New to Hohenfels (working at USAG Hohenfels)

23 posts in this topic

I am in the early stages of interviewing for a position at Hohenfels with General Dynamics. Yes, it's a TESA position. From what I'm reading, Regensburg sounds like the closest city of any size to the base? Obviously, if it works out that I am offered and accept the job I will work with someone in my company for housing, etc, but just wanted to get a feel for how folks at Hohenfels feel about the area. Thanks.

Hi bdgfn,

welcome to Toytown and good luck with your job.

You will need a car to get around. The next train station is in Parsberg, a small town approx. 15-20 min. driving time away. In Parsberg you will find 5 supermarkets, drug store, a few smaller shops, butchers, bakeries etc. There is also a large furniture store that has decent prices and is a bit similar to IKEA. If you like night life, there isn't too much too choose from. A few bars and restaurants. Parsberg also has a gym and an outdoor/indoor public pool.

The next larger city would be Neumarkt, similar offers then Parsberg, but on a way larger level. To get there you have to leave Hohenfels towards Parsberg. Before you get into the center of it you will see the Highway signs where you can either go towards Nuernberg (to Neumarkt) or towards Regensburg. Driving time to Neumarkt is approx. 30-40 min.

Regensburg is the largest close city and takes approx. 45 min. to reach. If you are new to the area and don't feel comfortable taking a car into Regensburg, take the train from Parsberg to Regensburg. A day ticket for up to 5 people will cost you 12 Euros Mon - Sat and 9 Euros Sundays and Holidays. You can use that ticket all day and also use it for the buses in Regensburg if you go to areas that are not walkable. The trainstation in Regensburg has a big mall (the Arcaden)including a huge grocery store in the basement area (Kaufland). When you leave the train station the center of town with all the old buildings and other stores are easy to walk to.

Hohenfels itself (the village outside of the military area) has nothing to do and it is pretty isolated.

Hope that info helps!