Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Defy German authority - grow a beard

18 posts in this topic

Only in Germany could someone risk losing their job because they have a beard. In the last week there have been 2 stories in the papers about guys being told by their bosses to shave their beards off: A UPS delivery man was moved to "desk duties" after he refused, and now a U-Bahn Kontrolleur is being told to shave his off (mind you, he does look like a prat).

Lets just hope for their sake that they don't decide to mow their lawns on a sunday aswell - they'd really be in for it.

Talking about beards, I thought I had left behind the land of sandles, cords and beards...

lo and behold on the way home last night, four of themm...

NO!!!

pootle

Hey Spud, I've not heard about this U-Bahn kontrolleur being asked to have a shave. Where is it reported? In today's Abendzeitung? And which Kontrolleure is it? It's not Number 14 by any chance is it? His beard sure is ridiculous.

It's in today's Abendzeitung - the front page of the Muenchen section. Are you going to get yer scanner out and post a picture?

I can't tell if it's the same person on the MVV cam site because the face is blurred out...

Firefighters aren't allowed to grow a beard for the very practical reason that the air packs they wear won't provide a good seal over facial hair. Moustaches are okay.

As for draconian laws, a woman in the States just got fired for speaking Spanish in her English-speaking-only workplace. How many of you here would have a job still if they installed a German-speaking-only law at your company?

I just got a copy of the Abendzeitung. It is him! It's secret agent number 1-014, real name Werner W. - excellent!!! :D

Here's the picture from yesterday evening's Abendzeitung:

beard.jpg

I reckon we should start a campaign to support him. Ok, fair do's, he does look like a bit of a wanker, but full credit to him for standing up against the authorities.

If you want to send an e-mail to the U-Bahn people you could try this contact which I happen to have: Johannes Probst - Probst.Johannes@swm.de (but don't mention my name, obviously :wink: )

Reposted to the correct thread on behalf of "mr munich":

Back in the UK, I worked for a firm that had outsourced their IT group to EDS. Apparently no-one there was allowed to have a beard and had to wear black suits to work. Kinda like dressing for a funeral everyday.

SWM may think having a beard like that makes him stand out too much, and therefore be easier to spot on the U-Bahn.

He may end up having to shave it off now anyway - now he's gone and got his ugly mug printed in one of the city's most popular newspapers, not only will he stand out but everyone will know that he's a kontrolleur!

How things have changed...I quite like the trend of beards although I slightly groaned when when husband started growing his.  After much patchiness, it does suit him.  He found a trendy local barber and was amazed how much difference a proper cut and treatment made.

Any recommendations of a good grooming product range?  Nothing much in local shops so I thought I'd order something online. 

On 12/6/2016, 7:58:20, emkay said:

How things have changed...I quite like the trend of beards although I slightly groaned when when husband started growing his.  After much patchiness, it does suit him.  He found a trendy local barber and was amazed how much difference a proper cut and treatment made.

Oh dear, I take this back...my husband now resembles a wild forest dweller :blink:  He's egged on by a much younger Italian colleague who sports a chest length super slick beard. Husband does generally struggle with the 'less is more' concept.  The barbers he's been to also enthuse about his full white beard.  Of course they do...more business. 

We don't nag each other about things like appearance, weight etc but this is quite extreme now. Does anyone else not like their partner's facial hair?  

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Oh dear, I take this back...my husband now resembles a wild forest dweller :blink:  He's egged on by a much younger Italian colleague who sports a chest length super slick beard. Husband does generally struggle with the 'less is more' concept.  The barbers he's been to also enthuse about his full white beard.  Of course they do...more business. 

We don't nag each other about things like appearance, weight etc but this is quite extreme now. Does anyone else not like their partner's facial hair?  

At home their is a tug or war over my short beard..

GF likes it, daughter hates it.

Although they both find it spiky, my GF goes from it's spiky but don't shave it off.

I go my own way and shave it when it gets itchy.

I am more than a father and more than just a hunk of sexy man meat - I make my own decisions dammit.

1 minute ago, cb6dba said:

I make my own decisions dammit.

:D my husband's sentiment entirely.  Although, he gets offended when kiddo and I are reluctant to kiss him.

My subtle campaign to encourage him to go back a few stages to a nice, flattering beard length isn't helped by his mother's insults about it. As he can be quite a Sturkopf, her bluntness is more likely to result in even more wild and woolliness...he's not far off this as it is...

IMG_4363.JPG.061673754d9df4c8b7e5c2f8e86

18 minutes ago, emkay said:

...he gets offended when kiddo and I are reluctant to kiss him.

So your reaction to his beard is the opposite of this:

Yay, after weeks of gentle erosion strategy, husband went the whole hog and shaved all the fuzz off completely. He's like a new man and looks 20 years younger :D