Indoor basketball courts in Munich

23 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of good indoor basketball courts in the city? Something for the winter; long opening hours; free or cheap?

Or perhaps you know of some public agency that might have a listing of all centers with courts, facilities, fees and the like?

Related links: Outdoor basketball courts, Who plays basketball?

Hi Randy,

Here's the best list I know of for all sport opportunities in Munich: Sportamt München

If you put in a search for basketball, you'll find dozens of places that have courts. In fact, you might want to limit the search. No prices listed, but addresses and phone numbers for all the places.

If you find a free indoor court for the winter dwg, speak up - I'll play.

I just joined Elixia gym yesterday after switiching from Leo and I was told that the Elixia located at 250 Leopoldstrasse has a basketball court as well as volleyball and a golf range. I'm gonna check it out today and will see what the deal is.

We have a pick up game organised in the Elixir Health club near Frankfurter Ring every Thursday from 19:00 - 21:00. Its free and can be fun.

How to get there - its north of Schwabing and used to be called fit plus now Elixir

From Munchener Freiheit a bus goes straight past it - the 38 I think or get the U3 and walk. (MVV)

I belong to Elixia and it costs about €90 something a month. If you work here in Munich you can get €20 off depending on which company you work for, plus they hack off the start up fee.

thanks fusilli-

I was wondering when you switched to elixar gym were you able to go there and get a guest pass for a day or week? Basically a pass to "sample" the gym and see if you like it. I wasn't sure if they did things like that around here. I wouldn't mind going on a thursday to play some basketball in the thursday game, check out the gym, see if it's worth joining.

How was the Thursday game when you went? Were there a lot of people playing? Is it a full court or half court?

Thanks!

Kevin

No problem Kevin...I ended up doing an ab class on thursday so i didn't have the energy to make it to the game. However, the peope at the gym seen to be very nice and i'm sure will let you get a one day pass or a trial pass. But i'm not too sure...All in all it seems to be a pretty cool gym. I used to go to Leo and that was nice, but limited to the basics there. At Elixia you can play basketball, they have a golf range, beach volleyball, swimming pools and all that other stuff other than just weights and running machines. Also on thursday's they throw a big club party at there gym on leopoldstr. and as a member I think you get a discount. APparantly it's a pretty big party.

Ok...in an attempt to revive a thread seemingly suffering from cardiac arrest...I mean wow. You can play every sport in Munich from rugby to badmiton to even BEER PONG. Yes...I said BEER PONG. Anybody know of indoor courts on the weekend that a group can get together and play some basketball? Due to the spontaneity of of such things, it would be nice to find a place where everyone does not have to belong to a club. Don't get me wrong...the other sports are fine (all though it looks like I need to be educated on beer pong), but it would be great to find an indoor court.

I know this has been discussed before but I thought I would start a new thread for this year. Anyone know of an indoor court where I can play? Newly transplanted from California and would love to get a run in a few times a month. Thanks in advance.

Any luck finding anything? I've just moved here a week ago and I'm just starting to look around for a competition or at least some competitive street ball. So far - I've played one afternoon at the courts near Josepfplatz with some random guys who spoke good English, so if you are near the Schwabing area then it might be worth looking at, although I obviously don't know whether this is a popular court for playing pick-up or not...

Join a club team. I'm not in München, but it's the same everywhere.

Bigger clubs have up to 7 or 8 teams based on your skills. You will never run out of competition, believe me.

1st senior, 2nd senior (Herren) etc. You will be able to play "just for fun" if you get into the lower

teams and semi pro if you're able to play in a higher class.

The leagues in Germany range from Kreisklasse to Bundesliga. "District" level or Federal level.

Bundesliga is of course full pro. But the better you are, the further you travel to games. I played in the fourth league.

We even had cup games against second Bundesliga (semi pro - pro) teams. But even the lowest teams play a league schedule!

A teammate of my junior team is now record national team player: Patrick Fehmerling.

He switched to NCAA (Washington Huskies) from Junior level at ART Düsseldorf and later Euroleague.

(Barcelona, Alba Berlin, Olympiakos Piraeus). I'm nowhere near pro. He was invited by different colleges in the US.

So you see the system is quite open.

AND: Joining a club is incredibly cheap. 100-200€ a year! And you'll meet new friends, teamgeist helps!

And you'll have frequent competition and a bit of pressure.

Is there a list of clubs that field basketball teams somewhere? Most I have found, field only youth teams, if any teams at all. Thanks.

Here: I googled Basketball Vereine München

http://citysports.de/muenchen/suche/sporta...ll&SNr=1200

You may call one near you.(Click one of the links under "Verein" and you'll have a phone number). Don't be bothered to ask in english. We had Swedes, Americans and Greeks in our last team here in Düsseldorf. Like i said, i'm not from Munich, but i'd just try and call or check out their times and location and just drop by.

Ask for a Herren-Team or Herren-Mannschaft. It sounds like "old-fellows", but it just means 18+ (adult)

100% sure there are adult teams. Check the links, even Bayern München, 1860 and Maccabi.

Hi there, I am leading a local Basketball Club in Munich town.

It is called BC Hellenen Muenchen.

More information also here:

http://www.munich-basketball.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=168

We started this initiative in August 2009, when we developed lots of different teams.

We have 4 men's teams and one women team. (more to come next year)

Actually we always search for good players with ages between 16 - 35.

We are also thinking of creating a U40 team, means under 40 years, if we gather enough people who want to play.

Of course this is basically amateur level with the ambition to unite nations...

at the moment we have more than 34 nations in our teams and we expand day by day.

So if anyone interested in playing basketball in Munich he should contact us.

Kind regards

Kostas