Hamburg Book of the Month Club

398 posts in this topic

I second the motion for The Hour I First Believed! Looks like it is going to be a summer of great reading. Can't wait!

I have been waiting years for Wally Lamb to put out another book. Definitely up for The Hour I First Believed. Thanks for the tip, I've ordered it! :D

For what time are we planning the June meeting? (I want to make sure the time is blocked in my calendar.)

Thanks, all!

Hi All,

Are you still reading and meeting? I just finished an extraordinary book and wanted to suggest it for you guys. It's The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Meyer is the author of the very popular young adult series Twilight. The Host is her first adult novel and it's brilliant. I really don't know where she comes up with this stuff! The story is very complex and yet the author pulls it off with grace. The characters are original and the love you end up feeling for them is both surprising and touching. For a little bit about the book, read below:

The Host - Science fiction for people who don't like science fiction

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

For more info on the book and a few reviews, click here.

Hey! I was wondering where the June meeting was going to be. (It is this upcoming Sunday, yes?) I'd like to come along, although I can't guarantee I'll have the book read by then. I've only been here a couple of days myself and I'd like to meet some people. I intend to go out tomorrow attempt to acquire a copy of this month's book and hopefully read it at top speed. :)

Hello,

Yes the meeting is this Sunday

Where: Cafe Ole: Keplerstr. 2, 22765 Hamburg

When: Sunday June 14th from 4pm

If it is nice we will be outside in the front, otherwise we will most likely be in the back corner.

See everyone Sunday.

A quick reminder that Book Club is today.

Feel free to come along if you are interested. Today's discussion of Cloudstreet should be interesting even if you haven't read the book!

Hi all! I am happy to choose the book for September. As I mentioned in the last club meeting, I'd like to suggest Lowboy which I just received myself and am anxious to read. Here a bit of info:

Lowboy by John Wray

Early one morning in New York City, Will Heller, a sixteen-year-old paranoid schizophrenic, gets on an uptown B train alone. Like most people he knows, Will believes the world is being destroyed by climate change; unlike most people, he’s convinced he can do something about it. Unknown to his doctors, unknown to the police—unknown even to Violet Heller, his devoted mother—Will alone holds the key to the planet’s salvation. John Wray’s third novel, tells the story of Will’s fantastic and terrifying odyssey through the city’s tunnels, back alleys, and streets in search of Emily Wallace, his one great hope, and of Violet Heller’s desperate attempts to locate her son before psychosis claims him completely.

In the case too many people may have already read it or feel strongly about not reading it :blink: , I do have a second recommendation:

The White Tiger Aravind Adiga

Balram Halwai is the White Tiger of the book's title - a title he earns by virtue of being deemed the smartest boy in his village, a community deep in the "Darkness" of rural India. Balram is the son of a rickshaw-puller; his family is too poor for him to be able to finish school, and instead he has to work in a teashop, breaking coals and wiping tables. Through these experiences, Balram learns much about the world and later states that the streets of India provided him with all the education he needed. Later, Balram gets his break when a rich man hires him as a chauffeur, and takes him to live in Delhi. The city is a revelation. As he drives his master to shopping malls and call centers, Balram becomes increasingly aware of immense wealth and opportunity all around him, while knowing that he will never be able to gain access to that world. As Balram broods over his situation, he realizes that there is only one way he can become part of this glamorous new India.

Both are available on Amazon.de. Happy on any feedback. If there are no posts on not being in favor for Lowboy in the next coming 2 weeks then Lowboy it will be.

Looking forward to discussing White Teeth next month!

Well I vote for Lowboy by John Wray, sounds really interesting.

The White Tiger - reminds me a bit of Life of Pi.

But they both sound really good so I would be happy with either choice.

Stephanie

I read The White Tiger recently and really enjoyed it, although it wasn't particularly original (not sure it was worthy of the Booker). My vote is with Lowboy... it sounds great!

A request for Amazon orderers, if I may...

The American Women's Club of Hamburg gets a donation from Amazon every time someone orders via the AWCH. If you are ordering from Amazon, could you please enter the Amazon website via our link? Go to http://awchamburg.org, click on the Amazon logo in the left column, and you'll be taken to Amazon where your ordering proceeds as usual (except that the AWCH is noted as referring you there).

Thanks! Every little bit helps. Last year, we made a sizable charitable donation to buy mosquito netting for organizations in third-world countries. The funds don't go to tea parties. :)

Upon reflection of the last meeting, I feel that perhaps book club has lost a bit of it's structure.

We have had a lot of newcomers at the last few meetings and that is great and we welcome anyone who would like to join us, but we seem to have lost a bit of focus at the meetings and spend more time chatting about life in Hamburg and a lot less about the books.

I would like to purpose that we go back to the earlier format where the person who chose the book title has a few discussion questions prepared and that we do our socialized after we have exhausted the book conversation.

Last months book seem to get barely a 10 min discussion which is not what book club is about. In fact - Purple-Hoggy, if you would like to bring up some points about Cloudstreet for this weeks meeting I think it would be great to revisit it for part of the meeting.

Feedback and your thoughts are most welcomed.

Stephanie

I couldn't agree more.

Perhaps we could spend some time at the next meeting discussing our expectations for book club? That would be useful I think. I really don't want it to become overly formal, but more structure would be great.

And I shall try to find something to promt some further discussion of Cloudstreet for those who would like to do that.

hear hear - I agree!

see you all Sunday for White Teeth and more Cloudstreet :)