Hamburg Book of the Month Club

398 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Hamburg at the beginning of December, and would like to join the Book Club. Could I come to the December meeting?

Thanks

Liz

Hi everyone,

I am also interested in joining. where is the next meeting?

Also, I created a FB group page for native English speakers that live in Hamburg.

Hope to see you soon :-)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/rockinginhamburg/

in case you cant see it

facebook.com/groups/rockinginhamburg/

Hey guys,

Has the Book of the Month Club moved to another forum? I'm confused. As far as I understand the December meeting didn't take place?

Would be grateful for any info.

Cheers,

Joanna

Hi all,

it seems the book club has been a little dormant the past few months in the lead up to Christmas. Time to give it back some life!

I was on holidays in Australia in November and I see no posts were made for the December meet up which was due last Sunday.

The book club doesn't have any "leaders" as such so everybody is free to organize it and take the initiative to organize. However, it is a good idea to keep it at regular intervals, I guess the next meet up will be on 8th January! If the traditional second Sunday of the month doesn't suit people then we can see if people prefer another time.

So now I should have plenty of time over the holidays to read the books in backlog, hopefully we can get back to a regular schedule!! No more excuses.

January -A Confederacy of Dunces by John K Toole (January 8th meet up)

February -Mr. Pip by Lloyd Jones (February 12th meet up)

See you

JD

Hello, I would love joining the book club on January 8th - is there still room for someone new? I am not a native speaker though. I studied American studies in college and spent some time in Texas. And I love reading English books! Where do you meet? Frida

Hello All! A few requests to postpone by 1 week to next Sunday (15th?). 4pm. Place will be set by next Thursday. Should give everyone time to get further through the book. Hope that suits most of you still. See you all then. All welcome!!

Sunday the 15th is good! I haven't read the book yet but I think I should manage in a week. I'm looking forward to it!

Hi everyone.

The January meet up takes place next Sunday at my place this time, 4pm. Anyone interested is more than welcome just let me know and I'll give you the address. I won't have the book read in time myself (time constraints!), so if you haven't either do still come along. At least four people have read it, three of whom have confirmed for Sunday. I've gone straight ahead and started Mr. Pip for February.

Also, I can't remember if there were some candidate books for March/April does anyone remember? Any suggestions will be welcome, I'm sure we can see come Sunday what people are interested in. Some people have already read Mr. Pip and could go ahead with the March/April books.

Have a great week everyone. See you at the weekend.

Thanks to all for the great meet-up today.

More updates on future books and the meetings can now be tracked more automatically on here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/312023825506273/

We're just trying it out to see how it works for everyone best.

Feel free to join up! And tell your friends!

Hi! All,

I'm a brand new member on Toytown Germany ... new to hamburg as well... I've just read about your group and it sounds so interesting to me... I've already sent a request to join your group on Facebook... to get updated about the book of the month as well as your meetups.

walaa :rolleyes:

Hi all.

Hope to see you all this Sunday for "A Song Of Achilles" discussion. Just thought I'd drop a quick post here in case anyone new is interested in joining up. Even if you haven't read the book! Do come along.

Hey! I won't be able to make it this Sunday as I have a brunch I'm attending, but I'm interested in joining in for the next one if you could let me know when that will be and what book you'll be reading!

oh! Sometimes I am so naive, I've thought you all have read Inferno from Dante's Divina Commedia! (I have seen the list of the books to read)

(I have had to study it page per page (each single verse) at Scientific High School, yes, it starts with Hell.

I would like to join you but unfortunately I read really different subjects, in different languages :-(. From science fiction to Russian Classics, from anatomy books (for painting) to anthropology, biography. The last "popular" book I was able to read was Murakami.

Now after 7 years of curiosity, Catch-22 is in my hands.

I am afraid I would probably feel like an alien in a club where everyone knows the English popular fiction. Plus I am a shy shy speaker, specially if I need to speak English-

Will a good listener be accepted?