Where to buy simple painkillers

13 posts in this topic

Like aspirin or paracetamol, etc?

Where can you buy them?

At the Apotheke over the counter? Do I need a prescription?

Or at the supermarket like Toom?

You can buy them over the counter at the Apotheke. You just have to ask for them. You will not, however, find Panadeine or anything like it without a prescription. I highly recommend buying a big batch next time you're back home, because they're very expensive in Germany.

When I was living in Munich, I had to pay 7,50 for 20 Alleve. When my mother came to visit from the States, I asked her to bring me a bottle of 100 Tylenol (Paracetamol). She brought me a bottle of 1000 that she bought for only $8!

you can get up to 400mg Ibuprophen without a prescription at the counter at the Apotheke. Anything stronger needs a prescription.

You can get Voltaren over the counter at the pharmacy. I find it very effective.

Mr. Potter - just be prepared for German Sticker Shock when you go to pay for that Aspirin.

If you have friends coming in from overseas, ask for them to bring you a stockpile.

And sometimes they drill you as to why you need it and want to tell you how this other product is better... also different brands have different prices so ask them about that too.

Stockpiling is a cood tip... in the meantime www.quick-pharma.com They are indeed quick and the prices are generally much lower than in the Apotheke.

Mr. Potter - just be prepared for German Sticker Shock when you go to pay for that Aspirin.

If you have friends coming in from overseas, ask for them to bring you a stockpile.

And sometimes they drill you as to why you need it and want to tell you how this other product is better... also different brands have different prices so ask them about that too.

Stockpiling is a good tip... in the meantime www.quick-pharma.com They are indeed quick and the prices are generally much lower than in the Apotheke.

I usually pick up 20 Ibu at 400mg for 2.50, not a bad price really!

Aspirin costs more for the name, but there are generic brands one could buy alot cheaper.

And sometimes they drill you as to why you need it and want to tell you how this other product is better...

It makes sense to actually listen at least occasionally to the advice dispensed by the pharmacists.

From the brand names bandied about in this thread it's obvious that some people are unaware of the difference between simple painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs.

There are 100 brands. For example, One brand of ibuprofen costs 7 bucks for 20 tablets, and one costs 3. So ask for the cheap stuff cause they won't offer it to you. If you buy the cheap stuff, it is not too bad price wise. Still more expensive than in the US where you can buy truck loads, but not robbing the bank either.

"Aspirin" is a registered trademark for Acetyl Salicylate in Germany and is absurdly expensive.

(I was taught how easy and cheap it was to make when studying chemistry 50 years ago).

Ask for "Acetyl Salicylate" - the same thing but vastly cheaper when

from Ratiopharm etc.

Paracetamol, "Aspirin" and Ibuprufen are not available in large packs in Germany

to reduce the risk of suicide (as is also the case in the UK - and quite rightly so).

Paracetamol and codeine tablets are no longer available "over the counter" in Germany

because the German pharma experts frown on compound analgesics - still available in the UK 'tho.

The Apotheken racket will be sorted out this year - chains will be able to start up.