Somali pirates hijack an oil tanker

29 posts in this topic

These Pirates are getting a bit out of hand! it can't be that a bunch of Rag Tags can hold the shipping world to ransom.

Although there is apparently quite a large international fleet of vessels policing the area , they seem to be getting away with it more and more often?

DW-World Report

The hijacking of the "Sirius Star" occurred near the border to Kenya, hundreds of kilometers south of the EU-NATO mission's operational area.

they have been doing it for hundreds of years but theiur target used to be shipping from Mogadishu. Now that Somalia has completely imploded there is bugger all shipping in Mogadishu so they have switdched their attention northwards to international shipping lanes.

The solution lies first in restabilising Somalia so that the authorities can start dealing with these pirate townships north opf Mogadishu. That however looks a long way off with Eritrea delibrerately destabilising the country and the failure of the international communinity to treat seriously the Somalian problem.

Oh and about the OP's user name - you do realise that to anyone Scottish your name reads as if you are a coprophiliac fast food operative. is that the image you wish to convey? :huh:

India shows the world the way forward

Yay for India!

India 'sinks Somali pirate ship'

The navy said the pirates on board were armed with guns and rocket propelled

grenade launchers.

When it demanded the vessel stop for investigation, the pirate ship responded

by threatening to "blow up the naval warship if it closed on her", the statement

said.

Pirates then fired on the Tabar, and the Indians say they retaliated and that

there was an explosion on the pirate vessel, which sank.

When some engineers get seized in Afghanistan or Iraq they are often held hostage for weeks if not months, and everybody denies a ransom has been paid.

The ships are being hiajcked for ransom, not for the valuable cargo, which in this case is M$100 worth of oil.

But when a ship gets seized the ransom is openly paid within days. I don't understand. The crew are all Filipinos, and Indians, which are less face it expendable to the shipping companies. So is it the ship and cargo being ransomed?

I also find it absurd that with the power of modern navies, they're incapable of controlling pirates with a few AK47's, and grenade launchers in a speedboat.

Hopefully the pirate's have gone too far taking a supertanker, and people will get serious.

From the BBC link...

Piracy off the coast of East Africa and the Gulf of Aden - an area of more than 1m sq miles (2.6m sq km) - is estimated to have cost up to $30m in ransoms this year, a UK think tank has said.

A Ukranian tanker is still held by the pirates. I been checking ebay lately for a slightly used T-72.

Oh and about the OP's user name - you do realise that to anyone Scottish your name reads as if you are a coprophiliac fast food operative. is that the image you wish to convey?

Thanks for your concern! I often get questioned about my title , I come from a long line of constipated Scots,

But to me it's not about image .

I come from a long line of constipated but nevertheless good humoured Scots,

That was always my assumption anyway. I do like a good user id myself.

The crew are all Filipinos, and Indians, which are less face it expendable to the shipping companies. So is it the ship and cargo being ransomed?

I thought that in the present case the crew were Brits?

I say equip all of the ships goigng through there with defensive guns and the like. When those pirates start getting blown up trying to hijack ships, they might start thinking twice..

Negotiate with them and give them whatever they demand. After all, they must be wronged in someway so terrible that it drives them into this unruly lifestyle. Remember, violence is never the solution and only breeds more violence. I'm sure that if you get everyone to sit at a table and discuss their problems, a solution will be found without needless loss of life.

I have heard that they are afraid of ticking crocodiles, so let's hope the Royal Navy can deploy one in the area soon. We could also consider an airdrop of treasure maps with more than one 'x' marking the spot on them to keep them occupied for long enough to ensure our ships get through