Life in the Moabit area of Berlin

40 posts in this topic

I think you're right Kanadish, I didn't actually look up what it was about, just saw the signs and seemed like a nice promotional tool for something.

http://doa21.biz/moabit/

My boyfriend also was a little hesitant on the area, him being German and knowing it's a 'problem' area. I haven't really seen any problems unless they are referring to high unemployment rates and immigrant community, but can't that refer to Berlin as a whole? :)

i lived in moabit for the first five months i was here, and i would never recommend it to someone just moving to berlin. of course, it depends on who you live with and what your apartment is like, but there really isn't much going on there. other than cheap falafel and easy access to tiergarten, i would have liked to be able to go out in my own neighborhood-- i spent a lot of time commuting to friends in more lively neighborhoods, and spent a lot of late nights getting home again.

I live on Jagowstrasse and I loooove my neighborhood. Of course - comparing Elberfelder Kiez with Prenzlauer Berg is like apples and oranges. No, we here have a different type of people and I do agree that I would not recommend starting your living in Berlin at Turmstrasse.

r

Anyhow, the people are great, authentical and multicultural - I would not want to trade them to the much more sofisticated folks from Prenzlauer Berg, who usually have a whole different idea of living in Berlin.

Berlin is fast, tolerant and great place for people who enjoy being and living a liberal way of life. A place which becomes more and more attractive and enhances in livestyle and urban culture. Moabit is totally on the rise.

Moabit is Beste is in fact a great group of people who initiate a lot of activities and make this kiez a better place. You may want to check them out on facebook: www.facebook.com/moabitistbeste

Welcome to Moabit! The place to be!

I've lived in Moabit for the past year (in the Birkenstrasse area) and I think it's definitely worth considering. As others have said, there isn't much going on here in terms of nightlife, but it's easy enough to get to Prenzlauerberg (3 stops on the ring) or other areas that have more going on if you want to go out. The neighborhood definitely has a very Turkish bent, but it doesn't seem "ghetto" like Wedding, there are lots of beautiful altbau buildings (I'm living in a gorgeous and huge renovated flat in one of them and I think it's a steal) and it's a generally quiet area. Before this I lived near Schönhauser Allee and then in Kreuzberg near Schlesiches Tor, and although I do miss those places in terms of restaurants/bars/general activity going on, I also think it can be a lot more relaxing to be able to come home from the party areas to someplace a bit quieter, and it only gets annoying when I'm too lazy to take transportation anywhere and just want to walk out the door and have a huge selection of nice restaurants to choose from (we don't have that here--a couple nice restaurants but mostly döner and köfte places). I feel as safe walking around here at all hours of the night as I did anywhere else in Berlin. Also, the neighborhood is slowly but surely changing...although a lot of the streets are filled with automaten casios, there have been about 5 new galleries opened in the surrounding streets in the past months, and the new Edeka center means there is a shiny new megamart option for shopping, which is a huge improvement over the grotty stores on turmstrasse (though the turkish supermarkets there are great for cheap fruits and veg and lots of other stuff). Also, I'm noticing a lot more students in the area recently (commuting with me), so things may be picking up a bit in terms of atmosphere, but it can also be nice to escape from the droves of cooler-than-thou hipster types filling up Kreuzberg etc (people in Moabit seem a little more "real"). And it really is close to a lot of things...my running routes take me from my flat to the river in front of the kanzleramt and/or hauptbahnhof/invalidenstrasse area and tiergarten, which seems worlds away in terms of the feel of the area but is easily reached on foot...and I have no qualms about running there at midnight even (lots of security lol).

I live in the southern section of Moabit, near the tiergarten and schloss Bellevue and I absolutely love it here! Its clean, has lots of parks and open space and being near Hauptbahnhof and S-Bellevue allows me to head east or west and arrive at my destination in a matter of minutes. I believe the northern part of Moabit has quite a few Turkish immigrants; however, the southern part seems to be more upper/middle-class Germans. Especially the closer you get to the Spree/Tiergarten. It also seems that the prices get higher as you near the Spree.

If you are a family looking for a nice place to live, with good shopping and great transportation to take you to almost every part of berlin, then the southern part of Moabit is ideal, but prices are rising fast in that area.

If you are a single person, looking for nightlife, clubs or bars.. well, there are not too many in Moabit; however, the great transportation in this area will get you to where you need to go within a few minutes, plus you have the added bonus of the Spree and Tiergarten nearby. I see many students jogging or riding their bikes in the Tiergarten.

Hi Moabiters and other TT members

I have just bought a place in Moabit and will be moving there in about a month. Currently i live in Braunschweig but am looking forward to moving there. I have 2 kids and hopefully we will have a great new life there. I have visited the area several times, and yes it is not the best location in town, but as we are coming from Braunschweig, there will be plenty of action for our family.

Moabit ist die beste...

Ed

Hoping for a small thread revival here:

We're looking at a very nice flat around Gotzkowskystr.at Gotzkowskybrueke and wonder if anyone has any opinions on that particular corner of the neighborhood. The location is great for us but i want to know specifically about safety walking at night (i have a dog that i walk at night). I'm not concerned about nightlife, etc. We have lived in Neukoelln for the past 2 years...around karl-marx-platz...and haven't had any problems despite dire warnings from colleagues when we moveed here. I'm not overly concerned but once again my german friends are behaving as if i'm suggesting a move to East St. Louis/South Philly/Beirut so i thought i'd check to be sure. Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks.

I know a couple of people live along there.

It's not an area I find unsafe at night (further along, Beusselstrasse has a bad reputation, but not Gotzkowskystrasse).

However, if right near the intersection, and if noise bothers you, then you should be aware that it is the main intersection used by emergency vehicles such as ambulances, that go through, sirens blaring.

Their preferred route seems to be along Kaiserin Augusta Allee and then along Alt Moabit (easiest way for ambulances to get to the Virchow hospital from that side of town, I suspect), and there is a fire station about one or two streets away (Jagowstrasse), so the fire engines are setting out from close by.

I have lived about four hundred meters from there (Wullenweberstr). It is perfectly safe. The parts of Moabit around and west of Beusselstr. are grittier, but not bad at all. All of the area south of Alt-Moabit and east of Gotzkowskystr (the so-called Rheinisch-Westfälische Viertel) is extremely safe and solidly middle-class. If you walk there you'd feel like you were in any nice safe West Berlin neighborhood.

I love Moabit but most Berliners think it's cancer when in reality its much nicer and feels much safer than the neighborhoods they like to call home. It's 95% ignorance. To them Moabit = prison, and that's it.

Awesome...just the info i was looking for. The sirens sound a bit daunting, true, but nothing unbearable. Thanks for the quick responses as well

Hello, I just wanted to resurrect this thread for an update on living in Moabit.

I'm thinking of maybe moving to Jagowstr, roughly near where it crosses Levetzowstr - what's it like? anything changed since the last post that I should take into consideration?

Any info on living in this area much appreciated!

I suspect this topic is not very lively, but in case anyone is still following and lives in that location, how is the following area in Moabit?: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5316353,13.3271735,18z

Beusselkiez can be a bit rough, but actually like much of Moabit its reputation is much worse than the reality. Having said that, I haven't lived there for several years and things change.

Thank you john_b! :) I hope that someone who now lives there would also pitch in with their view.

I live a bit further east (birkenstr. area) and have for almost 5 years now.  I'm female and pretty small but I walk around by myself and even go running in my neighborhood at all hours of the day and night and have never felt unsafe.  Moabit has also started to get a lot more nice bars/restaurants/cafes etc. in the past year or so (and the Arminius Markthalle has the best bbq in the city, plus lots of other nice stuff).  I'm loving Moabit more than ever these days, although rent prices have apparently also gone up quite a bit recently too.

Hello!

First of all, sorry for bumping an old topic.

My wife and I are expecting a kid, and might buy a flat in Moabit (specifically Stendaler Str. in Stephan Kiez). I read of course all the posts, but the last one is from 2015, so I would like to check if things changed for better or worse. We have only visited the area once (when we saw the place) and it looked decent to us, it was not like Wedding or Neukölln (which we kind of expected it to be). But obviously, you need to spend more time to understand how the Kiez is really like.

We are living for the last 4 years in Friedrichschain, which we love, especially for the international food, bars, clubs, however, with the kid the priorities are changing, so no clubs, and less bars is OK with me/us , as long as there are still some good places to grab drink, coffee, and eat good food from all around the world. It also seemed safe, and with less weird people, broken glasses and dog poop than F-hain :)

If someone has a recent experience with northern Moabit area, I would very much appreciate a brief update .

If you’re thinking of buying a place, go back a d spend a significant amount of time there. You don’t want to regret such a big purchase. Go there in the day and at night and see how comfy you feel. 

While we haven’t bought anything, we recently moved into a new apartment, where we plan to stay until our daughter is older (not in Moabit),

and we made sure to come back a few times to scope out the area. I also made sure to ask a friend who grew up in the neighborhood where it would be okay for us as brown people to

move in, but nothing beats personal feeling/instinct!

congrats on the pregnancy! 

5 hours ago, Santitas said:

If you’re thinking of buying a place, go back a d spend a significant amount of time there. You don’t want to regret such a big purchase. Go there in the day and at night and see how comfy you feel. 

While we haven’t bought anything, we recently moved into a new apartment, where we plan to stay until our daughter is older (not in Moabit),

and we made sure to come back a few times to scope out the area. I also made sure to ask a friend who grew up in the neighborhood where it would be okay for us as brown people to

move in, but nothing beats personal feeling/instinct!

congrats on the pregnancy! 

Hi Santitas!

Thank you for your input and wishes !

While the current state of the area is of course important, I am more curious about opinions of people who lived there for a year or more in the past few years. That is because I would like to know if the tendency of the area is that it is getting worse or better with time. We will definitely visit the area if our offer is accepted and before we sign anything, but that will not tell us whether it's nicer than it was several years ago. We are looking at this also as an investment , as we may not spend our whole life there ;) Our personal opinion from what I read here (+ some other places on Internet) and our visit there, is that Moabit has a potential.

We have friends with 2 small children (8 & 2) who have been living in Moabit since 2013 and they love it. However, the schools are apparently not that great, so they say. Their son was in the local school for a year but it didn't go well, it was hard to make friends and there was a lot of absenteeism among the staff, and the general feeling that education was not valued as much by other parents in the school and therefore it was not an ideal learning environment for their son. They did not outwardly say this but they hinted that they felt they were culturally very different from the traditional demographic fabric of Moabit (ie they are White upper middle class Germans, and there are a lot of non-white working class immigrants in Moabit) and this probably influenced their decision to take their kid out and put him in a nearby Catholic school, which they are very happy with. Congrats and good luck!

50 minutes ago, Brockman said:

We have friends with 2 small children (8 & 2) who have been living in Moabit since 2013 and they love it. However, the schools are apparently not that great, so they say. Their son was in the local school for a year but it didn't go well, it was hard to make friends and there was a lot of absenteeism among the staff, and the general feeling that education was not valued as much by other parents in the school and therefore it was not an ideal learning environment for their son. They did not outwardly say this but they hinted that they felt they were culturally very different from the traditional demographic fabric of Moabit (ie they are White upper middle class Germans, and there are a lot of non-white working class immigrants in Moabit) and this probably influenced their decision to take their kid out and put him in a nearby Catholic school, which they are very happy with. Congrats and good luck!

Hey, thank you so much for the insights from your friends! We will certainly take this into consideration.

All the best!