Living in Germany, working in Switzerland

26 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've recently got a job in Basel working as a translator, however I live in Freiburg and will continue to do so, just commute every day. I would like to ask - is anyone else in this situation and could give me some advice on the finer financial details of working cross-border? I have been searching for hours on the internet, and so far have found out that I will be taxed in Germany, however a 'flat rate' of 4.5% will be taken from my gross income by Switzerland.

First of all I'd just like to know if anyone is in a similar situation!

Thanks.

I am doing that I live in Munich and work outside Zurich. You can continue to live in Germany..there are two systems that are worthing considering.

Grenzgänger: that is open to those that live very near the border. You then pay taxes back in Germany...which is not a good move.

Link to some information in Germany

Aufenthaltserlaubnis: I use this one and basically prefer this as I pay my taxes in Zurich - but live in Munich. I pay my health insurance in Germany and when I registrar I just have to bring proof that is the case. I got Status L - short term

Link to information

Regards

Clive

PS. Just rechecked your post...do not go for the first one pay your taxes in Zwitzerland. I am even living in a hotel and they register me..you will find some local Authorities (gemeinde) are stuffy about that..but it is still worth a try however you can not get a bank account for a hotel address.

Best of Luck.

I used to live in FR and work in Basel as well, but about 8 years ago, when it was not possible to be a resident of Switzerland yet. Whatever portion the Swiss take from your wages, you can apply against your German taxes. The Finanzamt in FR is well aware and versed in this.

Thanks for your replies guys, have been to the Finanzamt and it is not as complicated as I had imagined. Just trying to find a good bank now with the right rates, although it seems a lot need you to be resident in Switzerland to open a personal account. Hmmm.

I am doing that I live in Munich and work outside Zurich. You can continue to live in Germany..there are two systems that are worthing considering.

Grenzgänger: that is open to those that live very near the border. You then pay taxes back in Germany...which is not a good move.

Link to some information in Germany

Aufenthaltserlaubnis: I use this one and basically prefer this as I pay my taxes in Zurich - but live in Munich. I pay my health insurance in Germany and when I registrar I just have to bring proof that is the case. I got Status L - short term

Link to information

Regards

Clive

PS. Just rechecked your post...do not go for the first one pay your taxes in Zwitzerland. I am even living in a hotel and they register me..you will find some local Authorities (gemeinde) are stuffy about that..but it is still worth a try however you can not get a bank account for a hotel address.

Best of Luck.

Good info there. I hope to be moving to Konstanz in the next few months and have been investigating the options of working or setting up a business across the border in Kreuzlingen. I just need to weigh up the pros and cons plus hassle factor versus the tax savings of commuting cross border.

What I don't fully understand is how you can pay the tax in Switzerland if you are living in Germany? Are you not considered German resident for tax purposes (especially once you spend more than 180 days in Germany) hence you pay the taxes in Germany? Or have I got this the wrong way around? Should I actually be applying for Swiss residency (L-EC/EFTA or B-EC/EFTA) and then go live in Germany?

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi,

I recently started a job in Basel and have decided to live in Germany. I thought the cost of living difference would be beneficial but now it seems taxes in Germany are so high that this may not be the case (I am still to pay my first taxes in Germany so don't know how bad it is yet).

I am looking for someone who works in Basel and has tried both ways i.e. both lived in and commuted from a border town and has lived in Basel. My family will join me soon so the comparison should include family benefits for both situations e.g. kindergartens, schools, healthcare.Also, does elterngeld and kindergeld apply for my wife and child even if I don't work in Germany? Maybe these benefits balance out against the high taxes?

I recently started a job in Basel and have decided to live in Germany. I thought the cost of living difference would be beneficial but now it seems taxes in Germany are so high that this may not be the case (I am still to pay my first taxes in Germany so don't know how bad it is yet).

Didn't I already point that out to you in your other thread?

Any savings on rent would probably be offset by the higher taxes in Germany. Lörrach is also really small.

On the other hand even living in Basel you can do your grocery shopping in Lörrach.

Your profile lists your nationality as Iriah. Are you Irish? Iranian? Something else?

I live in an area where about 1/3 of the workers are Grenzgänger. From what I've heard anecdotally from family and friends here, it seems that if you're supporting a family on one income, you'll probably come out better living in Germany than in Switzerland. You do pay higher taxes in Germany, but the social benefits for a family, lower health insurance costs and lower cost of living can offset the higher taxes. On the other hand, if you're single or a dual-income couple with no kids (both working in CH), it might be better to move over to the Swiss side.

I was wondering if anyone here can give me some advise.

Both my wife and I are British , currently residing in the US for the last 6 months.

However I have been offered a contract role in Zurich for 6 months and a perfect way for us to move back to Europe.

Even though the contract is in Zurich, we want to live in Freiburg, Germany as it looks like a beautiful town and fairly close commute to Zurich.

My wife will NOT be working and only I will be working.

What would make financially the most sense to do?

Register as a resident in Germany for health insurance and then pay german taxes?

Or register in Switzerland as a resident and pay swiss health insurance and taxes?

Or is there a combination of the two I an do?

Thank you for your help!

Not sure what you consider a "fairly close commute", but you do realise that we're talking at least 2 hours one way, right? If your job was in Basel, it would be do-able, but Zürich, IMO, is completely unrealistic.

Hi, the.frollein and thank you for the reply. I understand it may take around 2 hours but I will stay in Zurich every other week night.

But commute apart, what would make more sense financially:

To be resident in Switzerland or Germany?

If resident in Germany:

I'd have a 'G' permit, after applying to be a Grenzgänger, pay fix 4.5% Quellensteuer to the Swiss. Would I still be paying:

Old Age and Survivors' Insurance,

Unemployment insurance,

Non-work related accident insurance,

Salary Continuation Insurance and Occupational pension fund as well?

Then also fill in a tax return to the Germans to pay their tax too, apparently as a rule of thumb around 25% in 4 bills per year. The tax paid already to the Swiss gets deducted from the German tax bill + private health insurance ( for me and my wife or is it only for me as my wife will not work?)

If resident in switzerland:

I would pay all swiss taxes apart from the health insurance but I need an address in switzerland and the L permit.

I would not pay german taxes except for german health insurance

Does that sound correct?

And which is better financially?

And which is better financially?

You actually don't have a choice. If you are living in Germany and working in Switzerland you'll be taxed and pay your social security contributions in Germany.

BTW, Konstanz is a much easier (and cheaper) commute to Zurich. Depending on your salary, you might be better off choosing a municipality in Switzerland with a low tax rate.

Thank you for the reply.

We are considering Konstanz actually as the commute would be s much easier.

However I want to make sure I have all the facts in regards to the tax burden and insurances before deciding on Germany or Switzerland.

From previous posters it sounds like GrenzGanger is not good for tax and you get more of your money as an L permit resident in Switzerland.

Hello, I am happy to have found this forum.

I am Non-EU citizent living and working in Germany since 6 years. Now, I am considering a position in Basel. I was wondering if as a non EU citizent I could also keep living, paying my taxes and having the health insurance in Germany and work in Basel. For me it will make sense since in two years I could apply for a German residency.

Thank you very much in advanced for your help.

I am Non-EU citizent living and working in Germany since 6 years. ... if as a non EU citizent I could also keep living, ... in Germany and work in Basel. For me it will make sense since in two years I could apply for a German residency.

As far as I know, unless you (as a Non-EU national) have the German residency it is not possible to stay in Germany if you are not working there. Further for the G-Permit you need to be domiciled in a border region for more than 6 months.

Source->

http://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/202746-non-eu-living-germany-permanent-permit-can-i-work-switzerland.html

This may sound more complicated than it is. I have just moved to Konstanz to complete an internship program and am exploring my options.

I am a university student and will attend the Universität Konstanz for a semester and then complete an internship, which I still need to find.

I am wondering if it possible, as an American, to be able to still live in Konstanz after my university semester and still complete my internship in Zurich?

I study biology and it seems there are far more opportunities in Switzerland than in Konstanz.

Really just trying to explore my options and see if this is even possible. If so, what permits are necessary and what would the general procedure be?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I am wondering if it possible, as an American, to be able to still live in Konstanz after my university semester and still complete my internship in Zurich?

I study biology and it seems there are far more opportunities in Switzerland than in Konstanz.

You can live in Germany for as long as your study permit is valid and as long as you are registered at the University in Konstanz, it should not be a a problem to renew it.

However, in order to work in CH you need a Swiss work permit (probably an L Permit). You might want to post your question on a Swiss forum to determine the likilihood of receiving a work permit.

You might want to post your question on a Swiss forum to determine the likilihood of receiving a work permit.

Maybe here

Hello Toytowners,

I have been living and working in Germany for last about 6 years. I am a Non-EU resident, married,no kids and I hold a German PR "Niederlassungserlabnis".

Recently I lost my job and I am now thinking to apply for job everywhere in EU including Switzerland. I have seen many opportunities in Switzerland including job and Phd around Zürich area that are relevant to my experience.

My question is will I lose my Niederlassungserlaubnis if I move to Switzerland permanently?

Which visa do I need for a job or Phd in Switzerland but living in some border city like Friburg or Konstanz?

Do I have to pay taxes both in Switzerland and Germany?

Thanks in advance.

Shami