Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BMI - Direct flights Edinburgh <-> Munich

24 posts in this topic

For all you Scots in Munich (or those who want to visit Bonny Scotland) see article below from Scotland on Sunday yesterday:

BMI on verge of Munich link

BMI, the UK’s second largest scheduled airline, is thought to be on the verge of relaunching a direct service between Edinburgh and Munich.

The route had originally been operated by Duo, before the Birmingham-based airline collapsed into receivership last May. BMI, which operates from five Scottish airports, is expected to break even when it announces its annual results later this month, having made a £9.1m loss last year.

Seb (soon to be living in Munich too!)

Or you could go with sodding Easyshit and come back a full day late cos 4hrs isnt enough bloody time between connections apparently. rage!

this direct connection would please me no end. lets start a petition. :)

Thats great news! Oh to travel there in 2 hours instead of wasting a whole bleeding day...

Also for you south Scottish and Northerners Hapag Lloyd Express are starting direct flights to Newcastle, at last not everything rotates around london!!

They start in April I think.

the flights to Newcastle start in March already

grtho already posted it up last month

I'm getting quite giddy about the idea of flying to Newcastle, it's just up the road from me mam's! :D

I'd do Ryaniar from Frankfurt to Glasgow. Train trip from here to Frankfurt is a bit of a bore (and pricey) but the flight to Gleesgy is about 3p.

Got a wedding in June - but its pleasure, not work.

only once a week to Newcastle initially but I think they are increasing to 2 or 3 times per week in April. Quite excited at the prospect too

I was really excited when I saw this first of all.

For a while BMI were advertising flights from MUN to Edin. I think a few people even booked them.

However I have looked and I can't see this flight on either the Lufthansa or the BMI website... does that mean that it has all sold out already? or cancelled / delayed.

Also I have seen the following article LINK and I'm wondering what is going on.

Can anyone who has booked a flight already let me know if they've been told anything further, or if I'm just being silly and not looking hard enough.

Thanks all.

they were planning to start in march 2006 but when i last checked you could only buy fully flexible tickets which cost an arm, leg, foot and several other body parts (i'm talking around the grand mark). otherwise that article looks like they've pulled the flights completely now, pending an outcome to their feud with edinburgh airport.

When did you book these flights for? Maybe I've been searching during a busy period. I searched yesterday and it's was still the extortionate prices for the dates I chose.

EDI to MUC 14th April going back 17th ie Easter weekend. I just randomly checked again a week or so ago and the prices were cheap and so booked.

BMI seem to be playing games again :angry:

Check out my previous post ;

Jet2 airlines seek destinations from Edinburgh

and others in the thread.

I've already got my ticket for next year's Wiesn - it's the old traditional airline tickets they post you, not an online e-ticket.

It seems to be a pot luck sort of game - they are not even showing the direct flights on the site now, as of 30 secs ago. :huh:

BMI's plans for direct flights between Edinburgh and Munich have been axed.

scotsman.com: BMI cancels Munich service

The new route, which was scheduled for take-off next spring, was seen as a major coup for the Capital and would have provided a business and tourist link between Scotland and Bavaria.

BMI British Midland, in partnership with Lufthansa, advertised the route earlier this year and tickets have been on sale over the internet for months.

But in a surprise move last night, the airline pulled the plug on the service - forcing hundreds of passengers to find a new way of getting to Germany.

It is understood that Munich Airport was not able to supply a morning flight slot for BMI, which the airline insisted was vital to make the route a success.

As an ex employee of BMI I can honestly say they are indeed a crap firm. The Airline has constantly entered and exited markets like no other in the business. The only reason they are still afloat is that Lufthansa bails them out on their massive losses which they make just about every year although Lufty is finding it hard to offload them. Even if the they launced the route it probably would have only lasted about a year!

oh and just another thought - they probably got the worst safety record in British airline history!

Yes it's true, BMI have pulled out of the route. No doubt I'll be getting a shitty refund for the flight I booked a couple of months ago. Now for the hassle of getting other flights at a reasonable price? Thanks BMI!!!

flybmi is worst flights and service , they frequetly chnage their schedule . pls donttravel fm by this airline you will miss ur connecting flights

As an ex employee of BMI I can honestly say they are indeed a crap firm. The Airline has constantly entered and exited markets like no other in the business. The only reason they are still afloat is that Lufthansa bails them out on their massive losses which they make just about every year although Lufty is finding it hard to offload them

Never a truer word said - I did their multi-hosting system while still at a certain yellow airline and if it wasn't for Star Alliance... having said that, if you're in the market for a airmiles card, BMI apparently gets you to Senator-equivalent status far quicker than any other SA partner. Means that you have to have had at least a flight with them though (I'm not sure if that is worth it though).