International schools in Hamburg

13 posts in this topic

I am currently considering moving back to Germany with my 13 and 14 year old children. My son attends 7th grade and my daughter is in her first year of High School. What schools offer English as the main instruction language? So far I only found the Internationale Schule eV in Hamburg and it is very expansive.

That school is the only one I found when I did the research. I read that the school isn't that great, perhaps due to lack of competition; this is probably also the reason for the astronomical fees.

I think, ISH is great, at least junior school, where my daughter goes to. Fees are exactly the same as they were in South Korea, where we were previously. I don't say that they are low, but normally these money (same as in our case) paid by companies, which send their employees abroad. In ISH it's a bit different, since almost half of the students are Germans, coming obviously from rich families, which can afford this private school fees.

Last year ISH board voted for a new clause, which was about admitting certain number of children, independent of their income. Try to get some more information about it. Good luck!

Apart from the international school, are their other english schoold for children between 3-9 years old.

One in Bergedorf, one in Wandsbek and one near the Musikhalle in the Innenstadt. These three schools offer a class with immersive English from Grade one. No experience of them however and I do not believe they are actually taught by native speakers...

Hi,

there is the Phorms School Hamburg, a bilingual school with english and german. The school started this year with middle school year 1-4 (grade 1-4). They are planning to have a nursery and reception next September 2009.

They do have native speaker, the head of the school is british.

Hope it helps

kalimapa

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello all,

we will move to Hamburg next year.

I am italian, my wife is Japanese, and we live in England. English is our only common language. We have a young daugther.

I have read here about bilingual settigns for children, some private and expensive and some public.

Can anyone share information about other languages? Japanese? Italian?

Thanks,

A

Hi Gambatte -

http://www.schule-doehrnstrasse.hamburg.de/index.php/ had an italian class for grade 1-4, which used to continue on http://www.corvey.hamburg.de/index.php/ for grade 5-12. However this year it seams Corvey discontinues the italian class - I have though no details, you should investigate with the schools.

Good luck,

Antje

I went to ISH many years ago, and have been a teacher in what is considered an outstanding state school in the UK. ISH is very expensive, which is probably why at least in my day most UK kids went back to England at 11 to go to boarding school, but it was a very nurturing and encouraging environment, of which I have many fond memories. The IB is a good qualification, and I went to Russell Group unis for my BA and my MSc, and a (UK born) classmate got an offer from Oxford, so the teaching can't have been too bad :-) I at least think it was a lot better than the school I taught at...

I know this thread is old, but as it comes up on searches frequently for people looking for alternatives to ISH, I figured I would post that there is a recently opened international school in Pinneberg outside Hamburg.  It is much cheaper than ISH!  There is also a Japanese school in Halstenbek.

Hi guys,

If you're looking for English-speaking maths tuition for your children, pop me an email (paulandrewfarrow@gmail.com). I've worked as a tutor for over 10 years, have a PhD and understand both German and International courses in Hamburg.

Cheers.

On 27.3.2018, 22:17:04, Pure Nelson said:

There is also a Japanese school in Halstenbek.

Halstenbek has a huge Japanese community. Most Japanese families stay "short", say 1-5yr, so they do not even bother to try to integrate into Germany. Bear in mind for Japanese is much more difficult to learn foreign languages than for most other people. So the Japanese school offers "normal" japanese schooling, German is taught extremely little, like few hr/week as a foreign language. 

A different format in the same premises offers "added" Japanese schooling, Saturday mornings, aimed at pupils that typically have one parent Japanese.

For the record, I've been in contact with Japan and japanese for ca 20yr, my wife is Japanese (a teacher), and our child of course too.