Hamburg Book of the Month Club

398 posts in this topic

Sounds great Sprudeln about the books...I'm in if that's the general consensus.

I'm off to Munich tomorrow til Tuesday, so I guess I'II see you all when I get back.

I'm going to order October over the weekend. Amazon.de has them starting at 31 euros, Amazon.co.uk from £3.38. Let me know by Saturday if you want me to order a copy for you. (Use my email address or facebook as I don't log in here that often.)

I'd love to join all of you - infact I signed up so I could! H/e it may be May when I can cos we're planning to be away in Berlin after Easter :( I'd have loved to have been there for the gatsby - have long wanted to read it & am ashamed to think I havent yet. however I'll be there if we dont travel and really look forward to meeting all of you .

Cheers!

Hi There!

Just wanted to update the thread with the new location for Book Club in April. :)

As the weather is warming up, cafe's are only going to get busier on Sunday afternoons.

Therefore I have booked the 'sofa' area in Cafe Ole in Altona for our next meeting.

When the weather warms up, they also have gorgeous, leafy green outdoor seating too B)

Where: Cafe Ole: Keplerstr. 2, 22765 Hamburg

When: Sunday April 19th from 4pm

Map: Cafe Ole

Book for April: The Great Gatsby

Once again, it is walking distance from Altona station (less than 10 minutes)...

Closest buses are #1 or #250, get off at stop Große Brunnenstraße (both buses stop here).

If this works out to be a great location, even if somewhat busy, we will continue to have our book-club meetings here from now on.

See you then. :)

Bump.

Just a reminder we are meeting this weekend at Cafe Ole.

Please feel free to come along and join the discussion and if you haven't read the book but are interested in seeing how it goes, come by and say hello and have a drink with us.

See you all Sunday.

Hi all

I would like to join the book club. I used to be a member of one when I lived in Spain and it was a great way to find books I would otherwise not have read.

It is particularly interesting because I live in Keplerstr right opposite Cafe Ole and have a latte and OJ from there most mornings!

The only problem for me is that I am away most weekends so I would need to rearrange my life a little to actually meet you all, looking through the forum it seems you meet on the second Sunday each month, more or less? One weekend per month I can manage...

Thanks!

Paul

Hi all,

I'm back from Australia and would love to join in the book club now. What is the new book and the new date?

Cheers!

Althea

Just a reminder that bok club for May is on next Sunday the 10th. The book is October by Richard B. Wright. I'm not sure where we're meeting though... how was Cafe Olè?

Looking forward to meeting some new people this month too!!

Hi there

Once you confirm where you're all meeting, I'll probably come along, though I won't have time to source a copy of the book let alone read it. At least I'll know what the next one is!

New to Hamburg and would love to join the book club. Any tips on where to pick up a copy of October? Checked Amazon, however it is only available through it's marketplace and shipped from the US.

Hi Everyone,

Book Club is this Sunday and we will be meeting at Cafe Ole again. (address is in this thread)

Thyme, I think you will be hard pressed to find October on such short notice, but please come along on Sunday anyways.

Our next book will be Tim Winton's - Cloudstreet.

For all of you who are new to book club or anyone who hasn't contributed a title yet...suggestions this week would be most welcomed as I think it would be good to choose the next 3 books, so that if there are any more problems with orders and delays, nobody is left out.

I choose this months book "October" and had I known how difficult it was for everyone to get I wouldn't have suggested it. So maybe check if the book is available on Amazon before.

Reminder to everyone bookclub is the second Sunday of every month at 4pm.

Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend.

Stephanie

Hi everyone,

I found a cute article in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning recommending 2 books:

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

A novel about modern middle-class life in suburban Melbourne, which prompts love, hatred and, most importantly, discussion.

Hugo, a three-year-old chucking a tantrum at a barbecue, is slapped by a man who is not his father. Hugo is young enough to be breastfed but old enough to utter after: "No one is allowed to touch my body without my permission".

This sends the story off on a journey through the realities of modern life - child discipline, binge drinking in middle age, running a small business, masturbating furtively, managing competing loyalties between family and friends, working out what to do with fat children, taking yoga classes, putting off the phone call to Mum, hating lawyers but dragging them into fights nonetheless.

and Platform by Michel Houellebecq (available on amazon.de for a pittance)

Houellebecq's chief character, Michel, is an accountant at the ministry of culture in Paris. He watches television and visits peep-shows in the way of such characters in fiction. When his father is murdered on a point of honour by a north African, Michel inherits some money and joins a package tour to Thailand, where he migrates between massage parlours and the bottle. The other tourists are fat and plebeian. While in Thailand, Michel falls in love with Valérie, an employee of the tour company, which is in business difficulties. Back in Paris, they embark on a love affair. With the narrative in the doldrums, the sex becomes wet, various and frantic. Michel persuades Valérie and her boss to convert the company's hotels in Thailand and the Caribbean to sex tourism. The new package holidays are a success with the Germans - a stupid race, apparently, notoriously without culture. Michel is thinking about babies and learning to cook when some Muslim terrorists - young men with turbans, anyhow - blow Valérie and 116 prostitutes and their customers to pieces.

The story works in its preposterous way because we are not engaging with reality.

I haven't read either of them but they certainly look like they'll provoke their fair share of discussion! :P

Hi all,

Thanks for yesterday - it was lovely to meet so many new people.

Zoe, those books sound very thought-provoking indeed! I'd like to see the Tsolkis one (I'm sure I've misspelt that) on the list somewhere. He is a well-known Aussie author and somewhat controversial.

Stephanie asked me to decide on the book for July. I am still tossing up between:

Siri Hustvedt's The Sorrows of an American (2008) or

Zadie Smith's White Teeth.

Both are available through Thalia as I've seen them online and in-store. White Teeth has been very popular over the years and is widely available second-hand. I realise that not everyone was there yesterday, or didn't get a chance to discuss the next books. So if there is anyone in the group who has already read White Teeth and would prefer to read the Hustvedt book, speak up now :-)

Cheers

Althea

I haven't read either of the books...either, so both are good for me too.

If you could decide asap Althea, as I would like to place my order for Cloudstreet today or tomorrow and could order White Teeth at the same time.

I have read The Autograph Man and On Beauty and would definitely like to read White Teeth but I'm also fine with The Sorrows of an American :)

Also, I have a couple more suggestions for the months to come:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

At once audacious, dazzling, pretentious and infuriating, Mitchell's third novel weaves history, science, suspense, humor and pathos through six separate but loosely related narratives that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next. Like Mitchell's previous works, Ghostwritten and number9dream (which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize), this latest foray relies on a kaleidoscopic plot structure that showcases the author's stylistic virtuosity. Each of the narratives is set in a different time and place, each is written in a different prose style, each is broken off mid-action and brought to conclusion in the second half of the book. Among the volume's most engaging story lines is a witty 1930s-era chronicle, via letters, of a young musician's effort to become an amanuensis for a renowned, blind composer and a hilarious account of a modern-day vanity publisher who is institutionalized by a stroke and plans a madcap escape in order to return to his literary empire (such as it is).

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Requiem for a dream by Hubert Selby

I think most of us will have seen the movie at some point but until recently I wasn't aware that it was based on a novel. I'm not sure if you all would be interested in reading a book that you already know the movie of but thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Also, the one I already mentioned on Sunday: The hour I first believed by Wally Lamb

When forty-seven-year-old high school teacher Caelum Quirk and his younger wife, Maureen, a school nurse, move to Littleton, Colorado, they both get jobs at Columbine High School. In April 1999, Caelum returns home to Three Rivers, Connecticut, to be with his aunt who has just had a stroke. But Maureen finds herself in the school library at Columbine, cowering in a cabinet and expecting to be killed, as two vengeful students go on a carefully premeditated, murderous rampage. Miraculously she survives, but at a cost: she is unable to recover from the trauma. Caelum and Maureen flee Colorado and return to an illusion of safety at the Quirk family farm in Three Rivers. But the effects of chaos are not so easily put right, and further tragedy ensues. While Maureen fights to regain her sanity, Caelum discovers a cache of old diaries, letters, and newspaper clippings in an upstairs bedroom of his family's house. The colorful and intriguing story they recount spans five generations of Quirk family ancestors, from the Civil War era to Caelum's own troubled childhood. Piece by piece, Caelum reconstructs the lives of the women and men whose legacy he bears. Unimaginable secrets emerge; long-buried fear, anger, guilt, and grief rise to the surface. As Caelum grapples with unexpected and confounding revelations from the past, he also struggles to fashion a future out of the ashes of tragedy. His personal quest for meaning and faith becomes a mythic journey that is at the same time quintessentially contemporary—and American. (Amazon.com)

All three of those are available on Amazon immediately and, with the exception of Requiem which takes two weeks to be delivered, also at Thalia.

Maybe once we have a list of book suggestions we could vote on Doodle whether each of us would be interested in them and then read the ones that got the most votes in descending order of popularity? What's your opinion on this?

Cheers,

Steffi

Well, let's confirm for July so that people can buy the book. I now officially suggest White Teeth. :D

Althea

Right...so books for:

June: Cloudstreet by Tim Winton

July: White Teeth by Zadie Smith

My vote for August is:

The hour I first believed by Wally Lamb...great suggestion Steffi :)