German terms for 'disabilities', 'special needs'

11 posts in this topic

is anyone out there working with people with dis-abilities? a few years ago. in Australia, i was working as an attendant carer in a home with young people with high-needs dis-abilities( is this still a politically correct term ?)in Ireland i worked as a volunteer in a day centre for people with (mostly)mental dis-abilities, also in an old peoples home.i am trying to get back into this field over here. can anyone tell me how these positions translate?

cheers, andi

Google for Behindertenbetreuung. First link that comes up is www.promedica24.de. They are looking for Krankenschwester (nurses), Krankenpfleger (male nurses), Betreuer/Betreuerinnen (care giver). Krank means sick, behindert means disabled.

cheers,ma beer. i shall check it out. but round here, a lot of 'pfleger'jobs need you to have a qualification. in Ireland i studied part- time for a 'Certificate in Disability Studies'.would you have something like this over here? doesn't experience count for anything?

Potential employers want the relevant piece of paper because their insurance will not pay out if something goes wrong and you are not professionally qualified, Welcome to Germany and the flexible job market.

Do you actually speak German? If so , you should be able to get employment as a Pfleger . It is shocking how underqualified some of the so called Pflegers are here . If however you have no or only basic German , you will have no chance .

doesn't experience count for anything?

depends on the job of course, if more people are looking for the same job it usually gets harder without any qualification, especially since a 3 year Ausbildung is common in Germany. But I guess finding a job in nursing or care giving should be possible, have a look at the big hospital companys like asklepios, helios, sana and social services like johanniter, malteser, drk or others that are in your area, you could ask your Arbeitsamt (Agentur für Arbeit) for adresses in your area and further help.

With regard to the two counts, language ability and experience, I think that the Pflege/Care situation is such here that the various homes/hospitals etc are generally desperately looking for personnel. Remember that the Civi dienst by young men who don't want to do the Army national service, is often in this branch, so they clearly have no experience there, so the OP is ahead in that area. And a lot of Pflege personnel are from East European countries with minimal language abilities. Though that might mean that the pay could also be pretty low too. As long as the OP does a language course (start now pre job interview) I don't see the problem.

I agree the Arbeitsamt is the best source. There are many smaller Stiftung/Charity based type homes for disabled people around, not only the big hospitals - I think that they would apply to the Arbeitsamt first for further personnel.

@humphs: "Do you actually speak German? If so , you should be able to get employment as a Pfleger(...)"

Nope. You obviously mean "PflegehelferIn". A "Pfleger" or "Schwester" is a qualified person.

From what I have observed, there seems to be a lack of people willing to work in this area. If he has experience, then he could perhaps get a job starting at the bottom of the pole (in order to learn German, get experience working in Germany, and not starve at the same time), then work up. Should go quicker since he has already done this work. Can this sort of qualification be "learned on the job"??

i have an iterview with the nice Arge II lady on wednesday, and i shall make up an introductory letter , and go round the local charities and hospitals in the meantime.. my german is not so bad, as long as i dont have to have a deep and meaningful conversation. just cant get my head round the grammar. my secretary(girlfriend) redoes all my attempts at paperwork, so 'she'll be right'.

i shall post here when i am gainfully employed, being paid for doing something i like doing.( hows that for positive thinking?)

thanks for the suggestions, people. not one sarky comment. am i in the wrong department?

andi ;)

oh, and the pay is crap all over europe in this field, as far as i know. only in Australia,i fell on my feet, and was getting paid more than i was as a welder

in Ireland it is the minimum wage. no wonder they cant get people to do it.mind you, how much would you pay someone to wipe yer arse??