Pay-as-you-go mobile broadband internet in Germany

297 posts in this topic

Also, look into changing your service provider, because 1und1 usually locks you into a 1-2 year plan.  O2 has a monthly plan that you can cancel 2-3 weeks before the end of the month, for 50k DSL for 15-30€ per month for the first year.

But I think you're locked into 1und1 unless you move to a location that they don't cover, or if you move into a shared flat that already has internet.

Instead of buying a Tschibo stick, which will only work with a Tschibo SIM card, I suggest investing €30 more on a mi-fi router (such as this one). It works with any SIM card, and it creates a wi-fi hotspot that all your wi-fi enabled devices can connect to.

It's a useful device to have, especially when traveling abroad: you buy a local pre-paid SIM card, put it in the mi-fi router, and you and your travel companions have hassle-free internet access everywhere.

If you use your existing iPhone or some old smartphone lying around, you won't have to buy an additional device, as long as your iPhone or old smartphone are unlocked and support the frequencies that the SIM card service provider uses.

Are there any mobile broadband plans that are suited to heavy users? I've looked up Aldi Talk and their biggest plan is 1.5GB for 9.99. Would last me less than 2 days. 

I can't make much sense of the LIDL offers but they appear to all offer pathetically low data quotas.

5 GB is 15€ for both of the ones you mentioned.  You just have to figure out how to get the add on package and whether they're valid for the package you want.

Disable automatic updates, don't watch videos, and using media compression servers, like from Google Chrome (app) or Opera mini will reduce your consumption by half.

Thanks for the advice Thomas! So how do I get those add-ons? 

Are they 4g (LTE) speeds? Or only 3G? 

I don't know, I don't use them.  Normally after you buy the SIM card and create an online account you can browse through the packages and add ons.

You could give the hotline a call and ask them.

Probably 3G.

No worries. Thanks for feedback. Is it normal that German vendors don't actually advertise crucial stuff like this? 

When Lidl used to be with Fonic they did advertise the addons clearly but after they switched service providers they reorganized their website.  It's possible the addons are still available for mix and match, otherwise since the 5 GB addon seems to be only displayed on the Internet Stick page, perhaps it is only available with an Internet Stick SIM, however all SIMs should be the same, so logically you should be able to change the plans and add-ons.  Or maybe they only list the 5 GB on the Internet Stick page to try to get people to buy the stick.  You should call them to ask if you can get the 5 GB addon with the Classic or XS or whatever call package you want.

But be careful because German telecoms are stupid in that they only allow one add on at a time.  They may cancel your other add-on if you try to signup for a new one, and then sometimes they only start on the 1st of each month if you are changing from one add-on to another add-on, so you may have to wait up to 29-30 days to get it to start.

I am resurrecting this thread as I will probably be living in a place soon where I will require buying a surf stick for my internet.

I am looking for a way to access internet via my laptop and I reckon a PAYG surf stick is the best option.

I do not know my exact address yet, so cannot check yet about the availability, but it should be able to access the main providers (centre of small provincial town).

I was thinking of going with the Congstar prepaid internet stick after doing my own research. Does anyone here have any better recommendations or warnings against this company? I do a lot of web browsing, but very little streaming and prefer simplicity and functionality over anything else.

Sumarokov-Elston,

O2 and Vodafone both offer cellular data plans with a cellular router.  With O2 it is called O2 my home.  Vodafone has a GigaCube plans similar to the O2 plans. Vodafone also offers a "FLEX" plan where you are only charged in the months you use the device.  You'll have to check to see how their coverage is where you're at.  Might be a better option (more data at a cheaper price).  

S.

Winsim, one of the Drillisch offers, will get you 20gb / month for €20. That's with a rolling monthly contract.

But you have to pick a flat rate,  not really pay for what you actually use.

Congstar = T-Mobile Netz, which is supposed to have the best coverage. Recently I had 3 weeks of no service from the T-Mobile Netz, but then as all the providers use the same tower it probably wouldn't have made any difference. Mostly I was glad I had DSL.

I didn't think anyone did those sticks anymore, having been replaced by the mini-routers.