the water doesn't start run out as well. It is hot water and dirty as well, you would burn yourself.

Good luck, it can be done even by me, so it is easy.

Oh, also it is possible that you touch it at times when it is timed to be off. Usually during the daytime some of the houses have it set like that, so it is not heating when nobody is in (in theory)

This may sound patronising but I've come across people from other countries who have do idea about radiators as it seems they are not universal.

Do you know what a radiator key is and how to bleed them? A lot of rented buildings seem to have radiators than never get bled. It's a small key which fits into the end of the radiator. You turn it until you hear a hiss. Keep holding it as HOT water is going to come out and you need to close the valve pronto. You MUST hold the key with a cloth or something as you're going to get hot black water coming out.

Hot air??? So, you don't have radiators then? And if you do, do they feel warm to the touch? Also, since I'm also sitting in a lovely Altbau in Kreuzberg, could it be that your central heating works in a circular system? For example, the hot water flows through the pipes from the gas heater to the radiators in the living room then into the next room that happens to be my studio and from there into our bedroom. We have a digital dial/timer in the living room. If we turn the heat off there, there is no hot water getting through to the other rooms either. Sucks at times, but is mostly fine. We tend to really just heat the living room. I prefer sleeping in a cool room under a mountain of blankets and I put warm sweater on when I'm working.

and if you need to buy a key then go to SuckFüll at Türkenstrasse 31 if you are in Munich

No offence taken. I have never lived anywhere where I needed a radiator so haven't got a clue about it. I don't think I'll try and 'bleed' the radiator myself as it sounds a bit scary! I will ask the person I'm renting off on Thursday when they come around with a handman to fix something else.

or you can buy in a hardware shop like Obi an bleeding key that auto collects the water for you. The higher up in the building you are generally the more often you will need to bleed. it is dead simple really.

post-11459-1231253941.jpg

This might help

Never realised you were supposed to switch the circulation off first but in rented buildings I've done this in before I wouldn't even know how to switch the whole system off.

Who knew? Thanks Deccie. That's usefull info for me, too.

you will also need to bleed all your radiators at least once a year when the heating comes on.

The next question is what's the German for radiator key.

I've forgotten actually.