Cool ideas for kids' packed lunches

40 posts in this topic

My son rightfully is bored with your standard "german" choice of chees or salami. Or salmai and cheese. Which I to my shame have sheepishly followed.

As the responsibility of widening his culinary horizons and cooking skills is firmly set upon my shoulders I was wondering what else I could prepare for sandwiches. I made fresh egg mayonaise this morning, even though he insisted he hated mayonaise, which the taste test then proved an absolute hit (thanks to half a teaspoon of colmans mustard powder in it ;-)). But what else could I through into a sandwich or his lunch box?

Or must it be sandwiches?

Tough one. My youngest likes peanut butter sandwiches with just a hint of jelly (jam, marmalade or whatever you call it). Sliced chicken or ham might get eaten, salami usually does (but not always). My oldest won't touch peanut butter, wants "semmel" now instead of bread, but still wants salami (with lettuce) and a big hunk of cucumber. Granola bars, sometimes a pretzel works and an attempt something from a tree or plant are my alternates.

Today I threw in an actimel for one as well and gave the other 3 euros to buy his since the look-of-death when I mentioned peanut butter softened my wallet. (am out of lunch meats until the left over turkey is ready on sunday)

No you can mix it up. Get a soup thermos (or use a small coffe thermos if you can't find a soup one) and fill it with what ever pasta (tortellini, or spaghetti, leftovers are good)/ sauce and a nice piece of bread with some veggies. Or soup/cheese slices and some fruit. Or for a different choice just mix cold cuts,cheese, fruits, and crackers.

It kinda gets old thinking of new stuff. Getting stuck in a rut?

Never done much kids packed lunch, but used to do it for the missus.

Best sandwich ever is cold roast beef, caramelised onion, rocket and horseradish mayo. Might be a bit OTT for a kids packed lunch though. Anyway, it is still awesome.

2nd best sandwich ever is a baguette with slices of spanish potato omelette. Tortilla de patatas is just great stuff.

What about going middle-easterny? Couscous salad (couscous, cucumber, white onions, tomtatoes, parsley, mint, coriander, etc), hummus and some flatbreads, pittas or something. Or go indian, buy an insulated tiffin set (stackable food containers basically) and pop some mild curry, rice, pickles and chapatis or something into it. Marvellous spot of lunch.

There is always ginsters style snacks too, like minced beef and onion wrapped up in some puff pastry. Eats well cold.

What I used to do alot of the time was try and think about my wifes lunch the evening before when I was cooking dinner, so I could do a bit of extra rice for example, then when its cold, make a rice salad for the next day, or roast off extra vegetables, and make up some marinated italian styley roast vegetable antipasti.

To vary sandwichfiullings iusually to for a variation of:

Pate or leberwurst.

Chicken breast (marinated and cooked) can also be a leftover.

A tin of tuna with finely chopped onion and mashed had boiled eggsmixd together with mayo

ham and cheese with a dolop of HP sauce. or mayo with dijon mustard.

non sandwich:

celery/carrotsticks with a mixture of mayo and miso: simple and delicious.

fruit of course.banana/fresh sliced pinapple/orange and a kiwi

mentioned earlier: pasta salad.

someitmes add a breakfast cereal bar. and one small chocolate bar as a treat.

I always liked sun dried tomatoes (the kind that is stored in oil), spinach leaves and roast beef on rye. Egg / Chicken salad is pretty easy to make and tastes great too.

Lately I have been de-seeding half a pomegranate and decanting it into a small sealed container (add a spoon to lunchbox) a few times a week. My kids (6 and 4) adore that.

My daughter is allowed to have nutella sandwiches once a week in her brotzeit at school (not allowed at kindergarten though)- she´s so happy!

What about a slice of quiche? I realise real men don't eat quiche, but hopefully your son isn't old enough to know that yet.

real men don't eat quiche

If you rename it "egg pie", it sounds a little less gay at least.

Never done much kids packed lunch, but used to do it for the missus.

Best sandwich ever is cold roast beef, caramelised onion, rocket and horseradish mayo. Might be a bit OTT for a kids packed lunch though. Anyway, it is still awesome.

2nd best sandwich ever is a baguette with slices of spanish potato omelette. Tortilla de patatas is just great stuff.

What about going middle-easterny? Couscous salad (couscous, cucumber, white onions, tomtatoes, parsley, mint, coriander, etc), hummus and some flatbreads, pittas or something. Or go indian, buy an insulated tiffin set (stackable food containers basically) and pop some mild curry, rice, pickles and chapatis or something into it. Marvellous spot of lunch.

There is always ginsters style snacks too, like minced beef and onion wrapped up in some puff pastry. Eats well cold.

What I used to do alot of the time was try and think about my wifes lunch the evening before when I was cooking dinner, so I could do a bit of extra rice for example, then when its cold, make a rice salad for the next day, or roast off extra vegetables, and make up some marinated italian styley roast vegetable antipasti.

wow.

Will you marry me? :lol:

There are loads of other things to give kids for packed lunch if they get bored - if my wife is away I try out things like popodoms and dip, or a piece of cold pizza, or British crisps, or marmite rice crackers, or cheese and piccalilly sandwiches, a handful of raisins, etc. My wife also always does sliced apple pieces and they are alwasy a big hit.

A couple of quick lunchbox ideas:

Crustless Quiche (Veg can also be varied, smoked salmon would also be tasty)

50 g Flour (405 type)

250 g Du Darfst Kochen Mit Finesse or a small pot of crème fraîche, even Frischkäse would work

3 Eggs

100 g Sweetcorn from a tin, drained

50 g Lachsschinken - those little Katenschinken chopped ham bits

1 tblsp Parmesan, grated

Salt & Pepper

Mix eggs, cooking cream and flour together. Add sweetcorn, ham and season to taste.

Put in muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray/oiled/or in paper cases and bake at 180 for ca. 30mins.

Makes 6.

Freeze beautifully with in built portion control. 3 WWPoints a piece if you're into that kind of thing.

Nigella's mini meatloaves also freeze well.

This kind of thing ends up being more brekkie than lunch for me to be honest.

Maybe try these out over various weekend lunches and see what they like, we love them all:

- Hummus and cucumber (or lettuce), with or without tomato, sandwich. The hummus can make the bread a little soggy, so if you prefer, add a thin layer of butter on the bread so it will keep better over a few hours time.

- Cream cheese ('philadelphia') with sliced cucumbers sandwich

- Sliced cheese (emmentaler, cheddar, etc) and mustard (dijon or frenches) sandwich

Also, you can make the sandwich a bit more interesting by using a cookie cutter and cutting out fun shapes for the kids.

Here's a website with many, many more ideas: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/spe...school_food_sf/

This thread is proving very useful for me as I don't like sandwiches and I'm always stuck on what to make for a healthy lunch.

Extra thanks to Katrina for the mini quiche recipe, I'll be trying that next week.

Thanks so far folks... I can see a fair few ideas here, and as ER has just said, maybe not just for the little ones either! Keep em rolling. Death to salami and cheese semmels!

I haven't been a rut (yet) for my son's Kita snack box, but I plan to try those mini meat loaves, thanks!

The crustless quiche I got it off my sister-in-law's mum, I always liked quiche but picked off the pastry.

You can defrost in the microwave and have it as hot brekkie too, low on wash-up as well. Same with the meatloves, if you have some salsa hanging about in the fridge, add it too.

Not too ripe discounter brie with those Thompson style harder green grapes plus grapes on side

Discounter mozzerella with basil and cherry tomatos plus cherry tomatos on side

Tuna and avocado and a small apple

Grated discouter gouda, spring onion, 'proper' wholegrain mustard mayo with paprika sticks on side

Hummus and grated carrot with carrot sticks on the side

Leftover roast chicken with a 'curry' mayo, tomato and cucumber bits on the side

So basically, quite bland things to start with that can be cut into the right sized slices / chunks and seasoned to each individual small persons freakishly inconsistent palette and not too many different tastes going on at the same time.

Thanks for some useful ideas here - I also need to start being more adventurous with the lunch boxes for my children. They love peanut butter but that is not allowed at their Kindergarten, it is considered a 'Süssigkeit' along with jam, etc. and therefore not permitted.