How to contest an unwarranted Mahnbescheid

23 posts in this topic

That's what I figured, now it's up to the lawyers to fight over this. Man oh man you could really screw somebody over with this. You choose the amount you want, wait till summer or Christmas holidays, send the  Mahnbescheid  and with a bit of hope they won't get it in time. If the person disputes it you either drop it or negotiate an agreement. If they don't respond it time you win!

1 hour ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

That's what I figured, now it's up to the lawyers to fight over this. Man oh man you could really screw somebody over with this. You choose the amount you want, wait till summer or Christmas holidays, send the  Mahnbescheid  and with a bit of hope they won't get it in time. If the person disputes it you either drop it or negotiate an agreement. If they don't respond it time you win!

Standard lawyer tactic. I had friends who were involved in a work related case (they own a band and a guy sued for wrongful dismissal - his dad was a solicitor) and they got the letter by Currier on Friday.

They managed to get in touch with their agent they did some work for, he got his solicitor to call them back and he said 'don't worry, it is a standard tactic. You are supposed to worry about it all weekend and they hope you will get to Monday in the frame of mind that you just want it to go away. They then can try to get what thy want'.. 

Another tactic would  be to ask for less than the cost of fighting it and hope the other party just pays up. Media copyright lawyers have been doing that fro a while now..

OK called the legal insurance and they opened a case file and referred us to a lawyer. Spoke with him and he asked us to email him all the documentation and he'll take it from here. It's a very simple dispute, we over the former owners (big German property company) about 80€ they're claiming over a 1000€. Once we come to an agreement on the costs still owing I'll pay. So for obvious reasons I'm glad I was around the get the Mahnbescheid .