New to Hohenfels (working at USAG Hohenfels)

23 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm new to Hohenfels but not Regensburg. I've lived in Stuttgart and Kaiserslautern before, with a brief 4 year pit stop in Japan. I also use to date a lovely German girl who is from this area so I know it a little about the bigger cities like Deggendorg and Amberg. Can anyone recommend any nice places to meet young Bavarians around my area? I'm a relatively young guy so I'm looking for nice nightlife, good coffee shops where college age to late 20-something people hang out, and maybe some shopping. I realize this isn't Berlin or Munich, but the few times I've spent here in the past have been great. The locals took me to all kinds of places around Regensburg and Deggendorf. I know there's a lot going on here.

Thanks

Deggendorf's a bit far away, isn't it? I think your best bet in the general vicinity is Regensburg.

Why would it take an hour? Hohenfels is barely 30 km from Regensburg, isn't it? :unsure:

Generally speaking, there are loads of nightlife places in the historic downtown area. With more than 20,000 university students, there really is no shortage of young people interested in partying.

As for shopping, there is a huge shopping mall called "DEZ" north of the river (with ample parking). There is a smaller mall attached to the main train station, plus there are all sorts of shops in the historic downtown area.

Working in Hohenfels, not living there. But awesome, thanks!

directions to DDorf

Guess you're not driving fast enough pops ;)

I know there are a few uni's there but there didn't seem to be hubs or popular social places where all the students like to hang out. I know Munich has a few.

Most likely will live in Regensburg. I'd like to hang out in Deggendorf sure.

I'm not quite sure why you are so interested in Deggendorf. Compared to Regensburg, it is quite a small town. So unless you have friends there, there is really no reason to go to Deggendorf at all (in my posts above, I was always referring to Regensburg, not Deggendorf).

So in your opinion, Deggendorf is pretty lame? I've been to a few beer fests there where the locals where great, and there's even a pretty big club right outside the city. Can't remember what it's called though...Mostly techno and hip hop.

I'm sure there's also stuff to do in Deggendorf. All I am saying is that Regensburg is a much bigger place, and has a much bigger population of college students.

The biggest "beerfest" in the area is the Gäubodenvolksfest in Straubing in mid-August. That's halfway between Regensburg and Deggendorf.

I work at Hohenfels and live in Amberg. Why not Regensburg? So much stuff has shifted to Graf in the four years since I started here that I think eventually my job will, too, and Amberg is right between the two. If you are quite sure 90%+ of your non-TDY work will be at Hohenfels, Regensburg is a good choice. Deggendorf is a bit far afield after a good snowstorm, even on A3.

You have probably figured out that there is practically nothing going on at or within 10km of post. Velburg and Parsberg occasionally have little fests, as well as grocery stores that will be open when it's time to go home in the evening/morning during a rotation. Best refrigerated, heat-and-eat meals: Rewe in Parsberg. Note that the fast food on post is only open from 0700-1900 (but you shouldn't eat that too often anyway, right?). The Shoppette, compared to bigger posts, also has limited hours: it closes at 2100 on weeknights, 2300 on Fri and Sat. I'm used to it, since this is the first military base I've ever worked on, but some of the others complain about the opening hours of everything.

Good luck, and I'm sure I'll run into you in the DFACs - Hohenfels, you may have noticed, is a tiny place.

I worked in Hohenfels only for 6 months (August 2001- February 2002), then I transferred to Grafenwoehr. I used to live in Velburg-Lengenfeld, just right off the A3 (Velburg exit). Used to have a house doctor in Deining, and I did my large shopping in Neumarkt i.d. OPf. Did a bit of quick grocery shopping (Netto) in Velburg proper. Went to Regensburg-Barbing to IKEA alot. I still remember the area very well. The area itself is a bit isolated, but you will get used to it. (Hörmannsdorf, Seubersdorf i.d. OPf., Parsberg, Reichertswinn, Kirchenwinn, Deusmauer, Raitenbach, Beratzhausen, Großbissendorf, etc.) Those were the good ol' days.

Hey flint,

I also just started working at Hohenfels and am living in Rudolfshoehe. I've been down to Regensburg a few times now, and there is an abundance of women, food, and shopping. I don't have a whole lot to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say hey.

I know it a little about the bigger cities like Deggendorg and Amberg.

Just for reference:

Amberg population 45,000

Deggendorf population 32,000

Regensburg population 150,000

Nürnberg population 500,000 (urban area 1.4 million)

München population 1.3 million (urban area 2.5 million)

Amberg and Deggendorf certainly have their charms, but they are small town charms. :)

Cheers!