Finding work as an English teacher in Nuremberg

30 posts in this topic

Thank you very much for answering my post.Then,the next thing I need to do is to put my CV at some schools or call them.I knew my chances weren't very high,but I still hoped.Maybe an opportunity will appear :( .

Thanks again!

I am curious about something related to teaching English as a second language. Is it possible to do with little or no ability to speak the local language? I have thought for years about getting a TEFL certification so that I could potentially live anywhere in the world and possibly earn a little income. The trouble is that, like many Americans, I am not fluent in anything other than English (after nearly two years in Germany I can read a newspaper, barely, and I can usually get the gist of what is being said on the Radio, but having some hearing problems understanding spoken German is almost impossible). I am not planning on looking for employment or anything like that I am just curious how you teach someone a language when you don't speak their language.

I have also wondered if there are groups who get together with native English speakers just for the purpose of conversing and learning some of the language that way. This seems like it would be a great way to meet Germans and a way great way for Germans to learn some of the nuances of English that are difficult to learn in a formal setting. I know, for example, that my landlady and neighbors love to talk to me because, being from the south, I speak a foreign language in most of the United States north of Kentucky and West of Texas LOL. The German friends that I have love for me to share colloquialisms with them...for example, two that surprisingly come into our conversations frequently are "high as a Georgia pine" and "drunk as a bicycle". Of course these would probably never be used in a corporate board room (although BMW does have a plant in Spartanburg, SC, so who knows?) but we all use many such terms, and sarcasm and innuendo, that is very difficult to understand if you only have formal language training. I would like to hear read any insight that any of you that have taught EFL have. It is an interesting topic, at least in my opinion.

hey guys!i m new here and already totally stressed.

i m Greek,have been teaching English as a foreign language in Greece for 16 years.my boyfriend works in Munchberg,and i m thinking of coming here next year(I m still in Greece).its either that or i break up.the thing is...will i ever find a job?not in Munchberg of course...but in Nurnberg for example...

In Greece i ve been working with all levels,mostly preparing students for the lower and proficiency exams of Cambridge and Michigan and i have a university degree for English Language and Literature from the university of Athens..i dont even know where to start.My German sucks...i know i will have to improve it...but what i m wondering is...are there vacancies for English teachers?and what are the requirements?

thanks for your time. id appreciate any advice.i m so stressed and i m not even in Germany yet :blink:

My German sucks...i know i will have to improve it...but what i m wondering is...are there vacancies for English teachers?and what are the requirements?

Most companies want native speakers; considering the number of unemployed native English speakers in most areas of Germany, it is unlikely that you’ll find a company willing to hire a non-native speaker.

See post #20 above and Bulgarian looking for job in Cologne for more info.

...are there vacancies for English teachers and what are the requirements?

Dear liamark, I'm currently living in Nuremberg, I'm Greek too. I came here last year with my man. Now I'm looking for a job as a teacher (English, German, Greek, whatever). In Greece I've been teaching English and German in language schools. You know, in Greece I've had permission for both English and German to teach in language schools, I graduated "Philosophy-Pedagogy-Psychology", did a TESOL diploma. I have to say the prospects are not good for us here. I'm being advised to study four more years to become a kindergarten teacher if I want to have better chances. :( PM me to ask for more information. I'd be glad to help in any way.

You know, in Greece I've had permission for both English and German to teach in language schools, I graduated "Philosophy-Pedagogy-Psychology", did a TESOL diploma. I have to say the prospects are not good for us here. I'm being advised to study four more years to become a kindergarten teacher if I want to have better chances.

There are more than enough native English speakers who don't have any other special skills wanting to teach English in Germany, which makes it practically impossible for non-native speakers to break in the market.

Have you considered teaching German? I actually had a non-native German speaker (I can't remember where she was from) in my C2 German course who was teaching integration courses in Berlin.

Have you considered teaching German?

Sure, but since employers here prefer native speakers to teach English why not do the same for teaching German? Would someone choose me if the other candidate were a German? I've already started the procedure needed to become a qualified German teacher but I don't know if I will be lucky in that respect. :wacko:

Sure, but since employers here prefer native speakers to teach English why not do the same for teaching German?

Foreigners living in Germany have ample opportunity to interact with native German speakers and it is unlikely that a German teacher who is not a native speaker will have much of a negative impact. On the other hand, many people learning English in Germany do not have much exposure to English.

Would someone choose me if the other candidate were a German?

Probably not, however, you’ll not always be competing with native German speakers for positions. Furthermore, it would be much easier for the average German language school to judge how well you speak German compared with a native German speaker (and there are also many Germans who really shouldn’t be teaching German).

More importantly, although there are a few English teachers who teach because they enjoy it, there are many more who teach English because they can’t find any other job or because they can’t obtain a residence permit any other way. On the other hand, native German speakers have many more options and don’t need to teach German.

Moreover, there are also many more foreigners learning basic German in Germany (especially due to the integration course) than there are people learning basic English in Germany.

Another idea would be to open a German language school in Greece. Considering all the Greeks who want to move here, I think you would have a very successful business.

Another idea would be to open a German language school in Greece. Considering all the Greeks who want to move here, I think you would have a very successful business.

There are so many language schools already that it would be ridiculous to open a new one. Plus Greeks today can hardly make ends meet let alone learn a third language. If Greeks come to live in Germany is not because they want but because they are financially desperate meaning they can't afford anything anymore. Besides, I don't like the idea of opening a language school, I can't afford it and I don't want to live in Greece.