Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Latest nutty proposal from a SPD politician

13 posts in this topic

http://de.news.yahoo.com/2/20081222/tde-sc...ei-a4484c6.html

Nach seinen Vorstellungen sollen Wolhhabende mit einem Geld- und Immobilienvermögen von mehr als 750.000 Euro dem Staat zwei Prozent ihres Vermögens für 15 Jahre zu einem Zinssatz von maximal 2,5 Prozent leihen müssen.

Basically, he is proposing that the government force people who have a total worth from financial assets and real estate of 750K euros and more to loan 2% of their total worth to the government for 15 years at an interest rate of no more than 2.5%.

Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Luxembourg, Monaco and even Belgium are probably waiting with open arms...

...at an interest rate of no more than 2.5%.

If they would offer better rates for Bundesschätzbriefe maybe people would lend it to them without being cooerced...

Actually over 6 years that 2.5% is better than Bundesschätzbriefe...

I doubt this has the support of anything more than a tiny minority of SPD in the Bundestag let alone any of the other coalition parties.

If this is actually implemented, it's my ticket home because Die Frau has said we're greenlighted to move back if Germany goes nuts and starts any sort of "wealth tax" on previously-fully-taxed assets.

Basically, he is proposing that the government force people who have a total worth from financial assets and real estate of 750K euros and more to loan 2% of their total worth to the government for 15 years at an interest rate of no more than 2.5%.

It's amazing that the "loan" one is already forced to make via 50% of one's income at 0% interest forever with no return of principal just isn't cutting it. Where's all that German efficiency we've all heard so much about? :)

The likelihood of such a proposal actually being implemented is probably smaller than 1 %. It is starting to be tiring to listen to dozens of politicians making dozens of "original" proposals every week... Yawn.

anyone know what happened to the €500 vouchers? Is that still being 'considered'? The only think remarkable about the German approach to this crisis is the inept paralysis preventing the government from doing much useful at all.

Angela said she is no friend of such a proposal (or something along those lines). That's the only "government statement" I've heard on this topic during the last few weeks.

anyone know what happened to the €500 vouchers? Is that still being 'considered'? The only think remarkable about the German approach to this crisis is the inept paralysis preventing the government from doing much useful at all.

No it isn't and was never considered. That is another one of the proposals coming out of the Hesse election campaign.

Anyway... Really you rich people. That would be justification for some to move to switzerland? Great, it makes no sense, but then lets implement it, so that people who are so thight arsed leave the country... Who threatens to leave the country because then 2 percent of his assets would only bring him 2.5 percent return during a financial crisis should leave...

Of course it´s nonsense. He is just trying to win some voters back from the "Linke".

If they would offer better rates for Bundesschätzbriefe maybe people would lend it to them without being cooerced...

Actually over 6 years that 2.5% is better than Bundesschätzbriefe...

I was thinking that +2,5% is better than -100%. The (formerly) rich guy who owns ratiopharm (but not for very much longer) would probably be happy if he invested in something like that. ;)

The only think remarkable about the German approach to this crisis is the inept paralysis preventing the government from doing much useful stupid

fixed it for you ;)

I, for once, like the word for the compulsory loans: Zwangsanleihe.

Now that's the spririt of my country! Great to see it's still there after I've been out east for so long.

If somethings doesn't work, put 'Zwang' into it and make it go. Zwangsanleihe, Zwangsarbeit (forced labour), Zwangsversicherung (mandatory insurance), Zwangspfand (compulsory bottle deposit), Zwangssteuer (.. tax) and now Zwangsanleihe. Brilliant!

And for Mr Schaefer-Grumble, if that is his real name, may I suggest a Zwangsjacke (strait jacket)

I doubt this has the support of anything more than a tiny minority of SPD in the Bundestag let alone any of the other coalition parties.

Which is all very well, except that the gentleman quoted, Thorsten Schäfer-Gumbel, is standing in the state of Hessen (against Roland Koch), and the members of the Bundestag know well enough to keep their noses out of state politics. The members of the Landestag may be a little disgruntled, but Thorsten S-G is clearly courting the voters who at the last election supported Die Linke, and more power to his elbow I'd say. If it gets Roland Koch out of Hessen then I'd help him push the tumbrills.