Learn to ski the easy way - Parallel Skiing e.V.

66 posts in this topic

I just finished the three weeks of this course and it was so good. The method was so fun to learn and because we started on short skis which get bigger every day it helped build confidence everyday.

Anyone in Munich wanting to learn to ski and meet loads of new friends this is the way to do it. Unfortunately you'll have to wait until Winter 2011 because we just finished the course, but if you email Ken I'm sure he'll keep you informed of the next course.

If you have any questions on if you think it will suit you PM me.

Anyone interested in the January 2011 course should head to one of the information nights which start this weekend. (2nd of Nov 2010). There obligation free, with no pressure at all. It's not a sales pitch, just some fun.

For details you could PM me your email address and I'll forward it on, or Ken's email address is a few posts above this.

The method is great, and it's really good value, so get in touch with Ken or me.

An except from Ken's email.

SKI COURSE AND INFOEVE ANNOUNCEMENTS

BEGINNER COURSES

Beginner courses for adults start at the weekend of 6 Jan, to the

weekend of 5 Feb but we need signups now.

INFOEVES

Before the course starts, beginners must come to my house one

evening for general information, boot fitting, and a few ski exercises.

We will discuss the costs in detail at the InfoEve. The InfoEve itself is free

and non-binding. The earlier beginners come, the larger the boot selection.

Even those who are skeptical should come along to an InfoEve

and see for themselves how easy and fun learning to ski can be.

The next information evenings are

InfoAft Sun 31Oct. 15:00,

InfoEve Tue 2Nov 19:00, and

InfoEve Tue 9Nov 19:00.

And for those of you that have completed the course or can ski a bit already, there is an advanced weekend on the 4th and 5th of December.

what's covered on the advanced weekend? I guess I need to buzz Ken an email - but is it much harder than the 3rd weekend of the normal course?

cheers

When I did the advanced course we did carving, skiing bumps and a little deep snow skiing but I guess it depends on the conditions -- you can't do deep snow skiing if there is not much snow.

I found the advanced weekend a bit more difficult than the third weekend, just like I found the third weekend more difficult than the second weekend. But we did repeat again everything I'd learned in the first three weekends and that was not too difficult...

Yeah, as nomis said it depends on the weather really. If it is snowing then Ken will drop everything and do deep snow skiing. Otherwise its more carving, moguls and maybe some small jumps.

what's covered on the advanced weekend? I guess I need to buzz Ken an email - but is it much harder than the 3rd weekend of the normal course?

We normally get a range of ability in the students - so we simply try to split the groups accordingly.

And as its the very start of the season people are usual somewhat rusty ...

So don't worry .. :)

We (both ski-ers, learner and medium) had our 3-1/2 year-old daughter on the January 2010 course, and by the end of a short weekend she was *really* ski-ing!! We were both stunned, and our daughter was just laughing and asking for more! After that, on family ski outings, by the end of March our little girl was doing Draxelhang (Lenggries) at one shot comfortably, and taking the lift by herself (with us following). To be honest, I was skeptical about starting her early, but there was no pressure; the 1 or 2 young kids on the course (maybe a dozen kids total) who couldn't quite get up to speed had lots of fun regardless, and the ones who were capable, well, they got a great start! On our first 'ski trips' after the short ski course, our daughter was asking where Ken was, she wanted to show him how she could ski, and she today still says 'thank-you Ken' ;-)

I've also seen Ken in action (Austria and Germany) getting first-time adult skiers going on the weekend course; it's a real pleasure to see both young and old learning naturally and enjoying this sport!

Whether you know the Alps or not, you'll learn how to smoothly and comfortably approach any ski resort, with or without your children, and get on the slopes without concern or hesitation. How to get your kit on, get in line, get on the lift, get down the piste; Ken's courses are *very* affordable, fun, and perhaps the best way to get into the world of Alpine / family ski-ing!!

I've used eBay.de to find ski equipment (boots, ski's) for my daughter, it's cost less than 20 euro to get her fully kitted out, and I got short ski's for myself (30 euro) to better pace her. My tip is, search eBay ski auctions for used (gebraucht) kit, then use the 'Entfernung' option (distance from your postcode) to find kit nearby and simply pick it up - in my case the seller everytime simply threw in at no cost other items like ski goggles and poles when I showed up to collect. Starting ski-ing isn't expensive! Just ask Ken...

I recommend highly both Ken, and this type of 'learning to ski', to you and your kids :-)

Have fun!

Really Enjoyed skiing with Ken last year, I did basically just two weekends (couldn't do the third due to travel commitments)but am now able to do a blue run very, very comfortably. it is the enjoyment that matters - the progression from being an absolute beginner to being to do the sport :)

What kind of prices are the course? Seems pretty hard to get a figure (so i'm guessing it's large! :) )

Was about EUR 200 for each weekend (there are three weekends) plus lunch and dinner each day when I did it in 2009.

If you have a car and can drive yourself or if you already have your own equipment then it is a bit cheaper, if skiing conditions are bad then I think they drive to Stubai glacier instead which makes it a bit more expensive. And I think the price of the rooms at the Gasthaus vary too. There is no single set price.

For people interested in learning to ski in Jan/Feb 2012 the Parallel Ski course is on again.

The next free information evenings are

InfoEve Tue25Oct 19:00

InfoAft Sun30Oct. 15:00

InfoEve Thur3Nov 19:00

The info evenings are in Munich near Quiddestr u-bahn with pickup available.

To sign up for an Info Eve email ken.

parallel_skiing AT gmx . com

Hi everyone!

There are 2 more info eves added to the ones Johan mentioned previously:

InfoEve Wed 9Nov 19:00

InfoEve Mon 14Nov 19:00

This is an excerpt from Ken's e-mail:

BEGINNER COURSES

Beginner courses for adults start at the weekend of 7 Jan, to the

weekend of 4 Feb but we need signups now.

INFOEVES

Before the course starts, beginners must come to my house one

evening for general information, boot fitting, and a few ski exercises.

We will discuss the costs in detail at the InfoEve. The InfoEve itself is free

and non-binding. The earlier beginners come, the larger the boot selection.

Even those who are skeptical should come along to an InfoEve

and see for themselves how easy and fun learning to ski can be.

I did the course with Ken and can only wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who's interested in learning how to ski! The course is in English, and the whole experience was for me like a school trip all over again, not to mention the lovely people I got to meet. The method is amazingly easy, and one basically learns how to ski without even noticing it :o Most of the time, one has a feeling it's all just playing around ;-), and then suddenly you're capable of going down the black slope after 3 weekends!

Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or - even better - send an e-mail to Ken on parallel_skiing[at]gmx.de to apply for an info eve (no strings attached, even if you come for boot fitting and basic info and exercises) and see for yourselves!

Hope to see you on the slopes! :-)

Can somebody post this year's course schedule please?

When will the ThirdWeekend course start and when will be the last change for 1stWeekend?

Thanks!

BTW, for anybody who is considering learning skiing, I recommended this course whole-heartedly.

@AshwinRichard: sorry, I can't - Parallel Skiing e.V. is simply the best :) . Also see Ken on "Viele Vorteile im Kurs" http://www.familothek.de/index.php/titelgeschichten/82-headlines-positionen-s1-s3/234-das-lernst-du-von-mir-eltern-als-sportlehrer

Have a great winter everyone!

Go learn to ski with Ken. You will not regret it and you have the most fun. I did his course this year and have nothing but praise for his methods, his instructors,

His organization and passion he puts into this school. If you are in doubt just go for the first weekend, you will instantly know if you want to continue, plus you meet other skiers who have learnt through ken and you can see how much you can progress in three weekends.

So it's time to start signing up for the course in January/February 2013.

Just e-mail Ken on <kenlawler@gmx.de> or PM me for more details.

He'll reply with the current information evening details so you can have a free introduction to the course, and try on boots.

Do it now, you won't regret it!!!