How many colds can one get in a season?

30 posts in this topic

I have had back to back colds for what seems like months now, and my son and husband have as well (so I can't really blame weak immunity). Is this a pretty typical reaction of moving to Germany? Do I really just need to wear a scarf and avoid drafts? ;)

Anyway, it's driving me batty, so I actually got a flu shot! (which made me feel ill for a day... fever, etc).

Did this happen to others after moving here?

[*excuses herself to blow nose*]

I have a bloody head cold too but I am so busy that I m working from home nonetheless :(

I had a cold 2 weeks ago but it ran its course and was gone in 3 days. Make some nice homemade chicken soup, the nlong way with loads of fresh veggies and a bird!

No, this has nothing to do with moving to Germany, but with your personal immune system (possibly weakened if you were very stressed about moving or for some other reason) or with bad luck for happening to come into contact with a lot of people with colds who infected you.

Getting a flu jab will do nothing to prevent you from getting colds either. It is - strangely enough - to protect from the flu (and not even THE flu, but the particular strain/s that have been deemed to be rife this season).

oh, and whenever you move to a new place you will become exposed to a multitude of infections that you do not yet have immunity too while all the usual residents are immune. This is even more true in University towns where large adult populations converge there three times per year from all over the worl bringing their own nasty little infections with them.

since i've started working at a company with nearly 8,000 people in one location, i am sicker than i ever have been before. i get about 4 or 5 colds a year, compared to my time before working here, when i had 1 a year. my colleagues get it from their kids, they bring it to work, stay home, but someelse gets a cold from their kids, bring it to work... my boss, who has his own office, seems immune!

Yeah, I figure the fact that my son is in Kindergarten with tons of snot-nosed kids isn't helping, and neither is the fact that I just started teaching kids English. I have been exposed to about 50 snot-nosed kids doing the latter...

I take Zinc to boost my immune system, my GP recommended it. it's quite cheap at Lidl and Aldi. & only had one cold so far this year!

Stay away from other members of the human race as much as possible is the only answer. Having said that, I sit in an office in front of a guy who blows his massive hooter every 3 minutes, and a girl behind me who sounds like she's about to cough her lungs up, and I haven't had a 'real' cold or flu for about 2 years. I put if down to my mum not being obsessed with using disinfectants all over the house when I was a kid, and feeding me brown lentils and spinach every other night of the week :(

I have a doc appt today, so I will ask about the zinc. You have to be a bit careful with it, as it can be bad if you take too much.

Happened to me, too, when I moved to California. Plus, I always had the pleasure of getting the full load of whatever bug I had was capable off. My husband, used to the strains there, would be sick for a couple of days while I would be out off commission for a good 10 days with some bronchitis thrown in. Fun stuff. I guess just wash your hands a lot and know that your immune system is probably actually getting a boost from adapting to the new environment.

Daily cocktail recommended by my ENT: 50mg vitamin C and a zinc tablet, add multivitamin and/or magnesium ad libidum. Keep your airways hydrated (saline nose spray, drink lots of water, air heated rooms several times a day). I had my first bout of bronchitis in three years last week and haven't had a severe cold in five years thanks to his advice.

Or you could walk around looking really attractive like this, it ensures that the Germans do not stare and they will stay away from you!

post-11459-1226568766.jpg

Daily cocktail recommended by my ENT: 50mg vitamin C and a zinc tablet, add multivitamin and/or magnesium ad libidum. Keep your airways hydrated (saline nose spray, drink lots of water, air heated rooms several times a day). I had my first bout of bronchitis in three years last week and haven't had a severe cold in five years thanks to his advice.

I was watching Galileo last week where the one of the topics was cold and flus - facts and myths, and they said that all of this was not necessary. A good diet with fruit and vedge are more than sufficient.

I would get tested for allergies. I lived in AZ for 5.5 yrs and never realized, I was allergic to dust. Doh!

I was sick every month for the first 16, after moving to Germany.

I know someone who wears a mask when he travels on airplanes. freak!

What people already said, you moved to a new country and you do not have all the antibodies to fight the local viruses. I was grippe-weak even before moving here, the first couple of years I got like 6 flues per year, now I am back to normal, 2 or 3 per year.

After the first year here I went back home and brought back a cold from my country, a colleague got it and literally almost died. He still likes me.

Something that finally clicked with me after years of flying around, is that I nearly always seemed to start a cold about 3/5 days after flying. I haven't had one for ages (finger crossed :huh: ) but in the UK a few days after landing, felt it coming on, that horrible coldy feeling with slight sore throat. I was due to visit friends I hadn't seen for ages and ages, so went to Boots to ask for something to "dry" it up when it did arrive. They gave me something called "First Defence", a nose spray (ugh) that you use 4 times a day while symptoms last, then for an extra 2 days. It worked, brilliant.

Now I've seen it advertised here on TV called something like "?Erste Abwehr" (anyway something Abwehr) by Vick. When you use it, it actually makes you feel for about 15 mins as though you do have a cold, but it really did work. Also took Echinacea tabs. About time now to throw away the first one, and buy another just in case.

I have had back to back colds for what seems like months now,

You are probably confusing allergies with multiple colds. This is the time of year that mold pops up in living and working environments. Mold allergies mimic colds and in severe cases even mimic the flu.

No, this has nothing to do with moving to Germany,

Dude, you obviously know zilch about the immune system and how it works. It has everything to do with your environment PERIOD!

I was watching Galileo last week where the one of the topics was cold and flus - facts and myths, and they said that all of this was not necessary.

I didn't say it and wasn't going to say it, but BINGO!!!

If you want to avoid the various viruses, then get a flu vaccine, stop the cheek kissing and the constant obnoxious hand shaking! AND wash your hands regularly!